Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Which NSR for me?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

John C
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:34 - 06 May 2005    Post subject: Which NSR for me? Reply with quote

Hi all,

This is my fisrt post so go easy... I'm now in the position of being able to (just about) afford a road bike, but I'm only 20 so it's a 125 for now...I would really appreciate some advice, although I might be pushing my luck with all these questions!

I'm going to buy a NSR because I've read good things about the handling being learner freindly and holding there value and still reasonably quick for a 125, but what are the F/R/RR, does it just relate to the colour? which is best, and how much should I be looking to pay?

I've seen a v/g/c 2003 (black) for £1900 with next to no miles. Is this good? Or are they ten a penny at this price (I don't want to rush in an regret it later)

What should I look for when viewing bikes? and could someone define "high millage" for a 2 stroke?

Oh, and stupid question time...are all nsr125's 2 stroke right?


Thanks in advance everyone Thumbs Up Very Happy


Last edited by John C on 01:39 - 23 Jun 2006; edited 5 times in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ProXimaCore
Dougal



Joined: 01 May 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:48 - 06 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the F is the unfaired version and also an older version. Not sure what year they stopped making them though.

The R is the normal faired NSR and I think the RR is usually an import. The imports may be CDI restricted so that could be a right pain in the arse if you want full power.

The one at £1900 sounds like a really good deal to me. As long as everything else is in good condition then I'd say go for it. My '97 NSR sold for £1300 with 17,000 miles on it and about 5 different owners.

High mileage I'd say would be 20,000 onwards for a 2-stroke 125. Around the 15,000 mile mark, you'll probably be looking at having an engine rebuild. Probably around £400 for a mechanic to do.

All NSRs are 2-strokes. The 2003 model was the very last year of them. Then the CBR125 4-stroke replaced it.
____________________
Honda NSR125R -> Suzuki GSXR400R GK76a -> Kawasaki ZX636 B1H -> Honda CBR400RR NC29 -> Nothing Sad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

John C
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:55 - 06 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProXimaCore wrote:
I think the F is the unfaired version and also an older version. Not sure what year they stopped making them though.

The R is the normal faired NSR and I think the RR is usually an import.
.

Thanks alot for the advice I really apprieciat it, but just one question when you say the f is the unfaired version, how exaclty do you mean? no fairings?

This ones black uk registed so it must be an R, right?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

New York Doll
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 14 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:57 - 06 May 2005    Post subject: Re: Which NSR for me? Reply with quote

NSRSparkie wrote:
I would really appreciate some advice, although I might be pushing my luck with all these questions!


Before you rush into anything have a look at these link I have dug up:

https://www.nsr125.com
https://www.125ccsportsbikes.com/forums/index.php?showforum=10
https://www.bikechatforums.com/links.php?c=2
https://www.geocities.com/twoteer/
https://www.geocities.com/alexlaan/NSR.HTM

Quote:

I've seen a v/g/c 2003 (black) for £1900 with next to no miles. Is this good? Or are they ten a penny at this price (I don't want to rush in an regret it later)


I would consider doing some research before buying this one. I have looked at a few NSR's in the past, a lot older and a lot cheaper, so I couldn't advise you on that I'm afraid. Although, on the surface it seems about the money for the modern style NSR's (post '94).

Quote:

What should I look for when viewing bikes? how much does derestriction cost? and could someone define "high millage" for a 2 stroke?


What to look for when viewing a bike.

De-Restriction is achieved by replacing the exhaust I believe (read it somewhere). It is also notoriously expensive to mod or derestrict the NSR.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

John C
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:10 - 06 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks although thats why I'm here, I've looked most of that already,

I thought that they where easy to derestrict, just knock the restrictor out of the exhaust and remove the one in the intake, as per www.nsr125.com.

Is it not just the imports that are costly to restrict because of the CDI restriction???


I'm also confused now, are they liquid cooled or air cooled?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Josh|RD125LC
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:31 - 06 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the pre-NSR ones the NS125's. They seem pretty nimble, and being Honda, can be quite reliable for a 2t. You can pick these up quite cheap actually. Personally, I wouldn't spend too much on a 125. And before you mention the RG125 that I own, I got that for a very small amount ok Wink

The NS125F is also quite a nice bike, unfaired and pure streetfighter look!

Heres a NS125F and below it is the faired version, NS125R
____________________
Honda MBX50 | Yamaha RD125LC | Suzuki RG125F Lucky Strike | Suzuki GSF600S
RD125LC Pictures
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

John C
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:26 - 08 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, thanks, but I've got my heart set on an nsr now!!

I just want to know which is best of F/R/RR...So thats R.

Also I want to know if there are any differences between <01 and >01 nsr's, with regards to power, derestriction, running costs, economy, all that kind of stuff. Oh, and how much I should be paying!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:11 - 08 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the only thing to have changed since 1994 is the cosmetics. Same bike underneath the paint.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:08 - 08 May 2005    Post subject: Re: Which NSR for me? Reply with quote

Have a read of this about what to check when buying a secondhand bike. https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=28776
New York Doll wrote:
De-Restriction is achieved by replacing the exhaust I believe (read it somewhere). It is also notoriously expensive to mod or derestrict the NSR.

To de-restrict it you remove a plate from the air intake which is just removing the tank and some other parts and you remove the restrictor in the exhaust can be removed by drilling the welds on it, can be done fairly easily at home. https://nsr125.com/derestrict.htm Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

John C
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:20 - 08 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought they where easy to deristrict.

The NSR had sold. Crying or Very sad

But now Some ones offered me a TZR with 1 nackered fairing for 500squid.

Whats the general consenus on TZR v's NSR's.

SOD it, Ill make a new post so that more people see it ... could any answers be put in there please Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 156 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 1.98 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 68.76 Kb