Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


More varadero probs - now its not starting all the time

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

asphaltic99
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 22 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:47 - 21 Aug 2005    Post subject: More varadero probs - now its not starting all the time Reply with quote

Twisted Evil

Since my Vara went in to the garage it won't start properly and I have to keep bumping it. All I hear is a click from under the L/H panel under the seat. Starter motor doesn't seem to be turning. When I try to start the bike with the lights on they nearly go out.

Have checked the battery and its OK (well seems to be, I connected it to a charger and the indicators showed FULL).

But if I go on a longish run, I can turn the ignition off and 5 times out of 10 it will start OK though Question

Could it be something to do with the fact that the forks were taken off the bike recently and the garage have done something wrong when putting it back together Question Someone mentioned it might be a relay of some sorts thats causing the problem Question Or could it be more serious Question
____________________
i am a dirty sod who bothers women.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mr.z
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:47 - 21 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right...

When you say it just clicks thats the classic "flat battery" sign, starters do use a hell of allot of power... yours could be on its way out (the battery)...

Try chargeing it for a couple of hours anyway and see if it helps..

Depending on how its wired the kill switch could be playing up, or the ignition switch maybe?

Could be various loose wires...

To be honest your best takeing it to the garrage, tell them its only been doing it since its last visit and you want it sorting.
____________________
>RidingSkills<->Tech Tips<->MyBikes<
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Mark_petty
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 01 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:54 - 21 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bike had a faulty starter motor. It made a clicking noise, if you are brave enough hit it hard with a hammer and it will start (if its the starter motor)
____________________
[Rides: Suzuki GSF600sx]
[CBT: Passed] [Theory: Passed] [DAS: Passed]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

asphaltic99
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 22 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:22 - 21 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark_petty wrote:
My bike had a faulty starter motor. It made a clicking noise, if you are brave enough hit it hard with a hammer and it will start (if its the starter motor)


I felt like using a sledgehammer on it earlier.......the whole bike that is.

I don't even know where the starter motor is on the bike. There's some wires that disappear into the LH crankcase above the front sprocket - maybe its in there? Think I will give it a kick in the morning - where's my steel toecaps?

Mr Z - I had the battery on charge for a while a bit earlier (low charge, about 4 hours), fitted it back onto the bike, but still nothing. The charger indicator showed the battery as being fully charged. I did tell the garage when it first started doing it, got the normal reply "well it was OK when we had it, but if it still plays up then bring it in and we'll check it out." Which to me translates as "Bring it in and we'll get more £££ out of you".
____________________
i am a dirty sod who bothers women.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

the grim reaper
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:02 - 21 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't believe the indicator on battery chargers, they often sauy that a knackered battery is full. The voltage might be high enough but it's the ability of the battery to supply current that starts the bike.

If I were you, I'd jump start it off a car WITHOUT THE ENGINE RUNNING, if it starts, there's nothing wrong with the starter system.

Cheers

Grim
____________________
Adverts don't always work: Remember that advert, where the army are running across the desert and they have a wounded man on a stretcher. They get to a ravine, the bridge is down and a caption pops up that says, 'What are you thinking?'. I don't know about you but I was thinking, 'Christ, I'm glad I'm not in the f***ing army'.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 46 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 0.61 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 46.62 Kb