Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Test Ride Pt II: The GSX-R1000

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell
View previous topic : View next topic  

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:00 - 11 Feb 2006    Post subject: Test Ride Pt II: The GSX-R1000 Reply with quote

For those that read it, you'll remember I went to a dealer to test ride an Aprilia RSV1000R and GSX-R1000 two weeks ago. Well, they had naff all fuel available so I only got fifteen minutes on the RSV that day (Review here). Today I arranged to go back and try again, this time actually getting on the GSXR.

If you didn't know, I ride a GSX-R750 K3 normally so was very interested in how the 1000cc bike compared. They had a K2, K3 and a K4 model available for riding, so naturally I took the latest and opted for the K4. I supposed to give the biggest indicator in difference between the 750 and 1000 I should have gone for the same version as mine, but I wanted the most recent!

Controls are very similar; just a couple of tweaks, so that was no different really. The same could not be said about the riding position, however, which felt quite different. Not massively, but the bike felt a touch more compact and a bit narrower which was a tad surprising. Also on the move it felt nimbler (which hardly seemed possible) and extremely responsive. I don't know if the geometry changed between the K3 and K4 (or even between the 750 and 1000) but it felt like it. Being that the bike felt different from the off, it's highly likely. It was impressive, however, that the flickable nature of the bike did not mean it lost any stability at speed. I noticed it was fitted with the same OEM steering damper as my K3 and I'm sure it needs it.

Onto the power (which was the real reason for the ride! Twisted Evil ). I can sum it up in one word: never-ending. Due partly to the torque, I'm sure, it pulls from nothing all the way to the redline. One of the most noticeable things about my 750 when I moved from a 600 was the fact that so much more of the rev range was usable. On a 600 you have to keep in the top half of the rev range to make full use of it's potential. The same is true of the 750 to a degree, except that it would pull from lower down and would do so acceptably well. The 1000 is like taking that jump again. It will begin to pull hard (for example) from 4,000 revs in top gear. I didn't nail it too much in the lower gears (£1,000 excess hanging over my head if I binned it) but the front wheel went light everywhere. Might save you some money on tyres but will ultimately cost more in front forks! Laughing 110mph in second gear is about the same as my 750, so I don't know if the gearing has been altered, but either way, it flies! Final thing to mention is the sound. My 750 with a race Akrapovich sounds nice, but the 1000cc bike with a standard can sounded awesome. Imagine what it'd be like with a nice illegal exhaust...

I got back to the dealer and declined the offer of the RSV again on two grounds; a) It was bloody freezing this morning and my fingers were blue b) after riding it before, and now having ridden the GSXR I knew it stood no chance. The lazy power delivery of the twin just does nothing for me, and if I felt like that on a test ride, what would I be like owning it?

So, the GSX-R is the bike of the two, no doubt about it. Do I need that much power on the road? Of course not, and I already knew it. Do I want it? Yes please! Now, anyone want to lend me a couple of grand?

GSX-R750 K3 vs GSX-R1000 K4
Dry Weight: 166kgs : 168kgs
Power: 123bhp : 144bhp
Torque: 63.4 lb/ft : 74.8 lb/ft

I had planned to drag Jeanette along to the dealers because they had a big sale on today and also to get her first ride on her new NC30. She's been bunged up with flu since yesterday so didn't fancy it. I did send her in the car though because I was on the look out for a nice big Goretex jacket and wouldn't be able to carry it back. Did I find a jacket? No. But my credit card did find a nice new armoured Dainese jacket for Jeanette (to replace the crappy Buffalo one she's currently using). She better not mention Valentine's Day in my vacinity! Anway, £150 reduced from £299. Just needs some trousers and then she'll be ready for the track!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Andy C
Tree Seeking Missile

PostPosted: 17:09 - 11 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad you got a ride out the GSXR1000

did it sway you enough to sell your for it? nice review btw Thumbs Up

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:41 - 11 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy C wrote:
did it sway you enough to sell your for it? nice review btw Thumbs Up

Cheers. I don't have the spare cash at the moment, and to be honest I don't need it over my bike. When I get the point where I want to chop the 750 in for something else though, I definitely have a contender!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kram
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:03 - 11 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

flame coloured downpipes. that's different

lurker
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:46 - 11 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

dunno if i could be bothered going to the hassle of test riding a bike unless i had the cash to buy it.
especially at this time of year.

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 20:02 - 11 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks alot nicer than the new one's. Saw a new R6 today, not sure if i liked it. Confused

Andy C
Tree Seeking Missile

PostPosted: 21:44 - 11 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

markcatate wrote:
Looks alot nicer than the new one's. Saw a new R6 today, not sure if i liked it. Confused

yea i agree, i love gixxers but i just dont think that new ones (K5+) are that great, the GXSR1000K5 although meant to handle amazing looks that great, bit too pointy bit i do love curvy bikes....

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:02 - 11 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

lurker wrote:
dunno if i could be bothered going to the hassle of test riding a bike unless i had the cash to buy it.
especially at this time of year.

No hassle at all really. I was going there anyway (for the sale), and all I had to do was give them my licence, sign a form and away you go! Twisted Evil

Andy C
Tree Seeking Missile

PostPosted: 23:04 - 11 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i really want to test ride a IL4 600 as never ridding one but then again i dont want the tempation to sell the SV!!

riichy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:06 - 11 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks very nice....dare i ask how much it would be costing to buy Question

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:07 - 11 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy C wrote:
i really want to test ride a IL4 600 as never ridding one but then again i dont want the tempation to sell the SV!!

Do it! Wink

riichy wrote:
looks very nice....dare i ask how much it would be costing to buy Question

That particular one was for sale at £5700.

riichy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:09 - 11 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

£5700....get them down to £5250,,, and its a nice bike Wink

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:11 - 11 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

riichy wrote:

Stop putting ideas in my head!! Wink

riichy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:12 - 11 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver wrote:
riichy wrote:

Stop putting ideas in my head!! Wink

Laughing ...it will look so good on you sir Wink

McGee
O RLY?

PostPosted: 00:48 - 12 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar colours to my bike sexy too Wink

And for that price buy it Wink

Ooo suits you sir Wink

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch

PostPosted: 04:56 - 12 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drummer wrote:
flame coloured downpipes. that's different

which also means it's been ragged...tut tut silver Razz

awesome looking bike and fantastic review, if i was so shit scared of litres i'd have one, go on, get rid of the 750 and get it, you know you want to Wink

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:15 - 12 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see at least one other understands my dislike for twins, even if not quite so evangelical about it Wink.

Andy C
Tree Seeking Missile

PostPosted: 11:24 - 12 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Glad to see at least one other understands my dislike for twins, even if not quite so evangelical about it Wink.

You dont like V-twins G Surprised im shocked Wink lol

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:26 - 12 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been having to bite my tounge a bit, posting in the SV forum Smile.

Andy C
Tree Seeking Missile

PostPosted: 11:28 - 12 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
I have been having to bite my tounge a bit, posting in the SV forum Smile.

Yea i thought it was strange you were posting about rearsets, couldnt have been another G from reading!

you thinking of getting another for racing?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:33 - 12 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noooo, I'm thinking about getting one for the road.
There's an ad in their wanted section.

I already have two for racing - the second one I got for road use, but decided it was too nice to use on the road so kept it as a second race bike. (Then promptly crashed it at Brands Confused - but it was definitely useful to have a spare then Smile ).

I was asking about rearsets because I had arranged to go and view one that was missing them - but it sold to someone else an hour or so before I left Rolling Eyes.

Andy C
Tree Seeking Missile

PostPosted: 11:44 - 12 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

fair enough, why you getting one for road, what made you want one (it defernetly wasnt the engine Laughing )

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:49 - 12 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because I've got a TRX850 which is very similar, so it'd make sense to be riding the same bike that I'm racing - partly for even more spares.

I'm not /so/ bothered by a 'fun' bike as this is a get to work bike. I was originaly looking at a CB350, but when I was advised not to get one of those I got the TRX850 instead - so I wasn't looking at superfast bike.

Though, I have quite grown to the TRX power deliver, although it is a lot more revvy than most twins!

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:13 - 12 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

quacker_boy wrote:
which also means it's been ragged...tut tut silver Razz

Shocked

Whistle

Angelic

Visitor Q
$25 whore

PostPosted: 14:18 - 12 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strag has either a k4 or k5... jealous i am... jealous Evil or Very Mad
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 80 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1