|
|
| Author |
Message |
| R4nger |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 R4nger World Chat Champion

Joined: 05 Jan 2005 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| tatters |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 tatters Exxon Valdez

Joined: 05 Jan 2004 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 19:09 - 28 Mar 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
holy crap
gearbox and varoius bearings, and l can see parts of thrush washers ____________________ Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650,KZ750 Present:G650XC,C12,CRF450X,1190ADV |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| TheShaggyDA |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 TheShaggyDA Repost Police

Joined: 14 Jun 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 19:15 - 28 Mar 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Looks like a smorgesborg; I think there's a bit of everything in there  ____________________ Current: CB500 Previous: CB100N, CB250RS, XJ900F, GT550, GPZ750R/1000RX, AJS M16, R100RT, Enfield Bullet
[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581] |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Finglonga |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Finglonga World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 20:42 - 28 Mar 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
JEEBUS ! That looks like the bottom of a lathe.
What happened? It certainly looks terminal. ____________________ Andy Sez....
F.Y.Y.F.F. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| DukeRed |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 DukeRed World Chat Champion

Joined: 07 Mar 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 21:48 - 28 Mar 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Was that in your bike??? Or did you put that stuff in there for some reason? ____________________ Enjoy Life There's Plenty of Time to be Dead
https://www.janoner.com |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MarJay |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MarJay But it's British!

Joined: 15 Sep 2003 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 22:18 - 28 Mar 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
When people use the phrase 'bucket of bolts' You never ever ever believe you will see something that would fit that description. Its like saying 'that man is a thousand years old' and then meeting him and finding out he was born in 1005.
...
...
Speechless. ____________________ British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MarJay |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MarJay But it's British!

Joined: 15 Sep 2003 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 22:21 - 28 Mar 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Oh, I think I need a to complete the look.  ____________________ British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 01:21 - 29 Mar 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Well, I have seen bits of metal like that before in my bike.
I am hoping that is a photo of the inside of the front sprocket cover for the final drive chain, in which case your chain is falling to bits.
They look like broken bits of bushing from a bike chain clarted on the inside of the sprocket cover with loads of lube fling to me.
The bushing is the metal 'collar' that sits over the pins that hold your chain links together to make it roll over the sprockets in a friction-free maner (when oiled). I had a chain do that once, I have no idea why.
I hope I am right, then you just need to buy a new chain.
https://www.didchain.com/daihard.jpg ____________________ “Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| bish777 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 bish777 World Chat Champion

Joined: 11 Nov 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| binge |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 binge Emo Kiddy

Joined: 03 Jul 2004 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| R4nger |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 R4nger World Chat Champion

Joined: 05 Jan 2005 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 11:56 - 29 Mar 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
It is the sump cover of my old GS500 engine. After 50-100 miles after buying it I was on the M25 and it justed to judder and get progressively worse like fuel starvation. In the end I had to pull over since I was getting no trottle response. Then it would not do anything after (e.g. start). Only had about 1 foot of hard shoulder because I was on a major slip road. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 13:34 - 29 Mar 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Oh dear.
May I add
I would take a look under the side covers to see if the clutch or alternator are falling to bits but I suspect with that degree of detritus in the sump, the job is knackered. You would really want to be splitting the engine because chances are, that junk is all over the place. Given it is a GS500, it would be cheaper (and easier) to just get an engine from a breakers.
If you are handy with a spanner and don't need to use the bike for a bit it might be an interesting exercise to tear it down yourself and have a look-see. It wont cost you anything more than time to take the thing apart, bear in mind that it may cost more than the engine is worth to buy the bits to fix it so don't get caught out like I have (I once ran up a bill for over £200 of parts when a replacement engine was only £250, add in four days working on the bike and I made the wrong choice). Treat it as an oppertunity to learn more about the inside of your engine. ____________________ “Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 21 years, 188 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|