Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Spare tank, canned gasoline

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

kawashima
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:26 - 03 Dec 2005    Post subject: Spare tank, canned gasoline Reply with quote

I am thinking of buying spare tank or canned gasoline.
Do you have any of them? Do you have any suggestion?
Last month I went mass touring with shop members, and became nervous about gas empty.

Nb
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:08 - 04 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canned gasoline wtf? Never heard of it! Might be better off with a 5 litre plastic jerry can in a back pack instead? Are petrol stations that far apart where you go ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jrod
Page 3 Girl

PostPosted: 05:35 - 04 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks just like a metal jerry can?

Wasn't stinkwheel saying about rigging up another tank?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kawashima
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:21 - 04 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found it thanks.
https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=764832#764832

Today I searched and found that, it is prohibited to fuel gasoline into plastic jerrycan in japan(fire sevices law) Shocked . It was why only metal jerry can(for gasoline) is sold here.
I'll rethink and choose from metal jerry can or canned gasoline.(I'll stop and syphon from jerry can).
Parking my bike leaving jerrycan on rear seat is a little bit uneasy.
Or I'll try to use engine oil can(dangerous though!)
Thanks.

kawashima
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:28 - 04 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nb wrote:
Canned gasoline wtf? Never heard of it! Might be better off with a 5 litre plastic jerry can in a back pack instead? Are petrol stations that far apart where you go ?

It was BBQ mass touring deep in the mountain, and all gas station were closed on sunday. I couldn't enjoy back home riding at all Laughing .

Nb
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:31 - 04 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Today I searched and found that, it is prohibited to fuel gasoline into plastic jerrycan in japan(fire sevices law) . It was why only metal jerry can(for gasoline) is sold here.
I'll rethink and choose from metal jerry can or canned gasoline.(I'll stop and syphon from jerry can).
Parking my bike leaving jerrycan on rear seat is a little bit uneasy.
Or I'll try to use engine oil can(dangerous though!)
Thanks

Ah so no plastic cans. What do you mean use engine oil ? Not to fill up your petrol tank surely... Wink Can you not just work out how far you are going and fill up at the last nearest open filling station? If any are open atall. Shocked
Or buy a suzuki dl650 with a 22 litre tank. Mr. Green Have you got any pictures of where you go touring ? Would be interesting to see the place. Thumbs Up

kawashima
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:35 - 04 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nb wrote:
Ah so no plastic cans. What do you mean use engine oil ? Not to fill up your petrol tank surely... Wink Can you not just work out how far you are going and fill up at the last nearest open filling station? If any are open atall. Shocked
Or buy a suzuki dl650 with a 22 litre tank. Mr. Green Have you got any pictures of where you go touring ? Would be interesting to see the place. Thumbs Up

I read someone used empty 2litter bottle of engine oil as emergency subtank(dangerous but better than coke bottle).W650 has 14litter tank and run 23km/litter. But Our team leader didn't stop for fueling during we were going highway at all.
I like DL650Vstrom too. I might have bought it if I was more taller!
These are some pics.
https://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b295/kawashima_/RIMG0004.jpghttps://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b295/kawashima_/RIMG0005.jpghttps://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b295/kawashima_/RIMG0008.jpg
https://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b295/kawashima_/RIMG0011.jpghttps://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b295/kawashima_/RIMG0012.jpghttps://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b295/kawashima_/RIMG0015.jpg
https://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b295/kawashima_/RIMG0016.jpghttps://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b295/kawashima_/kawashima.jpg

Nb
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:00 - 04 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like theres a few of you there!! Looks like a good ride out. Thumbs Up Perhaps the metal can is your best option, just make sure its secure in your top box. Not sure how much a top box can carry weight wise ? I wouldnt use an empty oil can though. Wink

DucatiEVO
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 16:59 - 04 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canned gas, haha. I can vision it now, out comes the tin opener and 'spark' as you puncture the can!!!!

Laughing

Wave2k
G's Stalker

PostPosted: 17:31 - 04 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used a thick plastic bottle, and filled it with petrol when i went to scotland.
we ended up using it on a campfire tho.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 22:30 - 04 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use rinsed out plastic enginer oil bottles sometimes but I think that they are more like 5 litre than 2 litre.

They fit nicely into panniers.

I think using a pouring through a funnel would be easier than syphoning petrol from a jerry can.

If you do the syphoning, practise first and do it by putting the tube into the tank, and covering the end and then pulling out the tube with the end still covered rather than sucking.

You will need to hold the jerry can higher than your bike tank for it to work, so you might as well use a funnel and pour it in instead.

I wdnt carry anything heavy in a top box if i were you, put the jerry cans in panniers instead as they will not make the bike as top heavy.

R4nger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:41 - 09 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.fieldandtrek.com/cat_id/EQUICAMPCAMPFUEL/cid/VOU8GGF2SSZCUQQ6RD92IOMYP9VUO27S/product-MSR-Fuel-Bottle-18534.htm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 23:50 - 09 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 litre won't get you very far, hardly worth the hassle carrying.

The trick is to tour with a mate whose bike has less fuel range. That way he will always run out first and you get to look smug. (Plus you can always go on ahead for petrol, or share what you've got).

R4nger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:19 - 10 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can be used for fuel stoves and 1 litre can. 12 miles pushing is alot more than 12 miles of fuel Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

natv4
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 05:09 - 10 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a 10litre petrol can on the back seat whilst touring. Though I did keep it empty when not needed. I wish someone would make a nice touring tank for my bike. 30 litres/300 miles would be about right.

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 01:56 - 04 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have The Offspring in Japan? Mr. Green cool Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Mik_RX125
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 23:49 - 07 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparks! wrote:

I was going to say that Very Happy

I've seen somewhere that a guy hooked up a 5 litre metal jerry can as a spare tank. He drilled a small hole in the bottom and hooked it up to the fuel line using another fuel pipe, and then just used a cat net to tie it down onto the pillion seat.

Mik

kawashima
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:46 - 19 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I bought petrol can of 5 litres.
My W650 tank is only 14 litres but now I have 14 + 5 litres.
Tank milage increased from 210 miles to 285 miles Smile .
https://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b295/kawashima_/W650-petrol2.jpghttps://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b295/kawashima_/W650-petrol3.jpg
https://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b295/kawashima_/W650-petrol4.jpghttps://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b295/kawashima_/W650-petrol5.jpg

Sparks! wrote:

I am mad fan. I'm waiting for next album(I like smash)

*sorry W tank was 14 liter (correction)

Last edited by kawashima on 15:57 - 19 Feb 2006; edited 1 time in total

Nb
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:55 - 19 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloody hell, your well kitted out there. Shocked Thumbs Up

carlnicholson...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:20 - 20 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

210 mile tank range! I would do anything for a range like that.

Are you sure it's not kilometers!

kawashima
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:07 - 21 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

carlnicholsony2k wrote:
210 mile tank range! I would do anything for a range like that.

Are you sure it's not kilometers!

Yes. W650 runs about 24km per litre.24km*14L/1.6=210miles/tank.
Although I often become nervous of empty about 150miles.
Cause W doesn't have petrol meter, and it's about 20km/L at wingding.
And I go to fill up so often in order to keep tank milage for next start(almost fill up paranoia Sad ). Now I can enjoy riding until empty of main tank Smile .

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:20 - 19 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever happened to Stinkwheel's bigger fuel tank project? , I had an idea myself , for me NTV.

which does loads of miles anyway.

Disconnect the fuel 'pipe' from the bottom of the tank , split it into two separate pipes via bodging or using some plumbing pipes.

and hide the spare tank inside an £15 Aldi tank bag, hence 40ish litres
so 500+ miles range.

Though my bladder doesn't have that range though.

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 17:13 - 19 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

this guy fitted a 3 gallon fuel cell to a rear carrier for a long distance touring

https://www.theunderdahls.com/fuelcell.php

I wouldnt trust my plumbing skills on fuel lines tho and would prefer to carry extra fuel in old empty 5 litre oil containers.

Keen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:04 - 20 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah... plus having 3 gallons of fuel hanging over the back of the bike would fuck up the handling (besides I'd be scared of having that much fuel sitting against my lower back Shocked ).

I'm planning on using sturdy camping fuel bottles this summer (like ranger suggested). One in each pannier for an extra couple of emergency litres Thumbs Up

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 16:13 - 20 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keen wrote:
yeah... plus having 3 gallons of fuel hanging over the back of the bike would fuck up the handling (besides I'd be scared of having that much fuel sitting against my lower back Shocked ).

I'm planning on using sturdy camping fuel bottles this summer (like ranger suggested). One in each pannier for an extra couple of emergency litres Thumbs Up

you wont carry much in those and they are quite expensive
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 26 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2