|
|
| Author |
Message |
| scorpio69 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 scorpio69 Derestricted Danger
Joined: 10 Sep 2005 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 16:43 - 27 Oct 2005 Post subject: BHP - Broken Horse Power |
 |
|
I haven't been on line for a while - I've been in hospital recovering from a "One Horse Power" incident. What's that? I hear you ask. Well, um, now for the embarrassing bit. I only started riding this year - May - and I got myself a Honda NSR. I got ribbed a lot by the guys who I know as they thought, being a lady, that there was no way I could ride one. I proved them wrong but my biking was cut short by an arm op so I only rode for almost two months. I started riding my bike again and it was a great late summer day and I thought I'd blast up to my parents. It's in the middle of nowhere with some bitching roads (as in really crap and hard work). My mum got herself a young horse called Charlie. She wanted me to try his new saddle out on him and as I went to mount he threw one almighty buck and I was airborne. Unfortunately, on the way down, I took out a low level retaining wall and succeeded in breaking my tibia, fibula and ankle. The pain was unbelievable and unfortunately for me I was conscious throughout so I could see my foot flopping about on the end of my leg and all the blood etc. Hey! You should have seen the state of the wall! When the paramedics arrived I was laughing (think they thought I was delirious) but it occurred to me that I'd been joking about wearing my bike boots and leathers etc and it was kind of ironic. I use to ride horses all the time as a kid and never broke a bone no matter what kind of fall I'd had. Turns out the break is similar to what would happen if you weren't wearing protective boot wear on a bike and went down and impacted with something. I don't know how long it will be before I can walk again but I'm determined to ride my bike again. 3 ops so far and 5 weeks on today, I'm hoping it won't be too long. As for Charlie, well, no more one horse power for me. Besides, he made a "Charlie" out of me and I can't let that go!
Anyone else had one of these breaks and how long did it take before you could ride again?
P.S. Any suggestions as to how to make a manual wheelchair more interesting?!!!!!  ____________________
Live Life to the Full |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| phill.c |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 phill.c Traffic Copper

Joined: 13 May 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 16:53 - 27 Oct 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
bad luck your having, just make sure you get the ok before getting back on the bike, as you havn't been riding long. but i hope everything goes well for you so you can get out on it soon.
3 ops in 5 weeks bet you feel like shite
im sure soemeone will have a spare engine you can borrow to stick on the whhelchair, or see how long you can wheelie it for  ____________________ CBR400RR the funs started - Honda MTX 125 ongoing project when i can be arsed  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| scorpio69 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 scorpio69 Derestricted Danger
Joined: 10 Sep 2005 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 16:57 - 27 Oct 2005 Post subject: BHP |
 |
|
Thanks Phill - to say I've got a bad case of cabin fever is an understatement!
By the way, how cruel is this site? I couldn't help but notice all the "Horse Holidays" etc links come up on the bottom of this page. B*stards! ____________________
Live Life to the Full |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kickstart |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kickstart The Oracle

Joined: 04 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 16:58 - 27 Oct 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Hi
Ouch. Hope you recover quickly. Length of recovery seems to vary but hopefully you are well on your way.
The NHS wheelchairs are too heavy to do anything with short of using them as a boat anchor. Said from experience of pushing one for a while including just about killing myself up a steep hill. On the other hand if you go to Alton Towers you can avoid all the queues.
All the best
Keith ____________________ Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| LUXY DJ |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 LUXY DJ World Chat Champion

Joined: 25 Sep 2005 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 16:58 - 27 Oct 2005 Post subject: Re: BHP - Broken Horse Power |
 |
|
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| scorpio69 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 scorpio69 Derestricted Danger
Joined: 10 Sep 2005 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 17:02 - 27 Oct 2005 Post subject: Re: BHP - Broken Horse Power |
 |
|
That's nothing - when they finally got me to hospital the Consultant asked me, "And what you done today?" to which I replied, "Had a smashing time!"
Of course, I guess my reply should have been, "Shit Sherlock - I thought YOU were the doctor!" ____________________
Live Life to the Full |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Jack_Cheese |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Jack_Cheese World Chat Champion

Joined: 14 Jul 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 12:35 - 28 Oct 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Have you had any intraveinous morphine yet? the oramorph is shite, bt the push-button stuff sends you on the train to loopy land! Hope you have a speedy recovery!
Jack ____________________ www.bikepics.com/members/jackcheese <--- NOW FOR SALE! 51 Plate Cagiva Planet 125
Quacker_boy: "Jack, you really are a dick!" |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| colin1 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 colin1 Captain Safety
Joined: 17 Feb 2005 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| scorpio69 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 scorpio69 Derestricted Danger
Joined: 10 Sep 2005 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 12:53 - 28 Oct 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
To say I would have rattled if you'd shaken me is an understatement - I was on 28 pills a day and was also on the dreaded oromorph which tastes like a really nasty shot! The first few days I was in hospital they kept dosing me up with morphine shots and to be honest, I really didn't know what was going on as I was totally tripping
As for breaking the horses legs - man! That would be darn mean. Don't you think enough animals get abused in this country? Besides, it was all I could do to stop my father from wanting to shoot him!  ____________________
Live Life to the Full |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| scorpio69 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 scorpio69 Derestricted Danger
Joined: 10 Sep 2005 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 12:56 - 28 Oct 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Jack: lid on, leg over, knee down (at least when i pass my test)
Couldn't help but notice your signature - poor you. No leg over until you pass your test!  ____________________
Live Life to the Full |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| map |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 map Mr Calendar

Joined: 14 Jun 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 13:01 - 28 Oct 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| scorpio69 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 scorpio69 Derestricted Danger
Joined: 10 Sep 2005 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 13:11 - 28 Oct 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Thanks Map. Yep, I remember my fathers reaction to all my boyfriends only too clearly! At the time we lived in a semi so he couldn't legally use his shotgun as it wasn't on farmland
Totally understand your concern re: horses. As a kid I was trampled, dragged and crushed by varying horses over the years. I always had a helmet and long boots on. Nowadays, the kit is better and resembles the Moto X gear. If you've got concerns - invest in some. Kids ones come up regularly on Ebay and are a lot cheaper than in the saddlery shops.
I agree - you know where you are with a bike. If you screw up - it's your fault. If somebody else screws up and you get hurt - it's their fault. Anyway, you can't push 100mph on a horse
P.S. Not that I do that on the road of course as that would be illegal  ____________________
Live Life to the Full |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ISLAND GIRL |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ISLAND GIRL World Chat Champion

Joined: 24 Oct 2005 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| scorpio69 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 scorpio69 Derestricted Danger
Joined: 10 Sep 2005 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 13:26 - 28 Oct 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Animals are just unpredictable thats all and need a wide berth.......a bit like some men, lol! Sorry guys
Girl you've got that one right! I'm with you on that one. Anyway, a bike doesn't answer back, doesn't mind if you go out with the girls and is always there if you need a thrill!  ____________________
Live Life to the Full |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| map |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 map Mr Calendar

Joined: 14 Jun 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| scorpio69 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 scorpio69 Derestricted Danger
Joined: 10 Sep 2005 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 13:32 - 28 Oct 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Map, isn't that just some Dalmation hit with the Ugly Stick?  ____________________
Live Life to the Full |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Jack_Cheese |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Jack_Cheese World Chat Champion

Joined: 14 Jul 2005 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 20 years, 341 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|