Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Why I Love Supermoto's

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell
View previous topic : View next topic  

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:32 - 11 Feb 2006    Post subject: Why I Love Supermoto's Reply with quote

Had my first off after six years today. Just a sub 30mph slide around a roundabout due to having road mank on my tyres from last week...

The bike;
https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/image002_116.jpg

The roundabout;
https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/weeeeeeeeee.jpg

The 'damage';

From what I remember I was hanging on like my life depended on it.. Shame really, as it's the only real damage to the bike and it's on the non-scrape ....
https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/passbutton.jpg

Big up hein gericke Thumbs Up . Only the outer thin layer damaged and nothing wrong with my knees.
https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/hooles.jpg

Pegs took the bulk of it. A bit of work and they're be good as new, pillion ones a wee bit scraped.
https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/damagetwo.jpg
https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/damageone.jpg

A bit of material loss on the Renthals and the brake lever, but nothing is bent.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/damagethree.jpg

This is why i always recommend trail bikes for learners. You can throw them, pick it up and ride off with no worries. The only problem i had on the way home was not having a pass light, and wonky steering which was sorted out in 5 minutes with an Allen key and a wiggle. The indicator lens popped back on and they're hardly touched.

Karma to the car driver following me who got out and said "umm, your indicators went that way and that way"

Middle Finger to the BMW F650GS rider who buzzed past as i had the bike propped against a lamp post while searching for my pass button.

Try throwing your sports bike down the road and coming out with >£30 damage for things that don't really need replacing.

The main things I want to get across is that I thought I was invincible after 6 years. I wasn't, I messed up but got away rather lightly AND i was only going for a blat down the road and this happened on a roundabout that i've been across thousands of times.

Very Happy

Villers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:45 - 11 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one mate, good to see that you can take it all in your stride!

As far as the damage goes I would call that a 'free wake up call' - it can happen to any of us!

Glad you and the moto are ok Thumbs Up enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Wink

Andy C
Tree Seeking Missile

PostPosted: 21:40 - 11 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like the take that you put on this thread, i do agree, i had a RS125 and binned it low speed and if it was a DT125r that i was going to get would have come out much better (the bike i mean!!)

Least you feel ok about it Thumbs Up

Method
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:52 - 12 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a lot of drops on my first bike - Gilera GSM 50 Supermotard.

So i agree with this thread, the only damage that bike ever took was a bit of a bent foot peg, mini scratches on the rear plastics, and a snapped clutch lever (which incidently was when i droppped it against the garage door) Laughing

One little spill on the GS500 and i have scratched engine casings, bent foot pegs, scratched bar ends, destroyed bikini fairing (Cracked and scratched), supprisingly just a scratched clutch lever - not snapped somehow. And a bit of a wobbly gear lever.

Definately Supermoto's for a learner bike Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

McGee
O RLY?

PostPosted: 14:26 - 12 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is a nice looking bike Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

riichy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:39 - 12 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

very well, i do agree,,with you but.

sports bikes tend to slide on there fairings, where as some supermotos grip the road and bits get snapped...everyone to there own i say... Thumbs Up

Wave2k
G's Stalker

PostPosted: 14:43 - 12 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

that makes me feel ill, that would have cost about £700 on a sports bike Neutral
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:56 - 12 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanted to go out today, but the rain put me off. I was eager to push the bike to its limits. Now I’ve fallen I’m not really scared of doing another bum shuffle. It’s like a hurdle has been crossed and I’m not that bothered about sliding out while playing on roundabouts.

However, I know that a curb or a car will do some damage…..

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 15:58 - 12 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

wave2k wrote:
that makes me feel ill, that would have cost about £700 on a sports bike Neutral

Did the same on my zx6.
Cost me £35 for a new footpeg hanger.

When I crashed my DR at similar speeds I bent the bars and the footpeg, which cost me more Smile.

GearboxGeezer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:23 - 12 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, 6 years without a crash is pretty good, glad you got off lightly with this crash, Its always good to have a little off to remind you that its still easy to do.

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 17:41 - 24 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're never quite complete until you've got a picture of a local roundabout with scrape marks left on the ground from your bike.

https://www.gaz-racing.co.uk/images/XJ/Full/DSCI0124(Small).jpg

The ambulance is a nice touch I think.

Gaz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

palmer
Fiddled Kiddy

PostPosted: 18:57 - 24 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i never got a pciture of my scrape marks Sad

was quite a distance though i think.

tokarev
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:11 - 24 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing as everyone is doing it, here is my scrapes;

https://img508.imageshack.us/img508/4493/roundaboutscrapes2gj.jpg

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 19:21 - 24 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gah, I may have started a trend, maybe this should occupy a new thread.

Shame I'm too lazy to make it.

Gaz
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 67 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1