Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Clarkson and Biker Comments (again)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

gavking
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 16:14 - 10 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

When bikers slag off cars, its usally about how you can't park them as easily, how they're slower and you can't filter, and about how the drivers are less alert and therefore a danger to bikers. These are facts.

No, they are generalisations based on a minority.

mattfuzzy
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:24 - 10 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

gavking wrote:
When bikers slag off cars, its usally about how you can't park them as easily, how they're slower and you can't filter, and about how the drivers are less alert and therefore a danger to bikers. These are facts.

No, they are generalisations based on a minority.

still thats 1 thing, saying your going to kill someone is another, saying your going to cut peoples heads off (where the people are all 1 type who all just happen to ride bikes) is another, hey i think i saw that ep where he said about the cheesewire mabe it was about a year ago? i dont "hate cars" i like them a little but i choose not to drive them because i cant afford to, because im not as interested in them as i am bikes, because bikes just happen to be cheaper to run than cars, and i dont wish for someone to be going around tying cheese wire to trees and lamp posts trying to act on what this cheese dick has been spamming on tv, by the way, if ANYONE else said what he has said then they would probably be up for terrorism, atempted murder or some other charges, but because its him he gets away with it, to be honest i dont care if he "didnt mean it" he still said it and if you change words around say put "asians" where "bikers" is then the BBC would have the whole ******* st pauls part of bristol on their doorstep.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:54 - 10 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell-lo.

ITV did a 'real story' programme about a year ago about bikers who speed 'in excess of 200mph' through north yorkshire.

I complained.

I got a letter back saying "Some bikes are capable of 200mph, the Kawasaki ZX12R for example..."

They aren't worth the effort.

Plus, clarkson does some good in that he is still a petrolhead, hates speed cameras and hates safety nazis.

Maybe what he meant by 'shooting a biker in the head' was

'Drill a hole in the side of his lid' Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 17:06 - 10 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely our argument against Clarkson's comments would be that we are (mostly) law-abiding people taking part in an activity we love for our own amusement, not to detract from other people's quality of life. While the anti-social impact of loud exhausts is debatable, I don't think that pulling burnouts on his lawn is really the kind of behaviour that is going to make him admit he was wrong all along.

Clarkson is having a joke at our expense, so what? He makes similar comments about killing/maiming/torturing all sorts of people who have the temerity to annoy him with loud noises or crap cars - so what? I've laughed at just about all of them, I laughed at his biker comment too, mostly because I imagined him stand at the end of his drive shaking an impotent fist at a gang of PowerRangers screaming away into the distance.

There are films and TV shows with far worse examples of role models and violence, many of which are probably enjoyed by people on this board. It's noticable that some of the responses here are along the lines of "lets wreck his garden", "lets go and piss him off some more", "I'm gonna smack him in the mouth" etc.

It seems to be acceptable for us to make remarks about violent and unpleasant behaviour when we feel we are slighted, so why not him?

The whole complaint thing is rendered especially feeble by the fact that it was obviously mostly aimed at his co-hosts, who give as good as they get and obviously took no great offence.

If we're going to look at direct action, I suspect we will have to join the long queue behind the Volvo/Honda/Rover drivers, and all of the other people he's hurled abuse at over the years.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 17:27 - 10 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister James wrote:
It's noticable that some of the responses here are along the lines of "lets wreck his garden", "lets go and piss him off some more"

I said that, jokingly, because I found the idea of bikers submitting an online petition so absurd.

RobB
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:34 - 10 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clarkson (the pantomime character) is obviously good for the BBC, or they wouldn't have kept him so long. IMO, he's getting older, and grumpier. The new Top gear seems to have made him lose the plot a little, and he clearly can't stand Hammond or May taking any of his precious me-me-me time. Sack him for this? No. Maybe replace him in a few years..... Unless of course he manages to constantly stay in the media by making "outrageous" comments.... Cynical, moi?

The thing that got me with this weeks Top Gear was that a few minutes before Clarkson complained about bikes being too noisy, he'd praised some new car with a valve in the exhaust that could be heard from 2 miles away. He seemed so unbelieveably pleased with that idea, yet he then proceded with his rant against bikes. Maybe's it just that he wants to hear his car better.....

kb-zxr
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 18:51 - 10 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattfuzzy wrote:
lighten up? mabe you would like a gun up your ass to change your mind?

car drivers would, most are a bunch of ******* that hate bikers with a passion, iv only been on 2 wheels for less than 7 months and iv already noticed that.

yeah hes paid to make people laugh... it works... but saying your going to shoot someone who rides a bike in the face is like me saying IM GOING TO KILL ALL BLACK PEOPLE.

me may not do it but there are plenty of people in this screwed up world that would gladly do what he says on tv, and whats that about him saying people should tie wire across roads to decapitate bikers?

mabe i should go on tv and say im going to plant c4 on random cars around the uk "because i feel like it" somehow i think it will have a different reaction and probably result in terrorism charges

BBC should sack his ass or atleast make him apologise on national tv Twisted Evil

END OF

I drive a car too. I don't shoot other bikers when im driving, or intentionally ram them off the road. Other car drivers can piss me off too. Although I drive cars I much prefer bikes and spend 90% of my time on the road riding, as opposed to driving. Drivers are cunts generally to people who do something they can't do, just happens bikers can do this a lot (e.g trying to stop people filtering Rolling Eyes, despite the fact i have a whole empty lane on the right ). Cars sometimes don't "flash" me out of busy junctions either.

I don't fear people trying to take my face off with cheese wire everytime I ride either. In fact vandals probably go for cars more than bikes anyway.

Clarkson makes me laugh, I've watched the program for years and understand how he "presents" himeslf.

I agree with the "clilllout" clan Thumbs Up

Mattfuzy, I used to agree with your comment, but realise everyone else on the road are cocks, regardless of who you are or what you are in / on (except me of course Wink )

Kurt

Trixie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:55 - 10 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bloke's a tosser in my opinion, but a petition is going a bit far, I reckon.

I don't agree with some of his comments about bikes/bikers, but I just switch over when he's on TV...nuff said!! Wink

beefy
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:02 - 10 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

i do watch it and im not a car fan, it is a good programme compared to the crap on telly.this hate for bikers gets drummed up 1st possible way he can and shadows yet more shit over us bikers, as bikers we should stick together.
i wrote
no need of the bad comments his words are meant to harm the biker community ,we like him have a passion for a motors ours just have 2 wheels and more reliable than his Ford GT

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:23 - 10 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trixie wrote:
The bloke's a tosser in my opinion, but a petition is going a bit far, I reckon.

It's not like it's a real petition that anyone will pay any attention to...

gavking
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:07 - 10 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
People don't choose to be black, asian or gay.

True but people do choose their religion. If Clarkson had said the same about Muslims, Christians, Jews etc..

I actually agree with Bendy and the others in that it was just a joke and people should get over it, but in the interest of equal rights i thought it was worth mentioning Laughing

m99dws
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:13 - 10 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a TV show and you are all well aware of its content. If you don't like it or its presenters, turn it off.

yorkshirelad3
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:21 - 10 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

gavking wrote:
Quote:
People don't choose to be black, asian or gay.

True but people do choose their religion. If Clarkson had said the same about Muslims, Christians, Jews etc..

I actually agree with Bendy and the others in that it was just a joke and people should get over it, but in the interest of equal rights i thought it was worth mentioning Laughing

actually you need to be born a jew, just thought id add that pointless piece of knowledge from my school days!!!

Laughing

TOM M
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:53 - 10 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

flip wrote:
Bomberman wrote:
Clarkson will pout and in a whiney voice explain about the petition. Such is his level of "humour".

I hope he does. This petition deserves to be mocked.

Lighten up people. Karma

100% agree Thumbs Up

Flip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:04 - 11 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's going to make us bikers look so sad when this "you've hurt our feelings" petition email reaches the BBC. Rolling Eyes

The Outlaws will give it all up and buy Novas. Laughing

I might email the BBC saying I found it bloody funny as a biker.

Just a thought.

Nath
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:05 - 11 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

hugo-a-gogo wrote:
top gear is turning to shit

In heindsight the turning point was when they changed the format of the show. Was good for the first series, but this format is far more repetitive than even the old Top Gear, and now just boring. They also did bikes on the old Top Gear.

The reality is that Top Gear now is mostly about the banter between the presenters, doing "whacky" things, and the z-list celebrities. Hence why Clarkson now rants about anything and everything, and why it is no longer funny.

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 11:07 - 11 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like 'new' Top Gear better than 'old' Top Gear.

m99dws
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:33 - 11 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

ashley_46 wrote:
Fair point but why should we have to put up with it. Just because we choose to ride bikes does that mean we are fair game to insults and abuse. Maybe some of you see it as a joke but what about the small percentage of people who listen to him. A large proportion of people think Clarkson had a part to play in Rover folding. He has a hell of a lot of influence and if only 1 person acts upon the cheeswire idea then surely thats 1 person too many.

What would you say if he decides all car drivers should sit right up against the middle of the lane in traffic so bikers cant filter. Or if he says they should open their doors when the see a bike filtering. Would it still be a joke just to wind up his co presenters. As i origianlly said, personally i didnt take offence but i can see why a lot of people did. Can you imagine his reaction if the government tried to ban fast sports cars or put a decible limit on Ferraris and Aston Martins. He'd be ranting and raving about how unfair it is and how the guardianistas are trying to take over.

Some people like to make a https://www.feedthehabit.com/photos/album04/mountain.jpg out of a https://www.leafscape.net/images/Mole-in-Hill.jpg

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 15:08 - 11 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

at the end of the, we're all talking about Top Gear, and as a result some people who may not have watched it before will watch it now.

Clarkson's dodgy comments have worked, served their purpose.. it's got people talking about, and intersted in the program.

For all of you who are up in arms about him,calling for him to be sacked, you've swallowed the media marketing hook line and sinker.

if noone had said a thing, and not laughed, nor complained about the comment, that woud be more damaging than Any petiion, online or not.

a

fuzz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:54 - 11 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

yorkshirelad3 wrote:
actually you need to be born a jew, just thought id add that pointless piece of knowledge from my school days!!!

Laughing

Do you mean to be Jewish you have to be born into it? Did they never teach you about tevillah at school then?

minesweeper
Whoah there!

PostPosted: 19:58 - 11 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could always use the anti terrorism laws against him, do him for "incitement to murder while wearing bad hair" Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

tsmith
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:24 - 11 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clarkson is the epitome of a car driver: hugely competitive, incredibly fragile ego and suffers from acute penile dysfunction.

Never mind mate, go drive another Ferrari. On an enclosed track. With nobody else around. Yawn.

Andy C
Tree Seeking Missile

PostPosted: 22:07 - 11 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont dislike him i just find some of the things he says a bit ott, also when they have a race we will sin.

then again if i was watching the bike show like top gear i would hope for as many harsh jokes about car drivers that i could use against the next one of my friends to argue cars are better,

i think it just the war between car and bikes, and since clarkson is a 'car man' its no surprise he takes the piss out of bikers

Flip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:04 - 11 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomsmith wrote:
Never mind mate, go drive another Ferrari. On an enclosed track. With nobody else around. Yawn.

Sounds like a hoot to me. /Shrugs.

I think a lot of people here are jealous of him. He drives his fav genre of vehicle with a track to himself, makes a few wise cracks, slags things off and gets paid a f*cking fortune.

I'd love that job!!

m99dws
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:19 - 11 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomsmith wrote:

I'd love to. And to get paid to do it? Even better.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 262 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5