Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Bandit driopping revs and dying

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

LustyLew
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:36 - 30 May 2005    Post subject: Bandit driopping revs and dying Reply with quote

Hi,

I was riding on the M25 yesterday, everything was going fin until the bike dropped about 500rpm. Then a few hundred yards up the road the power began dropping further. No matter how much I opened the throttle it didn't stabilise. The only thing I noticed was that the sound from the exhaust got louder as the revs dropped.

The bike is a Suzuki Bandit (600cc) on a P plate. The can is not the original, it is a Viper exhaust, I cannot test how it behaves with a normal can, as I don't have one.

anyone have any rough ideas?

I'm thinking either fuel starvation, or flooding of the engine.

Cheers in advance!

Lewis
____________________
Like a Yorkie - I'm not for the girls Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:11 - 30 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

A carb model? If so, make sure that the mixture is set right and that the carb does not need rejetting (this probably should have been done when the pipe was changed).
____________________
Bikes: too many, too much for one man to maintain anyway.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

LustyLew
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:59 - 31 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would fitting a dyno jet kit help at all, or just make matters worse?
____________________
Like a Yorkie - I'm not for the girls Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Guest
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 22 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:32 - 31 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long since the can was changed? Was it jetted/adjusted to make up for it?

Any loose connections in the exhaust system - downpipes, collector box etc.?


If it's been on a while and running ok, then the bike suddenly glitched, it's got to be something basic - blocked fuel filter? petrol pipe trapped?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bish777
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:06 - 01 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

odd sounds like something is blocked? get the carbs out and give it a good clean.

Is the pipe legal? perhaps its running a bit lean and youve fried something? If its a legal pipe the jetting shouldnt be too far off, but probably could do with being a little richer-raising the needles one notch ought to do.

but it does sound like youve got crap somewheres-get the carbs off to clean and check all the lines. put it on normal and suck on the vacuum hose and make sure that the tap works fine on normal and reserve as well as prime.
____________________
GSXR1100J
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bish777
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:08 - 01 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Change the plugs too whilst your at it.

As for the dynojet kit, id get it running first before spending that kind of money. It will run better but it ought to run fine on stock jets with a legal pipe after a little adjustment.
____________________
GSXR1100J
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

instigator
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:48 - 01 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doubt it's the exhaust very much. I mean, I wouldn't think it would affect the bike JUST like that i.e it would probably have affected the bike on your first ride.

As said, try clean out the carbs and check the condition of your clutch cable.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

LustyLew
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:55 - 13 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, well I think I've solved it, if I have it set to 'on', it dies. If I have it set to 'res' it's fine.

So that makes it one of two things, error on my part ( Laughing ), or the fuel tap is dodgy. Next time I fill up I'll give it a try.
____________________
Like a Yorkie - I'm not for the girls Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ZaphodBeeble
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 04:25 - 14 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check/change the air filter. Check/change the plugs. The way it was dying sounds like a fuel issue. Was it cleanly missing on 1 or more cylinders or was it sort of burbling and missing irregularly?
____________________
Current bike: VTR1000F Firestorm. Previous: Firestorm (written off) - XJ600 Divvy - NSR125 - DT125 and a load of offroaders.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:22 - 14 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Pipe is unlikely to cause the problem, unless it has caused it to run so lean it has suffered engine damage.

It does sound like fuel starvation. Not sure on your Bandit, but I presume it is a vacuum fuel tap. Does it have an "On", "Prime" and "Res" positions, or "On", "Off" and "Res". If it is the 2nd then I would guess that the reserve position is not a vacuum controlled position (prime is normally not vacuum operated, to allow fuel from the carbs to the tank without having the engine running). In which case check the vacuum pipe is in position and not holed, but after that you are probably looking at a failed diaphragm in the fuel tap.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

LustyLew
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:43 - 15 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

thanks for all the replies. Much appreciated.

It looks like I've been a complete tit and just underestimated the fuel level in the tank so I was simply running out. Embarassed

Still better that, than something nasty!
____________________
Like a Yorkie - I'm not for the girls Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 117 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.06 Sec - Server Load: 4.28 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 68.56 Kb