Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Biking etiquette (FAO Experienced Hooners)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:10 - 18 Mar 2005    Post subject: Biking etiquette (FAO Experienced Hooners) Reply with quote

Hi, today on my 'dear god its warm, im free, and i have a cbr 600 to play on) hoon earlier on't buntingford road, two things struck me.

On one of the latter corners it was covered in mud and it caught me out a tad (fucking trucks) and then an R6 was coming along a little bit further along, and i tried to figure out a way to warn him to slow down, and in the end just nodded, then wave my hand up and down. Dunno if he noticed/cared but i tried.

Then i came back down, and caught up with some B.A.B:OD on a GSXR 750. Big line of traffic, was sitting behind him. Anyway a big straight came up and we both went for it, both thought no well crash, so tucked back in. Long story short that happened a few times and we ended up toddling along at about 70 odd with traffic, neither of us having any fun. He didnt look happy when he went back up.

Any advice for how best to 'deal' with those situations.
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

flat spot
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Aug 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:18 - 18 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Then i came back down, and caught up with some B.A.B:OD on a GSXR 750. Big line of traffic, was sitting behind him. Anyway a big straight came up and we both went for it, both thought no well crash, so tucked back in. Long story short that happened a few times and we ended up toddling along at about 70 odd with traffic, neither of us having any fun. He didnt look happy when he went back up.



I'd like to help but have no idea what you're talking about.

As for the mud/coppers etc, a couple of flashes and thumbs down is the thing to do. Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser



Joined: 20 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:18 - 18 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to flash my lights to warn of things,

Depends on the situation and how comfortable/stable the other guy looks. If they're hesitating I might well overtake and give them a wide berth in case they decide to pull out also. All depends how clear it is with traffic coming from the other way, and how many junctions about.

If he's hesitated a few times you could take that as a sign he's waiting for you to pass... but again quite a few riders, and especially BAB's not used to their machine, can be unpredictable.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

TheShaggyDA
Repost Police



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:22 - 18 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
On one of the latter corners it was covered in mud and it caught me out a tad (fucking trucks) and then an R6 was coming along a little bit further along, and i tried to figure out a way to warn him to slow down, and in the end just nodded, then wave my hand up and down. Dunno if he noticed/cared but i tried.


I normally give an up/down slowing down hand signal. They may not know what the hazard is I'm warning them about, (mud, speed trap, broken down car etc.) but if it means they are hitting the corner paying more attention than they would, then it's done its job.

If they think to themselves "wanker, I ain't going too fast" then hopefully they put 2 and 2 together while they are pulling themselves out of a hedge.

Quote:
Then i came back down, and caught up with some B.A.B:OD on a GSXR 750. Big line of traffic, was sitting behind him. Anyway a big straight came up and we both went for it, both thought no well crash, so tucked back in. Long story short that happened a few times and we ended up toddling along at about 70 odd with traffic, neither of us having any fun. He didnt look happy when he went back up.


If you mean that you both were sitting behind a big line of traffic, as opposed to a big line of traffic was sitting behind him, then in those situations I let the other guy have first pop. If he is capable of doing it, then eventually I may follow him. If he arses about, then I'll go instead. However, if the traffic is doing 70mph, then I'm happy to sit with the traffic.
____________________
Current: CB500 Previous: CB100N, CB250RS, XJ900F, GT550, GPZ750R/1000RX, AJS M16, R100RT, Enfield Bullet

[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:25 - 18 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Flatspot

Basically, i was sitting behind someone on a more powerful bike (slightly) then mine, and when opportunities to overtake came up we were left with the 'who shall go first thing'

My main point was, is there an accepted 'code' for the following or leading one goes first etc?

:edit: @ shaggy

Its a NSL road which i usually do 100 solidly through at least, dropping to about 60 on one or two corners. And i go to play on it to start with, its not a case of taking it to get somewhere, or you are right, id be happy at 70.
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage



Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:29 - 18 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well what I probably would have done is wait a couple of safe times to pass, if he didn't look like he was gonna move i'd take it later on, however if he kept hesitating if you really needed to get somewhere, I'd take the far right of the next lane just incase he pulled out. Hope that makes sense. As long as it was really safe to pass I would do so. Smile
____________________
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:40 - 18 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon B wrote:
Well what I probably would have done is wait a couple of safe times to pass, if he didn't look like he was gonna move i'd take it later on, however if he kept hesitating if you really needed to get somewhere, I'd take the far right of the next lane just incase he pulled out. Hope that makes sense. As long as it was really safe to pass I would do so. Smile


Thing is it was a repeated mexican standoff. Either we both tried and stopped, or we both waited for the other to go. And i just thought sooner or later it was going to end up messy.
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage



Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:45 - 18 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well at least you was sensible and didn't risk it. Smile
____________________
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dom
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:50 - 18 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonny_ricardo wrote:
Thing is it was a repeated mexican standoff. Either we both tried and stopped, or we both waited for the other to go. And i just thought sooner or later it was going to end up messy.


I tend to find a right leg waggle at the bike behind combined with moving over a bit easily gets across 'feel free to overtake'. As for catching up to slower bikes, it shouldn't really be any different to a car imo - pick a safe place and go for it. If the guy doesn't want to accept he corners like a little girl and opens the throttle at the hint of a straight I'd say back off and let him ride himself into a bush instead of taking you with him. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser



Joined: 20 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:50 - 18 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point, better to get a little frustrated than end up in A&E.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:51 - 18 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon B wrote:
Well at least you was sensible and didn't risk it. Smile


Told you im a better rider these days Wink
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:02 - 18 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arm out straight ish. Hand flat and horizontal, waved up and down. Used specifically for slow down.
Thumbs up/down usually means slow down police ahead or similar.

I wouldn't try and overtake another rider that might try and overtake. If I did, I would do it when there was plenty of room on the other side of the road and swing out right into the opposing lane.

If the other person is obviously sticking in to traffic, then I would go for it cautiously. Otherwise, stick back and wait for a better opportunity.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Claud 14.7 to 1
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:20 - 18 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wave arm up and down, like others say to warn of a hazard, it means "slowing down" in the highway code, that's why it's used. But you probably already know that, thought I'd say anyway. Wink

As for the confusion. I'd make it clear what I want to do. If he were ahead, I'd hold back and make 100% he wasn't going to go for the filter. If you are close then you both will be unsure, make your actions clear.

Nothing worse than confusion/hesitation, bike or car.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:37 - 18 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Arm out straight ish. Hand flat and horizontal, waved up and down.


Pretty much what i did. And i noted a lack of plastic about so i assume he heeded.

As for the overtaking, it depends on mood to be brutally honest.

I think he would have felt happier if id have blasted past, but the first time i tried he came out too. And if hed have gone for it then id have been fine, but he kinda dawdled. So i had visions of whacking straight up his butt.

As predicted though im bored of the power already, but it dont half get me into trouble on occasion (ahem tractor ahem). Im just trying to be judicious as much as possible. I mean most cagers accept you will go for it first and be well away so no issue. Whereas if they go first then they are blocking your lane.

But bikes... hmmm. Ill admit im only just starting to get the best acceleration out of my bike. I may start up another thread about proper use of 600 inline 4's (think anyone would mind) re. snapping throttle shut mid corner, power wheelies, and avoiding rev limiters in first when doing overtakes (im usually watching what the cars doing rather then the revs and sometimes i miss it... )
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Vespa
Traffic Copper



Joined: 12 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:09 - 18 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

.

Last edited by Vespa on 22:54 - 31 Oct 2005; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Silver
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:28 - 18 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vespa wrote:
In Italy, the rider in the back sounds two short beeps to indicate s/he's overtaking the one infront.


That's what all drivers (not just bikes) do in Asia. It gets very noisy!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The#Doctor#
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:59 - 18 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonny_ricardo wrote:



B. I may start up another thread about proper use of 600 inline 4's (think anyone would mind) re. snapping throttle shut mid corner, power wheelies, and avoiding rev limiters in first when doing overtakes (im usually watching what the cars doing rather then the revs and sometimes i miss it... )


Yeah definately start one as ive only had my cbr600 for about 6 weeks after coming off a 125 so think it would be really helpfull Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DukeRed
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:05 - 19 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonny Ricardo wrote:
Its a NSL road which i usually do 100 solidly through at least, dropping to about 60 on one or two corners.


That's pretty damn fast, maybe I'm a pussy on the Buntingford-Baldock cos I crashed on it but I couldn't imagine 100 along all of it. Haven't done it in a while but I remember quite a few scarily blind sharp corners.
____________________
Enjoy Life There's Plenty of Time to be Dead
https://www.janoner.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:37 - 19 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

DukeRed wrote:
Bonny Ricardo wrote:
Its a NSL road which i usually do 100 solidly through at least, dropping to about 60 on one or two corners.


That's pretty damn fast, maybe I'm a pussy on the Buntingford-Baldock cos I crashed on it but I couldn't imagine 100 along all of it. Haven't done it in a while but I remember quite a few scarily blind sharp corners.


There is but one. A quick s-bend and thats it. If memory serves you crashed a hell of a lot tho...
Let me know where abouts you are and ill be more then happy to trundle down there with you.
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:57 - 19 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I generally do the waving of arm "slowing down" signal then point at the road if there is time to indicate something wrong with the road surface. So kind of "wave, wave. Point, point"

Overtaking thing I would usually give him time to go first, once there is a bit of a gap between you you can both make progress at your own pace. If he repeatedly bottled out when you thought you could go, I would move up and pass him so I was in the lead then have a crack myself.

He should be able to tell by your road positioning that you want to move up on him and tuck in a bit to let you past in the same lane. If he looked like he didn't like the idea of this, I would just back-off and leave him to it whilst swearing under my breath. If he looked like he hadn't noticed, give him a wide bearth so you don't get tangled up in whatever he does next because it could be anything.

"Move up or move over." is what I was always told Wink
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 198 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.72 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 117.21 Kb