Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

minimum tread depth

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

White Noise
Mr Dudwee

PostPosted: 20:52 - 03 Apr 2005    Post subject: minimum tread depth Reply with quote

Right i am being really lazy but cound someone tell me the minimum tread depth for tyres, i have been told that its 1 mm but i thought it was at least 2mm over 75% of the tyre, i have measured it with a depth gauge and its 1.46mm so i hope the minimum is 1mm, i have my MOT in may so i will get replaced for that! by the way its the rear, the front is fine.
Cheers
WN
Riding Tip #86: See God, then back off a bit: Problem is i haven't seen god yet, just a close up of tarmac on revett straight
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 20:55 - 03 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fairly sure it is 1mm Thumbs Up

tatters
Exxon Valdez

PostPosted: 20:55 - 03 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

tread must be over 2mm for motorbikes in the centre, most tyres have wear inducators in the centre tread.

as long as there is visable tread on the tyre for mopeds
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650 Present:G650XC,C12,KZ750,1190ADV
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jrod
Page 3 Girl

PostPosted: 21:00 - 03 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The legal limit for motorcycle tyre tread depth is 1.0mm

Retro-Man
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:07 - 03 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The legal limit for motorcycles is 1.0mm and 1.6mm for car tyres. In both cases you must have minimum tread depth across the central 3 quarters of the the tread, throughout the whole circumference of the tyre.

Cheers
Retro
p.s. not all tyres are born equal in the case of car tyres new tyres can have between 7mm and 10mm of tread although the usual is 8mm.

motorcycle tyres tend to have 3mm of tread when new.

DanceLikeAMon...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:41 - 03 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
most tyres have wear inducators in the centre tread

Yup, if you look a the side of your tyre, you will see a series of small arrows at regular intervals, these point to where the indicator is on the centre of the tyre (I think that's on all tyres anyway Confused )

Retro-Man
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:45 - 03 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

or in the case of michelin it will be the michelin man "bibendum"

Johnny GSX-R
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:28 - 04 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The actual legal requirment for motorcycle tread depth is 1mm across 2/3rds of the trye and constant visible tread across 100%.

So, if your tyre is wearing thin in the middle don't panic, as long as there IS visible tread around the full tyre and at least 2 thirds of the tyre are 1mm or over then you should be fine.
However, if you let your tyres get in such a state then you want a slap Confused

JonT
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 17:32 - 04 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to have 1.0mm but I would seriously considering replacing tires before that, probably at 1.3mm.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 17:33 - 04 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny 'XX' wrote:
The actual legal requirment for motorcycle tread depth is 1mm across 2/3rds of the trye and constant visible tread across 100%...

Thumbs Up
...but if you ride a moped then there's no minimum tread requirement - go figure Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Finglonga
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:46 - 04 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The realy frightening thing is that as well as motorcycle tyres bieng 1mm minimum tread depth. HGV's also only require 1mm of tread to be legal. Shocked

White Noise
Mr Dudwee

PostPosted: 19:42 - 04 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for that guys, there is plenty of tread off the centre, i blame the previous rider! Laughing
Will keep a very close eye on it, and get it changed well in advance of 1 mm.
dam scary about HGV's will be giving them a very wide berth in the wet!
WN
Riding Tip #86: See God, then back off a bit: Problem is i haven't seen god yet, just a close up of tarmac on revett straight

Retro-Man
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:10 - 04 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://ukrm.net/faq/Bikes_and_the_Law.html

section 5.17

https://www.tyres-online.co.uk/techinfo/tread_depth.asp
https://www.superbiketyres.com/faqs.htm
https://www.etyres.co.uk/uk-tyre-law
https://driveradviser.com/tyre/faqMotor.shtml
https://www.legislation.hmso.gov.uk/si/si2003/20032695.htm

as noted in above link be aware mopeds do have tread requirements.

Last edited by Retro-Man on 20:22 - 04 Apr 2005; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 20:22 - 04 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

map wrote:
Johnny 'XX' wrote:
The actual legal requirment for motorcycle tread depth is 1mm across 2/3rds of the trye and constant visible tread across 100%...

Thumbs Up
...but if you ride a moped then there's no minimum tread requirement - go figure Rolling Eyes

Actually Jonny Wink

He is correct. On a moped (Im sure it only applys for 50cc) then aslong as the tread is visible, you are legal. There no minimum requirement.

They told me this at the MOT center...

<|Ben|>

kasandrich
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:05 - 05 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

And mopeds don't need a number plate light either Confused

CBR1000FM

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 11:10 - 05 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

And moped riders dont requre any road sence.

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 13:05 - 05 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny 'XX' wrote:
The actual legal requirment for motorcycle tread depth is 1mm across 2/3rds of the trye and constant visible tread across 100%....

Everything I've read on this says 1mm over 3/4 (75%) of the tyre width (not 2/3 - 66%) with tread visible over the whole circumference.
For mopeds and motorcycles under 50cc the original tread pattern must be visible.

Penalties are a Fixed Penalty Notice or report for prosecution, maximum £2500 and 3 penalty points. This can be per tyre.

So if stopped by 'Johhny XX' you've a 9% margin for error, unless you're on a moped when you'll be done anyhow Very Happy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 18 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1