Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Eastern European Style - Another continental yorn...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Topic moved: from General Bike Chat to Touring & Exploration by Korn (9 Nov 2005 - 19:00)
View previous topic : View next topic  

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 15:14 - 10 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bike with the mountains in the background is a great photo! Smile

Excellent reading. I can't help wondering though if it'd be worth you picking up a phrase book or two to help you get along. Lonely Planet do some good ones, at least the locals seemed to find them amusing!

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 18:10 - 10 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent read, keep them coming. Thumbs Up

BenBray
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:13 - 10 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely awesome thread - sounds like you're having a great time. We're certainly having a great read!

Keep on postin' Smile

v4forlife
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 16:49 - 11 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is a fantastic read, best in ages. its brilliant to hear ofa peoples triles and tribulations when traveling, meeting all the nice people, and not so nice.

keep it all up, and hope you keep having a trip of your life

makes me wat to get out and travel now

natv4
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:56 - 12 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few of you have mentioned a desire to travel, well what can I say other than simply ask yourselves: Why not?

I started writing a paragraph, along the lines of this is why you should go.... It got a little long, and this isn't (yet) the place for it. I will complete my little tour, then post a new message. I will try and give details of what I required, costs, problems, solutions etc. That way, some of you who are unsure might see how easy it is. Keep your eyes open, I'll probably post it in this thread too, just once I have finished. All I'll say for now is: JUST DO IT!

Thank you once again for your assistance Vespa. I figured it was important Smile So does anyone know what the pole thingys with the balloon like thing on top are? Its going to be very upsetting if I don't find out. I can tell you they are throughout Hungary as well, though I did not see any in Budapest, which still leads me to believe possibly a water tower? Oh well.

Thanks Alliamc, I just want to point out that all you need is a bike, ask Ted Simons (I think), he went far further on a 70's triumph. Some mechanical maintenance may have been required. Thank you Mr Honda, so far so....(maybe I won't finish that)

maurice I have Lonely Planet - Eastern Europe, which is very handy. However, being that I cannot audibly hear how to say things, I'm sure my feeble attempts at communication are incredibly amusing to the locals (even in english!). Does anyone else find they loose the power of english speaking when talking to foreigners? More than once, people have stopped me and said, just say it as you normally would, I speak english Embarassed

Back to the adventures...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

natv4
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:32 - 12 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

PHOTOS
I have taken loads of pictures....Really loads. Now sadly my little camera phone has been having a difficult time. Heading directly into the sun, means a lot of pictures are taken facing the sun. I have now discovered that the phone is no where near as capable as I thought. So a lot of pictures are a little dark. Please just brighten your monitor or something. I have had to exclude so many which I liked (this country is something else!). For those of you with too much time and bandwidth, goto https://1nut.com/pics and from the menu choose Tours / EasternEurope2005 UNCUT. (Don't say I didn't warn you!)

The story continues...
Leaving Budapest is easy....well no. I realise that when I wanted to head down on the map, I was actually directing my energy towards East. Back through Budapest for one last time and I love the dodging traffic and diving through, they weren't fully red, lights. I note that it appears customary (for one chap at least) to use a mobile phone, for texting purposes, whilst navigating the autostrada. I decide that this custom will be one I don't try.

Rain becomes the agenda for my ride. I don't know where it came from, I left a sunny Budapest venturing towards the great lake. I get half way and chance it turns to pouring with no hope of an end. I pull in and mount the kerb at the next rest stop. Perched undercover, I am interrupted from my rainproof trouser jig by another biker. No assuming "spreckon ze deutch", just a casual "fancy meeting an english biker here?!?" Rob, as I later am told, rides a (moto) Guzzi. He's doing much the same as me. Just taking the long way to Italy. I tell him of my insurance woe's. After a fright and a 9pound phone call, his insurance company confirm that he is covered for Slovenia at least. Worth checking? I feel as if I have just shared my bad luck. The rain breaks, looking a little better. I'm sweating, so I remove my gear and we both head off in our shared direction.

The heavens find great amusement by unleashing torrential rain upon my unprotected jacket and self. We both pull off what has become a normal road and shelter under some trees. I struggle in the heavy rain to rainproof myself. After getting even wetter and much effort, I walk over to where Rob stopped. He is standing in a restaurant, eating ice-cream. They say that in life we are all playing parts that have already been done. I know now that I am the stooge side kick. We chat further, I now find myself searching for "Jupiter's Travels" and "Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance" Both books I should have read, but never got round to. Unlike Rob, I like recommendations.

The rains clear, eventually. I don't remove my waterproofs. Upon finding that I am without, Rob kindly donates a few ear plugs (I was in too much of a hurry trying to miss the GP), we say goodbye and head off, Rob separating further up the road to find accommodation. I can't help but think of all these chance encounters. Fleeting glimpses of another life. I will consider this more some time. Maybe one of those books has some ideas...

I press on, day becomes dusk becomes night. As I approach the border, I see rooms advertised for 8euros! They'll probably be just as cheap in Croatia...that image of me the stooge returns.

The border arrives. After much struggling and attempting to make him understand about the insurance, the border guard waves me through. Well I did try. I guess I better make sure I don't crash. Hmm. I'm not sure about this, but it was the high point of the trip whilst planning...

I stop at a 29euro hotel, after driving past 1am and eventually to tired to navigate a foggy motorway. I must remind people to finish their journey's around 6pm instead of pushing on into the night and becoming exhausted, spending good money on an expensive bed.

Morning brings delights, I realise where I stayed is particularly beautiful. As I drive on, I realise maybe its the area. I avoid motorways, sticking to the toll free A roads. They are fantastic. I get into rhythm and start really enjoying myself. A thousand picture postcards float past me. I try my best to capture, just a couple with my phone... the results do no justice at all. Ride here, you'll understand. I would try and describe the mountains in the background, the ravines, the rivers, the flats between the mountains, the greenness of the foliage. Words, pictures, they can't tell you everything. Not really. The smells, the feeling of warmth, the breeze, the leaning. This is the best ride of this year.

There is only one down side. The police. They are really after traffic offences here it would seem. A few times, I have been lucky. Passed them when I was not playing. Lucky I like to look at the view a bit.

I see signs of Cave Tour - This way!. After 10km of unmade, real standup and relax your arms, riding... I reach a small cabin. The girl (honey) takes money, and I'm guided round the caves. I'm amazed. The caves are even better than the 'marry me and we'll run away together' guide. I think solo (not alone!) trips like this make me long for company which would actually want this kind of trip (life).

I see a bat! Whoo! At last, BAT COUNTRY! I've always wanted to say that. But its not really very accurate. This is more Bike country. In fact its Bike Beach Bat Babe Country. In fact its so much more. Without sounding like a travel guide, come see what I mean.

I stop by some waterfalls. I nearly step on a lizard whilst trying to take a picture of a kitten. A fisherman looks on. This place is a utopia in heaven.

I try one of the many eateries at the roadside with a pig on a split, horizontally pirouetting outside, begging your interest and your money. Seeing the animal cooking does nothing to stop it tasting magnificent. I guess anyone who eats meat should know where it comes from.

The perfect twisty roads, running through the "oh look, I've fallen off a cliff" great views really do take my breath away. I can't help but keep grinning. Whomever made this country, was a biker. There is something for everyone. Tight and technical bends. Fast, swooping, leaning bends. Climbing and falling bends. Grippy, slippy. Its all good. They seem very easy to read. I'm not going silly, rarely do on unfamiliar roads. Just enjoying having control. This is THE perfect ride. Full concentration, but not tiring. Inspiring.

So good, I miss my turn and end up on the autostrada, 50km back from where I had got to. The day is fading, so I dash the 200km to Split.

Split is a tourist trap. Lucky for me I guess. At the port, A young chap approaches, I now have a place to stay. There are many people, all offering hotels/rooms/sobe/pension. I chat to him and pass up the opportunity to see some street racing. I head to bed instead, to dream of what I'm missing.

For breakfast, I try a pitta with cheese/ham/mushroom, its good. Part of every place is trying something you don't normally do. Especially food. I watch a pigeon squadron fly laps above my head, don't poo, please don't poo.

The roads to Dubrovnik from Split are awesome. Coast hugging magic. I won't bore you all again, but they are better than yesterday! The views are bigger, the roads are better. My only thoughts to make it till I stop are of the 'pop' a butterfly makes when it tries to stop your helmet at 100kph. I feel sad, so beautiful, never stood a chance. The suicidal flies regularly take turns to mark my hand washed T-Shirt. I hope the campsite has washing machines.

I take endless photos, I must control myself. I wish I could capture this forever.

I stop for an hour or two in a little beach bit, by the road. There are loads of these, I got this little one all to myself, until some naked lady and her husband came swimming round the rocks. I was a true gent, didn't get a picture.

Whilst erecting my tent, I am interrupted by meow. Short and delicate. I look down and see this little fella at my feet. After becoming very attached to him, his mother comes from behind some bushes and calls him away.

Tomorrow I will try a water bike (jet ski, don't break the illusion). I hope this isn't getting too long. I will try and moderate myself a little next time. Seems I'm including too much, but ho hum, is late now and I can't be naffed to fix it.

All the best, may you be lucky in everything you do.
Rgds,

Nat.

Last edited by natv4 on 20:59 - 12 Sep 2005; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

natv4
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:49 - 12 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooops, nearly forgot pictures! Embarassed

natv4
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:58 - 12 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

more photos!

natv4
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:08 - 12 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

and the last of this batch! Whoo...must take less...

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:21 - 12 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic stuff Nat, thanks for sharing the trip with us.

I was busy being amazed at how great these pictures are for a camera phone but I guess at the end of the day when you're in beautiful places you'll take beautiful pictures, regardless.

How long's the adventure then?

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 21:30 - 12 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

To quote Ewan McGregor... it looks like Scotland. Laughing

Really quite jealous right now. Sounds like you're having an awesome time. Thumbs Up

Vespa
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 00:15 - 13 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Vespa on 22:55 - 01 Nov 2005; edited 1 time in total

natv4
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:35 - 15 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bendy, I have never been to scotland but from yours, and other pictures I have seen, I think you may be right. Although, and once again I cant be certain, I think it may be on a bigger scale (dont shoot me if im wrong).

Dom, I guess you are right, its the location that counts. Though I would add that if you look at my uncut pictures, there are a lot of bad ones, so it may partly be a numbers game. Im a little click happy.

Come on Vespa, I could do with some company for the big trek from Montpellier to home.

Next report coming up... with Pics...

natv4
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:44 - 15 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all,

Last time you left me feeling the slight loss of a new furry friend. I quickly overcame that and went to explore the delights of Dubrovnik. What an amazing place (I will buy a dictionary soon). Inside the castle (which is the old town) is the most beautiful place (apart from the bain of my life - tourists). Small, pitter patter passages, no cars or vehicles. Beautiful theatre and bars, restaurants, shops, cafes, live bands. It is really something special. Whomever said it was the Jewel of the Adriatic was not wrong. Beautiful White (marble like stone) with wooden green shutters. Very tasteful. All this with a lovely 20deg temp at midnight. Perfect.

I enjoyed food, some banter with American tourists, and a drink whilst listening to the band play. The jazzy sounds are still whifting round my ears as I write this.

After 10mins of trying to swat the mosquito that crept into my tent, I drift off only to be disturbed by the noise of cats fighting (my friend?). Camping is not a quiet activity.

The warm night means no condensation on my tent, so I get packed quickly. Leaving time to try the water bike (jet ski). FAN-BLOODY-TASTIC! WOW! Its a soon-as-you-can-gotta-try-it sort of thing. 15mins of sliding it sideways and diving the front and bouncing over the waves. Racing slow boats, and big ships. Scaring everyone, well certainly myself. I have got to find somewhere in the UK where I can rent those! Help me someone!

Carma is playing its hand again. I found another deserted beach (no nekid ladies this time), and thoroughly enjoyed the 3 hour journey back to Split for the ferry...Yep, I am cheating. I have given myself an extra day and saved a nights accom. (and several hundred miles fuel) by paying 60euros for a ferry from Split to Venice. Even better, after being unceremoniously kicked out of the comfy chairs at the bar (which closed at 11pm!), I met a group drinking up on deck. 3 Welsh chicks, a brother and sister from the Netherlands, and 2 irish lads. Once again, simply asking "would you mind if I join you?" is all it takes. People are friendly. They shared their wine and their tales. We all had a giggle, and one of the Irish lads sang a couple of acappella irish songs. Great night.

In the morning I notice moths taking off from the deck at the back of the ship, they fly up a bit then get taken by the wind until you can no longer see them....I think a bit like reverse shooting stars. Why is everything so good? Even the daft little things.

So, with little sleep, I head for a disappointing day at Venice. Too many tourists, too much walking (I got very lost) and only time to leap on the bike and .....

Bump into another couple. I was about to give them my iffy parking space when I realised I had been given a ticket. I stuck around to help them find a space (moving other bikes is the norm here). Well once again the words "come and have a beer" become an evening out. We grab a hotel, dump our things, and go out to see the venizian night life. It was ok for bars, but the only club we found was dire. I bumped into a couple of girls, got chatting and we joined them going to an all night pool club. I accidentally hired balls for an Italian game, played on tables with no pockets, similar to bowls. Some local guys (who didnt speak english) attempted to help us learn. Oh dear.

Well, this also happens to be the point where my carma makes good again....

Alice, one of the young ladies who led us there, is quite a pleasant girl. We got on quite well and being the gentleman I am, dont laugh, we ended up leaving the others and walking through Venice in the wee hours of the morning. San Marcos square is awesome when there are no tourists to spoil it. We watched the sun rise whilst sitting in the park and then I walked her back to her hotel. Later I met her and took her for a spin on the bike. I think she liked it. Smile Sadly I had to remove my tent, for her to sit on the back, when I came back someone had swiped it. I didnt even care!

Im now in Milan, wondering weather to sleep in a park and then do an all nighter (still very tired though) or grab a hotel (no tent) and leave early tomorrow for Montpellier. I just cant wipe the big silly grin from my face.

So thank you carma. Thank you, for everything. I still wouldnt change a single thing.
Be lucky all!
Rgds,

-Nat-

Pictures, as ever, will be posted soon. Those of you bored, with bandwidth to waste are welcome to look through the dull uncut selection...
https://1nut.com/pics then select tours - Eastern Europe 2005 UNCUT.

natv4
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:57 - 15 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latest pics....

natv4
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:05 - 15 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

More pics to bore you...

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:21 - 15 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh... Surprised ...wow.

Truly epic, superb story, great pictures. You've inspired me to do this before I go off to uni, perhaps on a slightly smaller scale. Razz

Great stuff, keep it up. When are you back?

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 21:23 - 15 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

great thread
give alice one for me Wink

numbnut
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 00:07 - 16 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. Was good bedtime reading.

I have been trying to do something like this for ages, something always comes up. Just mailed my friend a link to this as he, i think, would be up for this as well.

By the way Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance, as far as i have read it, is a good read.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

natv4
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:40 - 22 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as I sit tapping into my keyboard, I am currently sitting in a little hotel. Not in some strange, beautiful foreign country. Just Chippenham. England. Near Bristol.

A sigh leaves my lips. Its over. finish. end. terminal. No more for this year. I finally realise I'm home. Tell tale signs. 760miles from Montpellier to Calais - 9 hours. 120 miles from London to Chippenham - 3 hours. I was in the bar downstairs for an hour or so. Not one person to talk to in a crowded pub. Tried a few conversations, a girl quickly asked her boyfriend some pointless question [I'm with him, I don't talk to strangers]. Why are we so closed up as a nation. Everybody seems to think they are under attack. He's talking to me...must be interested/dangerous...both. Ah, normal life.

Well, I guess I should begin where I left off, Milano (Milan). I didn't take the easy (expensive) option. I decided that tired or not, best thing for it was to blast through to France and Montpellier. I attacked the road after obtaining supplies from a supermarket. Fruit juice with some choc snacks (sugar required when extremely tired). I immediately found myself lost. Sign posts ask where you want to go, not which road you are looking for. After much ado, and several passes of the central area, I found the correct road (A4). First thing I notice as I pull up to the barrier is that it is up and there is no ticket (for the autostrada). I pass through and panic. No ticket, problems the other end? I go back through another open barrier and try a different one. Same. With no one to ask, I assume perhaps they are not charging for autostrada tonight.

I ride for maybe an hour before sleep begins to envelope me. This should not be happening, at least 2 hours... My head tilts forwards once, the bars wiggle a little. I can't focus on anything for longer than a second. I try with all my might, but I cannot ride like this. Once again, I pull off the road, unroll my sleeping mat, and lie on it. I'm asleep right away. I don't know how long I sleep for, but the moon hasn't moved far. I feel better. I'm told that you only need a 30min power nap, to give you another couple of hours alertness. The land looks different under darkness. Just the constant glow of cats eyes. I leave the autostrada to make my way through the mountains. The toll bothe operator doesn't speak english and seems highly agitated at my lack of ticket. I try and explain. He wants to charge me 60euros (it should be 8). I refuse and we come to the agreement of me giving him 8 and him giving me a ticket to send back with my reason. Its not very clear what to do, and he is not a lot of help. I'm too tired to care, and leave swiftly.

The mountains are not well sign posted either. They seem to want you to use the expensive toll autostrada, and don't sign the alternatives very well. After a couple hours, trying various dead ends, I find the road I want. Please ensure that you have good maps of where you are, mine was a fold out map of Europe. Only the major roads and towns. 30km to the cm. Not great. I slept again on a bus stop bench. Longer this time. I woke to see morning breaking. Traffic was picking up and my arm was still asleep. My waterproofs, jumper, and leather jacket have kept me reasonably warm. More riding and I'm in france. First stop and grab warm croissant (or 4), with orange juice and then drive past the beautiful Alpine countryside. Big, crystal blue lakes (I stop to rest and read). The hills are awesome, I find myself way above the speed limit, enjoying the sweeping 90mph corners. I avoid 3 police speed checks by shear fluke and a kind van drivers flash. This must be my lucky day.

Time is ticking on. After travelling in the wrong direction, at speed for 45mins, I switch to the autoroute. Uneventful, swift transportation. I arrive in Montpellier and phone my friend. Answerphone. I ring some other mates who are flying in. Answerphone. I find a bar, read and have a beer. 5 hours later my friend is apologising, new phone number and forgot to switch their phone on. Its ok. Just good to see them. Oz, my Montpellian friend, and his missus are cooking. We eat and then after a phone call, we have a party to attend. Amazing, where else in the world can you just ring up and get a party.

The bike stays in the garage, we all sleep late and enjoy a lazy day. We share music and giggles. Another day comes to a close. In the morning I awake, pack and say my goodbyes. Ahead is a trip of 760miles. My advice for anyone driving from southern france is to take the road between Montpellier and Clarmont Ferrand. Its awesome, through mountains and gorges. Too many photo opps, but I press on. The roads are great, but petrol is running low. All the stations so far have been closed (sunday is dead in France). I have to stop and wait for someone to let me give them Euros to use their card on the automated pumps. I fill up a 10l tank so that I won't get stuck again.

Long journey's are definitely made or broken by the vehicle used. The Honda's been good. It hasn't let me down and comfort wise, I have no aches, really. Panniers have only made cornering more fun. I know from last year that soft luggage doesn't affect performance so much, but I choose hard luggage every time now. Its more fun balancing the bike, accounting for the difference. The main reason is being able to stop and not worry about my stuff. Just walk to the beach, stuff safely locked up. The other tips I'd have is take gear you don't care about so much. Old helmet, gloves, boots, jacket. I just sling a bike chain through the arm of my jacket and helmet, stick my gloves in the helmet and go wherever.

Freedom. What its all about. Try it, I don't doubt you'll love it...At least after the event.

natv4
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:58 - 22 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured a useful recap of costs and losses might be useful. Bare in mind that as I only get limited time for travelling, I never really worried too much about cost. If I didn't have the money, I reckon spending could be cut to about 350. A cheaper vehicle could be used, reducing fuel and service costs. Don't take all the electrical equipment, it only breaks and you don't need it.

Costs (GBP) (23 days travel)
310 Petrol
80 Dover/Calais Ferry return
56 Split/Choiggi Ferry Single
31 Cash machine withdrawl charges
729 Cash withdrawn (all expenses bar fuel/tolls)
585 Pre travel bike servicing (new front discs!)
380 Stolen in Brno.
12 Tent
289 Givi rack and panniers (needed anyway)
---
Total 1598 (exc service & Givi which would be needed anyway)

Things I took and needed:
1 Tent
1 Sleeping Bag
1 sleeping mat
1 mobile phone
1 passport
2 credit/debit cards (1 spare)
3 T-shirts
5 pairs of socks
4 boxer shorts
1 swim shorts
1 comfy riding armoured trousers
1 leather jacket
1 set of waterproofs
1 system to charge mobile from bike
3 books
2 bottles of water (at all times, in case you get stuck)
2 spare bulbs
1 first aid kit
1 small tool kit (with self tapping screws for punctures)
1 thin summer trousers
1 towel
1 wash bag with shower gel, toothpaste and brush, deodorant.

Items lost/broken/stolen/given away
380 Cash in euros and czech money.
1 Tent (stolen, but worth it)
1 Towel (left at campsite in czech)
1 Laptop (my cheap phone calls/map/email/internet etc)
1 Camera (rubbish, broke straight away)
1 bottle of wine (red) - gift for the wedding couple.
1 Da Vinci Code book - Gift for english traveller.
1 Electrical socket for bike (fixed for free by a kind man in budapest)
1 Mobile phone (water damage, worked after 2 days drying out)
1 Givi rack (the 4 main screws went missing, foul play? - fixed for free by kind mechanic in slovakia)

Don't be put off by the price, avoid toll roads, dont get too many expensive hotels (I had 3 which were over 40 euros!) and don't eat out all the time.

Total mileage: 3488
Most in 24hrs: 879 (home from Montpellier, then straight to Chippenham)
Best Place: There are too many. I loved Croatia though!
Best thing: The wonderful people along the way. And the breath taking views.
Low Points: Not having someone to share it all with.

Its funny, I feel more at home whilst out doing this, than at home. It was stupidly expensive, but I would do it again without hesitation. I feel I've learned more about life, just little things. My faith in human nature has only been confirmed (even with the robbery).

Vespa
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:37 - 22 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Vespa on 22:56 - 01 Nov 2005; edited 1 time in total

tintin
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:40 - 22 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations - this was a great report, great photos and some interesting insights into travelling on your own. Good point about trying to start a conversation in England as well.

Years ago I did a trip on my own to the bol d"or and the alps and it was when I got to the alps at the end of the day I found it difficult riding solo. I would settle down with a meal and a beer and I really wanted to share the days experiences with someone...
However I've also travelled with a group of 5 other bikes and it was a pain in the arse, someone was always getting lost, stopping for petrol, wanting to go somewhere different. I think 2 bikes is about the best number for a succesful tour.

You would like this site, (if you haven't already seen it)
https://www.advrider.com

These are ride reports that really worked for me, many similar sentiments to the ones you voiced.

https://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41209
A Englishman travelling around America for about a year...

https://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36783&page=1&pp=15

https://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56682&page=1&pp=15

This final thread is still going on at the moment - the guys on the forum are sponsoring him $40 a day to keep riding around America

https://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94116&page=1&pp=15

tintin
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:45 - 22 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something else I wondered about: why did you often travel late at night I would have thought this was potentially more dangerous.

I know we often don't stop when we should (white line fever) - I fell asleep on a French motorway at 3am but I woke up 30 seconds later on the hard shoulder still doing 100mph...not recommended.

mrtEE
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:57 - 22 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of all the birds you tried it on with...... Did you get your legover?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 223 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3