Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Learner riders I salute you.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

NickD
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:21 - 03 Oct 2004    Post subject: Learner riders I salute you. Reply with quote

Ok, it's confession time........Having had my license for 14 years, and now being well into my 30's I have for a long while considered learners to be a bit of a pain in the arse (it's easy to judge but eventually you will look at learners like this). Noisy, smelly, slow things, getting in the way all the time. Don't get me wrong, I've never been openly aggressive or nasty ('cos I'm not like that, and I remember that I was once a learner too), but I have for a long time been quietly irritated. This ends now..........

A friend of mine broke her wrist, preventing her from riding, so today I rode her RSX 100 from St Albans to Leicester, in drizzle, crap light and strong wind. I was amazed at how many 'small bike' experiences I had forgotten. The fact that other road users are completely oblivious to your presence, the mad vibration while flat out, the fact that other bikers ignore you (except the the guy on the old Bonneville, he must have psychically recognised a fellow Triumph rider). I was absolutely livid when a guy on a lowly GS 500 didn't nod back (bastard!). On top of this there is the rubbish brakes, and the lack of power, both of which require a level of 'planning ahead' that it's easy to forget on a big bike. And the experience of having to get a 'run up' for big hills, and then on coming to the top of the hill and having a gust of wind instantly take 10 mph off your speed.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that years down the line, when you don't have to struggle anymore it's easy to take power, brakes, reliability and respect for granted, I won't be doing this again. I now remember what you have to put up with, but I also remember why you put up with it. Because despite the 'culture shock' of having to ride a small bike again, and all the problems that it brings........... I still had a fucking ball. Very Happy Thumbs Up
____________________
I was only doing what it said on my licence officer....
Tear along the dotted line!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

iCraig
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:25 - 03 Oct 2004    Post subject: Re: Learner riders I salute you. Reply with quote

Nkd666 wrote:
. I was absolutely livid when a guy on a lowly GS 500 didn't nod back (bastard!).


Indefence of the GS500 rider, I gave up nodding to people when I had mine as I was like the churchill dog sometimes and never got a reply!
So in the end I hardly nodded unless I was nodded at first and then sometime I would be so supprised I'd gotten a nod that I forget to give one back Laughing.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

palmer
Fiddled Kiddy



Joined: 21 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:28 - 03 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

had fun reading that mate
Thumbs Up
palmer
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Frost
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:36 - 03 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learners do get kind of a raw deal off all other road users. but then thats really the incentive to do your test, go faster and get more respect from other road users.

Its not really an L plates issue though, as when i rode a 125 without L plates i still got treated like shit Sad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NickD
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:39 - 03 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had no L plates on either, and while I know I'm never going to live this down, I had a numberplate that said '0 to bitch in 3 seconds'. Embarassed
____________________
I was only doing what it said on my licence officer....
Tear along the dotted line!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stryker
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 30 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:39 - 03 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a shame, esp for learners. Not only do they have to ride a 125, but they have to bear the brand of a noobie, that little innocent "L" that makes the red mist descend on many a fully licensed driver Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dom_
Points Mean Prizes



Joined: 02 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:08 - 03 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone on an 'L' plate nodded to you, would you nod to them back??
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Frost
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:16 - 03 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've had this one before. general answer is yes of course provided they nod first.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NickD
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:16 - 03 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually do it first, unless they're wearing a track suit.
____________________
I was only doing what it said on my licence officer....
Tear along the dotted line!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sacarius
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:17 - 03 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went from Shoesby to Warwick on thursday and back again on Saturday, had loads of nods from all sorts of bikes, was unusual though. I have an NSR125 and my mate has a DT125R, good long ride considering it was A roads only, most of the nods came first then we nodded back also a few "friendly" overtakes.
____________________
The way your heart sounds makes all the difference. It's what decides if you'll endure the pain that we all feel. The way your heart beats makes all the difference in learning to live. Spread before you is your soul. So forever hold the dreams within our hearts. Through nature's inflexible grace I'm learning to live.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

cliff
Doctor Sicknote



Joined: 11 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:28 - 03 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

That brought a tear to my eye. Thumbs UpCrying or Very sad
____________________
Sweet reggae music.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage



Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:24 - 03 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pah, you would get used to it. Being a learner sucks.
____________________
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mr jamez
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Aug 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:27 - 03 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to go back to being a learner soon, didn't like it the first time round. Oh well at least I wont be as much of a newbie for the second L plate experiance Thinking
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mr.z
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:28 - 03 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still remember takeing my cg to be sold ( Crying or Very sad poor old thing ) after rideing the big DAS bikes, thinking, how in the holy **** did i not get killed on this thing?

L plates are a rubbish idea imo(allthough i realise they need to be there Sad ), in a perfect world people would give them more space, be more patient and generally be prepared for any silly mistakes weve all made at some point...

The fact is (and this is true of cars as well) people act like complete twats, overtake when its completely not needed (like your doing the limit, theres a big cue in front and no gap for them to go into, but they will barge past and cut you up so they dont have to be behind a learner) tailgateing all the time, assumeing they have priority when you have it... the list goes on...

I make special effort to nod to learners (not scooters or chavs though, i used to nod for scooters but not one back) because i remeber being a learner and rideing every day for a year on that scarey little bike, and every nod i got reminded me how bloody good it is to be a biker Cool
____________________
>RidingSkills<->Tech Tips<->MyBikes<
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mrchips
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:30 - 03 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that I have a bit more respect on the road now with having a two stroke 125 I have a bit of power to get moving. On the 50 it was like everyone was on a mission to kill you, especially when I had the slowest 50 around.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

roozor
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 04 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:41 - 04 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hated being a learner, i hugged my instructor when i passed, seriously! and shook his hand.

im not gay... but i do love stan stevens
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:48 - 04 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe something you pick-up with a bit of experience. I am sure others will agree is that you eventually learn to MAKE other road users treat you with respect, no matter what you ride. I used to ride a pedal and go moped round the centre of Edinburgh and people were not given the oppertunity to cut me up...a few tried and quickly learned the error of their ways or lost their wing-mirrors.

It is maybe something subliminal to do with the way you ride, I don't know, but many of my mates from the university bike club (who have been riding longer than I have) keep small bikes for playing about on. We don't have nearly such a problem with arseholes on the road. Maybe it is just because I am a six-footer, a fact which is emphasised by the tiny wee bike I am riding or maybe you start to show a certain air of confidence after you have been riding bikes for a few years. I have happily used the fast lane to overtake HGVs on the M6 in heavy traffic on both a C90 and an H100.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pipnet11
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 17 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:11 - 04 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most satisfaction i got as a learner was if someone overtook me i would make every effort to ride almost up there exhaust, even if it did nearly kill my bike and me!

I always nod at learners aslong as they dont look like chavs, I remember i was one of the L-plate people only a few month ago.

Phill
____________________
I love the girls that do, I hate the girls that dont, I hate the girls who say they will and then they say they wont, but the girl I like most of all and I think youll say Im right, is the girl who says she never has but looks as though she might. - Max Bygraves
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
zaknafien This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Flame). Unhide this post / all posts.

mr.z
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:18 - 04 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkywheely wrote:

It is maybe something subliminal to do with the way you ride...


Very good point there... allot of it is positioning, but being on 1/4 of a tons worth of bike helps...

If your comeing to a situation and you make space (i.e. ride in the gutter), they WILL take it, ride in the middle of the road and look like you dont intend to stop, only a total *** will try to assume priority when it is yours... same on country lanes, your paying road tax just like everyone else on the road, so use any bit you want (on your side obviously)

But again the L plate of doom make allot of difference, i rode my cg for a couple of weeks without after passing and the difference was phenominal/disturbing.
____________________
>RidingSkills<->Tech Tips<->MyBikes<


Last edited by mr.z on 01:20 - 04 Oct 2004; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

pipnet11
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 17 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:19 - 04 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yer i was, Im not denying that. Iv got a rather large scar on my arm to remind me of that everytime i go out now. I learnt the hard way and make no effort to hide that.

Phill
____________________
I love the girls that do, I hate the girls that dont, I hate the girls who say they will and then they say they wont, but the girl I like most of all and I think youll say Im right, is the girl who says she never has but looks as though she might. - Max Bygraves
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dodsi
Dirty Carny



Joined: 06 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:24 - 04 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that riding a motorcycle instead of a scooter helps. As people just think that your some chav on a scooter with no sence

but most people not at me on bikes even though i have my L plates clearly on show (i really cant be bothered getting pulled by the police for something daft like L plates)!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

scott_hood_88
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 09 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:31 - 04 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find you see people doing the most stupid and pathetic things on L plates,

I've been over taken just before a speed camera then had him slam the brakes on and drive at 30 for the whole lenth of the road.

I've been overtaken and had to do an emergency stop when a beemer decided he was gonna get infront of me before a roundabout about a foot from the curb and a foot from me.

Whilst on a single carrigeway a car ahead was in the center waiting to turn right, and some greatbig people carrier came flying past slammed on the anchors and made a tight swerve to avoid the car.

I get people overtaking me without giving me any space, sometimes even staying in the same lane, driving me into the gutter.

No one ever give way when I want to get into the right lane.

I personally think it would be safer if we were alloud a big bike to start of with, as people perception of L plated riders are 'slow inexperianced annoyances', not 'novices learning give them space'

Well at least at the end of it I'll still be expecting people to do the stupidest things

Scott
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:45 - 04 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would happily drive the buggers off the road if they tried that sort of shit with me, only time I will give ground when someone is trying to squeeze past is if they are presenting a hazard to someone else. Thing is, they have seen you and will be watching you, whilst most of them are prepared to drive like a plonker, they are not so prepared to actually run into you.

I once forced a double decker bus back into his own lane when he tried to muscle his way into the position I was occupying in a right hand filter lane on my moped (he looked me square in the eye in his mirror then started to pull accross on top of me). Took a bit of kicking the shit out of the side of the bus with my steelies on that occasion though Twisted Evil
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Sadie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:10 - 04 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record regarding Nick's ride:

Arrow The RXS is mine, being lent to a mutual friend.
Arrow Nick apparently arrived in Rugby (journey's end) grinning like a cheshire cat.
Arrow He looked hilarious!

Tee hee! Laughing
____________________
With experience comes age.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 22 years, 1 day ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 1.22 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 132.51 Kb