Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Favourite places to tour

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 03:39 - 09 Dec 2005    Post subject: Favourite places to tour Reply with quote

Where have you most enjoyed riding your bike, whether it be scraping sliders or soaking up the scenary?

I love riding in the French Alps, been there twice in summer and for me it's the perfect climate - not too hot and with a steady cooling breeze. I could really see myself living somewhere along the N85 Cool , that's if someone decides to build a software company on it. Rolling Eyes

https://www.walesbikers.co.uk/gallery/albums/userpics/MauPics/europe05claud/normal_IMG_0166.JPG

Elsewhere I really enjoyed the scenary and general pottering about, soaking up the culture in mid-Italy earlier this year. Not so much for the roads (off the main roads they were slippier than expected), but for the incredible views.

https://www.walesbikers.co.uk/gallery/albums/userpics/MauPics/europe05/normal_Picture%20081.jpg

Any thoughts?

RigsVille
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 10:17 - 09 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree 100%, I also love the Alps (and most parts of France)

Check out https://www.alpineroads.com

In the UK, I like Yorkshire, Peak District and Mid Wales.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 15:31 - 09 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah good site, I check it out earlier this year. Cool webcams from some of the passes.

natv4
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 05:51 - 10 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, but I would have to go with the warmer Pyrenese (arse, can't spell) or the very lovely Croatia. But all are fantastic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Keen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:56 - 10 Dec 2005    Post subject: Re: Favourite places to tour Reply with quote

maurice wrote:

I love riding in the French Alps, been there twice in summer and for me it's the perfect climate - not too hot and with a steady cooling breeze. I could really see myself living somewhere along the N85 Cool , that's if someone decides to build a software company on it. Rolling Eyes

Any thoughts?

Look up 'sophia antipolis', its half-jokingly refered to as the silicon valley of france, located just behind Nice on the riviera. I lived there last year and the place is full of software companies, I worked for one! its a bloody nice place to live for a bit, with great roads all around, if you fancy that kind of thing Thumbs Up

I'm planning more touring in the future but so far my only big trip was corsica. The whole place was beautiful and the roads incredible, you can literally lap the island on twisty b roads without leaving sight of the sea. Couldn't recommend it enough.

Nath
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:39 - 10 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only toured one place, which was Spain this year. A very beautiful and interesting country, and I think there's tons more to see that I didn't have time for. The country is littered with mountain ranges, which means endless kilometres of twisty deserted roads with fantastic scenery in the background Thumbs Up
https://homepage.ntlworld.com/steven.coy/spain_pics/andalucia-1.jpg
A mountainous part of Andalucia in the South, though my favourite part of Spain was of course the Pyrenees.

For next summer I have planned a mammoth three month trip taking in 24 EU countries + a few others, which should hopefully give me a better idea of what the rest of Europe looks like. Obviously the large distance means I will have to miss an awful lot and not have time to explore the kind minor roads that lead to nowhere which I really loved riding on in Spain, but there always has to be compromise when touring Sad What trips do other people have planned? I know Maurice mentioned something about Morrocco, and Natv4 has set himself a high standard to match his adventure this year.

panrider
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 22:17 - 10 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

we are doing france & spain again next year then morocco .then egypt next xmas for 2 months . Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 01:35 - 11 Dec 2005    Post subject: Re: Favourite places to tour Reply with quote

Keen wrote:
Look up 'sophia antipolis', its half-jokingly refered to as the silicon valley of france, located just behind Nice on the riviera. I lived there last year and the place is full of software companies, I worked for one! its a bloody nice place to live for a bit, with great roads all around, if you fancy that kind of thing Thumbs Up

I have actually been looking at working somewhere on the Riveria some time after I finish uni. Do you mind me asking how you managed to get a software job working there, and what level of French you needed to do it?

Nath wrote:
What trips do other people have planned? I know Maurice mentioned something about Morrocco, and Natv4 has set himself a high standard to match his adventure this year.

Yeah plans at the moment are to go a little into Morocco, as it isn't really all that far at all from Spain. Been to Gibralter once while I was on holiday with my family a few years back and remember being quite impressed with the sight of the Atlas mountains from the top of the rock.

24 EU countries? Shit, I didn't realise there was that many. You taking the bros again?

Nath
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:01 - 11 Dec 2005    Post subject: Re: Favourite places to tour Reply with quote

maurice wrote:
Been to Gibralter once while I was on holiday with my family a few years back and remember being quite impressed with the sight of the Atlas mountains from the top of the rock.

Yeah, I was pretty impressed by that as well Thumbs Up Amazing to be standing on the furthest tip of Europe, looking out at the edge of Africa and practically a whole different world.
https://homepage.ntlworld.com/steven.coy/spain_pics/gibralta-1.jpg

The only EU country I won't be going to is Ireland, which would be a bit expensive to go to just to be able to boast 'every country in the EU'. There is plenty of time for Ireland later on. At the moment I am entertaining the idea of using the 1976 cb550 that is currently sat in my garage in pieces, not having ran for 8 years. If I ever get it on the road it will be ratted - I reckon there's few things more stylish than doing a 10k+ mile European jaunt on a totally individual 30 year old bike rebuilt from the bottom up entirely by myself Cool

Keen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:09 - 11 Dec 2005    Post subject: Re: Favourite places to tour Reply with quote

maurice wrote:
Keen wrote:

I have actually been looking at working somewhere on the Riveria some time after I finish uni. Do you mind me asking how you managed to get a software job working there, and what level of French you needed to do it?

Well I had it easy, because for my degree I had to do an internship in the third year. When it came time to apply, companies were approaching my uni asking for interns, and one of these companies was Amadeus, who make software for the travel industry. Since it was based on the riviera and the rest were croydon/wigan/other normal places I applied for that. I worked in the marketing department, but the company takes on even more software interns. Quite a few of the interns ended up being given full time jobs after their placements, so if you wanted to work there longer that would be the best route to take.

There are tons of other companies there that do the same thing, so you should really take a look. I had a friend working for someone called ETSI there, can't think of more off the top of my head but I bet it would be easy enough to find out.
There was NO requirement for french language, Amadeus was an english speaking company, all meetings and documentation is done in english basically because the company is so international. Its the same for most of the companies there. Still obviously its france, so having some french skills on your cv helps. The company also offered subsidised french lessons, that take place on company time, so I took them and I actually picked up quite alot of french when there.

I'd really recommend it. Its a fantastic place to live for a while, near cannes, nice and monaco, with italy less than 2 hrs away. The french style of working is great, lunch is an hour but if you take 2 no one minds, people regularly turned up an hour late, no one cared as long as everything got done. Just at Amadeus there were about 50 interns, representing most nationalities. We had an email list set up to notify people about events/parties, so with 50 people there was always a party going on or a trip planned.

If you have any questions let me know and I'll try and help
Thumbs Up

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 23:46 - 11 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well when maurice gets a job in france, we can all crash at his place when we come touring down there Smile

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 00:13 - 12 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Sounds like a plan. That would be an awesome touring base, Pyhrennes(sp) to the West, the Alps to the North, Italy to the East and Corsica to the South Drooling

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 20:49 - 12 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

get yourself a uni placement at this place keen was talking about or something similar and then when you finish uni, they will hire you.

summer placements are good for getting jobs
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 140 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1