Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Hairline crack

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

barrymc
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 09 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:48 - 13 Apr 2005    Post subject: Hairline crack Reply with quote

Hi there,

I have just put a second hand ignition casing on my NC23, unfortunately I must have over-tightened it and cracked the casing, which is now leaking oil. Embarassed
I don't want to go to the hassle and expense of getting another and I am thinking of using steel filled epoxy putty, eg Devcon.
What I'd like to know is if anyone can has actually used this in a similar type of repair and whether it's effective or not.

Cheers,
____________________
zooooooooooooooooommmmmm!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:43 - 13 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen dirty great holes (well up to 1/4") in crankcases repaired using lumiweld and JB-weld epoxy. These two brands seem to be the ones to go for.

Degrease thoroughly and open the crack out a bit into a v-shaped groove with a dremmel to give the epoxy a good surface area to key on to.

Assuming it is alloy, if your repair fails, you can always get someone to TIG weld it up for you.

If it is plastic, you could also try 'stitching' it with a soldering iron. Melt a series of 'hatchings' across the crack then smooth these along the length of the crack. Do the same on the other side. Make sure you get far enough past the 'point' of the crack to stop it spreading further.

If it doesn't work, you haven't lost anything by trying.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

barrymc
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 09 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:39 - 13 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for that Stinkwheel Thumbs Up

It'll be a couple of weeks before i get a chance to do anything with it as I'm working offshore but I appreciate the help.

I see from your profile your originally from Huntly, you might know my cousin Gordon McQueen (chef to trade). I don't know if he's still there as I haven't spoken to him since his dad's funeral a few years back.

Anyway, ta much
____________________
zooooooooooooooooommmmmm!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 05:59 - 14 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The name doesn't really ring a bell, but I haven't been back for any length of time in the last nine years.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 178 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.05 Sec - Server Load: 1.34 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 40.65 Kb