|
|
| Author |
Message |
| MarsBar |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MarsBar World Chat Champion

Joined: 21 Aug 2002 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 19:25 - 03 Jul 2005 Post subject: Seen a CBR900RR Fireblade in a deelers today |
 |
|
Priced at £2399. It's a 1992 model. It's at the right price for what I wanted to pay for a sports 600 but I think it might be a little more than what I'm looking for.
What do you think the insurance would be... 25 year old, 2 years NCB, 3 points.
P.S. Good to be back!
Cheers,
Mark. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Gazdaman |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Gazdaman I did a trackday!!!

Joined: 12 Aug 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Josh|RD125LC |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Josh|RD125LC World Chat Champion

Joined: 08 Sep 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 21:44 - 03 Jul 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Mark, where you been all this time?!? ____________________ Honda MBX50 | Yamaha RD125LC | Suzuki RG125F Lucky Strike | Suzuki GSF600S
RD125LC Pictures |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MarsBar |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MarsBar World Chat Champion

Joined: 21 Aug 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 22:09 - 03 Jul 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
I got a quote of £316 or so for my ZX9 - one years NCB, 3 points and 2 claims (one big) from MCE https://www.insuremce.com/ - I'm 25. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| hugo-a-gogo |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 hugo-a-gogo Trackday Trickster

Joined: 13 Feb 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 22:19 - 03 Jul 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
2400 is a bit much for a 92 blade, it'd have to be a mint all-original low-mileage one to keep as a classic first of the line, even then, bit pricy. 2000 is par for the course for a pre 96 ____________________ "There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous."
Hunter S Thompson
clicky 4 bikey |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MarsBar |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MarsBar World Chat Champion

Joined: 21 Aug 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Phoenix |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Phoenix Twisted Firestarter

Joined: 01 Aug 2002 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Chriss |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Chriss World Chat Champion

Joined: 07 May 2005 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 00:12 - 04 Jul 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
For what it's worth, I'll be paying £900 for an R1 at 19, 2 years NCB.
Hope that helps in comparison. Insurance quote through motorcycle direct.  ____________________ TheShaggyDA: I've got 3 or 4 pairs that predate my wife, so at least 11.5 years old. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| J20a |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 J20a Borekit Bruiser

Joined: 28 Jun 2005 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| the grim reaper |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 the grim reaper World Chat Champion

Joined: 29 Jun 2005 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| the grim reaper |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 the grim reaper World Chat Champion

Joined: 29 Jun 2005 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| hugo-a-gogo |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 hugo-a-gogo Trackday Trickster

Joined: 13 Feb 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 14:44 - 04 Jul 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
i've not ridden the latest and greatest 600s but i'd be very surprised if they had similar power through the rev range, despite making about the same top end, and most of us don't live right near the red-line all day long (or at least we don't live very long, if we do) ____________________ "There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous."
Hunter S Thompson
clicky 4 bikey |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| hugo-a-gogo |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 hugo-a-gogo Trackday Trickster

Joined: 13 Feb 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 14:49 - 04 Jul 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
hmm, the impression of a better feel of power you say?
didn't i read in PB or bike or summat about the old thundercat making more power through most of the range than the new r6?
they are lighter i suppose, that would make a lot of difference to perceived power shirley ____________________ "There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous."
Hunter S Thompson
clicky 4 bikey |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Phoenix |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Phoenix Twisted Firestarter

Joined: 01 Aug 2002 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 23:03 - 05 Jul 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
| the grim reaper wrote: | AI reckon you'd be better off buying a newer 600 than an older Blade. Consumables wear out faster too, Blades eat head bearings, wheel bearings, tyres and chain and sprockets. Not as bad as a Busa but still worse than a 600.
|
Don't agree with any of that. I've never heard of Blades eating head bearings, bikes that get wheelied eat head bearings... same for wheel bearings, only replaced the rears once in my blade in 19,000miles. Tyres and C&S are again of average wear, about 12000miles to C&S if you keep it lubed, probably more, and I was getting roughly 8000miles to a set of 010s with commuting and reasonably fast riding.
And as for the 893 not being a superbike so not insured as one, well that sounds like the rule of some yokel insurance company. The word fireblade makes it a superbike. And the 'Blade was 893 from 92-95, and insurance was £15 cheaper on my '96 918cc than it was on my 95 893. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MarsBar |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MarsBar World Chat Champion

Joined: 21 Aug 2002 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 01:02 - 06 Jul 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Thanks for all the usefull info guys!
Still looking though.
Mark. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| the grim reaper |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 the grim reaper World Chat Champion

Joined: 29 Jun 2005 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 13:10 - 06 Jul 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Phoenix:
| Quote: |
Don't agree with any of that. I've never heard of Blades eating head bearings, bikes that get wheelied eat head bearings... same for wheel bearings, only replaced the rears once in my blade in 19,000miles. Tyres and C&S are again of average wear, about 12000miles to C&S if you keep it lubed, probably more, and I was getting roughly 8000miles to a set of 010s with commuting and reasonably fast riding.
And as for the 893 not being a superbike so not insured as one, well that sounds like the rule of some yokel insurance company. The word fireblade makes it a superbike. And the 'Blade was 893 from 92-95, and insurance was £15 cheaper on my '96 918cc than it was on my 95 893 |
OK, so which is more likely to get wheelied, badly? A Blade or a 600? One of the jobs I've had to do fairly often on Blades is head bearings, they notch quite easily, normally from people opening them up, feeling the front lift and then slamming the throttle shut. They are also renowned for doing wheel bearings, especially the rears. A mate of mine was running a Blade track bike (admittedly heavier than normal wear but not by that much) and was replacing about two sets of rear wheel bearings each season. C&S are about 12k miles but you compare that to a GSXR600, my neighbour has a chain that is at 15k and about halfway through it's lifetime.
8000 miles to a set of 010s is fairly impressive, the best I've ever managed was about 6500 to a set.
I don't think Bennetts are likely to be happy with you calling them a yokel company either. When I spoke to them, they said that the 900cc threshold was where they put up their insurance prices. This is why the 750 class became so popular. It might have changed by now as this was about 6 years ago, when I got my first Blade.
Cheers
Grim ____________________ Adverts don't always work: Remember that advert, where the army are running across the desert and they have a wounded man on a stretcher. They get to a ravine, the bridge is down and a caption pops up that says, 'What are you thinking?'. I don't know about you but I was thinking, 'Christ, I'm glad I'm not in the f***ing army'. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| the grim reaper |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 the grim reaper World Chat Champion

Joined: 29 Jun 2005 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 15:10 - 06 Jul 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Head bearings aren't too bad, except the lower race that sits in the steering stem. I have a set of modified pullers that do the job nicely but, without them, it is a pain. I've heard of people using a dremel to cut a slot, most of the way through the lower race, then inserting a screwdriver and t***ing it with a hammer. This sounds good in principal but be careful not to mark the stem.
Once you've done the job, don't forget to check the bearings quite often until they bed in, the lower race will 'settle' unless you've used the proper (expensive) Honda tool to seat it.
Cheers
Grim ____________________ Adverts don't always work: Remember that advert, where the army are running across the desert and they have a wounded man on a stretcher. They get to a ravine, the bridge is down and a caption pops up that says, 'What are you thinking?'. I don't know about you but I was thinking, 'Christ, I'm glad I'm not in the f***ing army'. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kickstart |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kickstart The Oracle

Joined: 04 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| the grim reaper |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 the grim reaper World Chat Champion

Joined: 29 Jun 2005 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| bish777 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 bish777 World Chat Champion

Joined: 11 Nov 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 13:42 - 07 Jul 2005 Post subject: Re: Seen a CBR900RR Fireblade in a deelers today |
 |
|
| MarsBar wrote: | Priced at £2399. It's a 1992 model. It's at the right price for what I wanted to pay for a sports 600 but I think it might be a little more than what I'm looking for.
What do you think the insurance would be... 25 year old, 2 years NCB, 3 points.
P.S. Good to be back!
Cheers,
Mark. |
If its a low mileage minter go for it! great bikes!
Insurace wont be steep tpf+t. I pay £205 a year for my GSXR 1100, im 25 and have 2 year ncb. ____________________ GSXR1100J |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 21 years, 94 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|