Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Giving up the herb?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

akaDAVE
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:52 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Giving up the herb? Reply with quote

I've been a dedicated smoker of weed for about 9 years now. I have had the odd month or so off for job interviews/presentations/exams etc but have otherwise been a pretty consistent stoner.
Since running out of gear about a month ago I have avoided stocking up again. I admit I do feel better for it - less confused and generally sharper and more relaxed. I had a week off at christmas when I went on holiday and made me realise I might be better off without it. It's only after having a break that I notice the difference in my state of mind and behaviour. I haven't made a concious decision to 'quit' but it looks like I'm going that way now. I almost feel a sense of disloyalty about it after so long.
I gave up smoking tobacco over a year ago which was a huge effort. The weed is totally different, it really isn't addictive in the same way. It's more of a habitual thing which once broken is forgotten about. After stopping, I would maybe suffer one night of disturbed sleep, a few crazy dreams and then that would be it, no cravings. Even with weed lying around I wouldn't feel the urge
It was only this morning when I opened a cupboard in the kitchen and saw my bong there that I thought 'bloody hell, I had forgotten I had that!'
I would ideally just smoke on weekends so I am sharper during the week but I seem to either smoke all the time or not at all.
just about all of my mates don't really smoke it anymore but I've always done my own thing, i don't drink as much as them.
Has anyone else given up after a long time and what was your motivation?
I guess I'm looking for reasons to keep it up.

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 12:01 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Re: Giving up the herb? Reply with quote

akaDAVE wrote:
Has anyone else given up after a long time and what was your motivation?

Sounds all too familiar mate, been a stoner for…..(shite just counted) 7 years!
A lot of my mates smoke it though, they come over the flat and it seems to be the done thing, get kained and go to bed quite often in the week.

You do feel slower, less co-ordinated than completely sober, but the other effects are the ones that I enjoy. It’s a strange old drug which to me has always been easier for me to handle then the drink, I can’t drink as much as I used to and mixing the two is a big no no.
I’d like to give up, I would defiantly feel more on the ball as a whole and possibly achieve/get a lot more done, as I have been dedicated to it and have ‘that’ sense of loyalty about it I have no idea how I should quit.
I wouldn’t quit while I was enjoying it though, I tried that with the fags and it didn’t work, the time has to be right.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
HerbalDayZ This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

strawberry
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:37 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Re: Giving up the herb? Reply with quote

akaDAVE wrote:
I admit I do feel better for it - less confused and generally sharper and more relaxed. I had a week off at christmas when I went on holiday and made me realise I might be better off without it. It's only after having a break that I notice the difference in my state of mind and behaviour. I haven't made a concious decision to 'quit' but it looks like I'm going that way now. I almost feel a sense of disloyalty about it after so long.

[...]

From your own post it seems the only reason to keep it up is to avoid feeling disloyal? It may well have been a good thing to have in your life but people do change. You say you feel better for not smoking it therefore I'd say that should outweigh any sense of disloyalty. There may at some point be a time when you can just have some at weekends (I know I can now just have the odd drink of alcohol here and there now after years of drinking oodles) but for now just listen to your body. It seems to have made the choice that it doesn't want it right now as you state it wasn't a concious decision.

Sorry for the lack of reasons to keep it up but there didn't seem much indication of many from your post Razz

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 12:41 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I just say now that if you have something really shitty to say about examples Herbal gave, don’t bother, it’s not nice…..
I know what you mean herbal, if you enjoy it that much though, as I said, no point taking such a step right now.
Your still young, depends what you want and need out of life.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
HerbalDayZ This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Andy C
Tree Seeking Missile

PostPosted: 12:53 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used to smoke a lot and the idea of giving it up seems not good as i enjoyed it. However when i did have a break (i just decided to one day) i felt so much more awake and aware of everything going on.

dont smoke anymore as dont see the point, the money saved means more bike stuff!!

craigie b
Citizen Smith

PostPosted: 12:56 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave up pot after 10 odd years. Whilst at Uni I sold the stuff and had an endless supply then when I moved to York the price fell and it became rock bottom to buy so I ended up smoking about 15 joints a day with my girl. In the end it started to make paranoid and stressed (only when I was stoned though). In reflection I believe when they say pot causes mental issues because the paranoia it caused was just ridiculous and very nearly terrifying.

I only tok it now when on a bit of billy and even that is basically never.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 13:02 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Herbal, the binging people are doing with drink destroys them in a less than noticeable way, fags are terrible for damage to. Cannabis has been proved to cause short term memory loss, but I know people as forgetful as I am and they don’t take anything at all.

The paranoia as I see it is there all the time, how that effects the individual is the big unknown, scientist cant accurately tell how much it effects each of us and therapists think they know everything. I bet you know people who seem completely fine on the stuff, can perform loads of tasks and can go outside and do what’s needed without a care, that’s not all to do with you physically, its how you handle it yourself.
Simply put, what I mean is when you think you are not being effected you are, but only as much as you let it and don’t let anyone who doesn’t smoke it tell you other wise.
It’s a bit like non bikers telling you how to lean. Rolling Eyes

TBH with you, I’ve never fitted, no one I know has, do you smoke it too quick or something?lol
In the past I’ve duct taped two coke bottles together to make a bucket, scraped and smoked resin from a socket in tin foil and in my later years went all out with a water dispenser bottle (18.5) bucket. Now I just have a little pipe of spliff.

craigie b
Citizen Smith

PostPosted: 13:06 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its just the way it is...some people are fine and others aren't. I was dissapointed to give it up as I enjoyed the whole ceremony of skinning up with others but I really hated the paranoia that being stoned induced so it wasn't difficult to do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

innominate
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:07 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just give it up for a bit.

Makes it better when you come back to it anyway.

Don't smoke anything at all fro a few weeks, then get in teh best Skunk you can get and have a couple of spliffs. You will enjoy it.

No need to smoke everyday, unless you really want to.
Also no point completely giving it up, as a bit now and then won't harm you (considering its not killed you off yet anyway)

I got some a couple of days ago. Had been dry for 4 weeks befroe that. Didnt miss it. But great to be back with my freind, the green.
I, as a responsible adult human being, will never concede the power to anyone to regulate my choice of what I put into my body, or where I go with my mind. From the skin inwards is my jurisdiction, is it not? I choose what may or may not cross that border. Here I am the customs agent. I am the coast-guard. I am the sole legal and spiritual government of this territory, and only the laws I choose to enact within myself are applicable.

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 13:43 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly I’m at work and the only thing I can taste is the remains of a gram I sorted last night.

Amsterdam would be good......

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 13:46 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Re: Giving up the herb? Reply with quote

killa wrote:

A lot of my mates smoke it though, they come over the flat and it seems to be the done thing, get kained and go to bed.

You might want to rephrase this.

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 13:47 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

That was funny……

Embarassed

Fuckers Very Happy Middle Finger

innominate
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:56 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

HerbalDayZ wrote:
He also makes oil from weed by using gas.put couple of oz into a tube then using bottle of gass its compressed so the gas removes the oil from the weed then the gas will evaporate leaving pure oils.

YES

this is comedy, you can make class A's in your own back yard.

Strong as fook, seems to lose potence over a few days though.
So its make it , smoke it, wha..!!!
I, as a responsible adult human being, will never concede the power to anyone to regulate my choice of what I put into my body, or where I go with my mind. From the skin inwards is my jurisdiction, is it not? I choose what may or may not cross that border. Here I am the customs agent. I am the coast-guard. I am the sole legal and spiritual government of this territory, and only the laws I choose to enact within myself are applicable.

Dom_
Points Mean Prizes

PostPosted: 14:05 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you've been off it for a month or so, tell me if you've put on any weight. Everyone i know that stopped doing it gained a beer belly as soon as they quit (even though they drank the same.)

akaDAVE
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:26 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'll just give it a break for a while but not take 'giving up' so seriously.
I think I've associated it with giving up smoking ciggies so have started keeping a personal score of 'weeks without' which is a motivation to stay off. Suddenly I realised it had been 3 weeks and thought, shit I have to keep this up now and put pressure on myself.

It's never caused me a direct problem apart from poor memory but I have learnt to work around that. That's what post-it notes are for.
It's not at all a financial burden. Recently I would buy it relatively expensively from a 'cafe' in my home town. I'd buy two £10 bags which would last me a month - as much as one night in a pub. It goes a long way in bongs.
I've even thought to be totally healthy I should only eat it, but after my last experiment with the jane asher cookie mix followed by a trip to the driving range I would rather not risk it again!

What I'll do is not see this as giving up but a couple of months off would be a good idea to shake off the habit and wake up a bit.
I'll then go back to enjoying it for occasional fun rather than as a daily routine. It was getting to the point where it was taking over so it's time to reset the balance.

I'm suprised that some of the above have had such problems when giving up. Sounds like you're suffering from some kid of panic attack and should see a doctor for it. It's definately time to get away from weed when it starts to own you.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:47 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to smoke a lot.

These days it's usually around couple a night.

I have for a long time before I started smoking found I have problems getting to sleep, the weed helps a lot.

I try and leave it around 2 hours between my last spliff and the point I'm going to sleep. This way I don't really feel groggy in the morning.
Leave it longer than that and the effects making me sleep better have worn off a bit, shorter and I'm still a bit groggy in the morning.

I very rarely get really stoned, just a pleasent chilled.

If I was happier about other things in my life I could fairly give it up I suspect - when I'm happier I can usually sleep better anyway.

headlamp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:48 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a 'dedicated' smoker of the stuff for 25 years. I gave up 2 years ago and now don't miss it in the slightest. I started when I was 18 and through my teens, 20's & most of my 30's smoked a lot!!

I gave up (by cutting down & eventually stopping) because I felt it 'was the right thing to do'. At first I missed it but after a while all desire/urges/cravings just diminish. I noticed that when I went to bed stoned, just as I was falling asleep I'd get a sort of popping/explosion in my head - that wasn't pleasant. I also fel it affected my judgement on important matters. It definitely affected my short term memory, which thankfully has improved considerably since giving up.

I used to smoke all sorts, but really hated skunk - total mind f*ck. The best was sensimellia, a different sort of buzz, red leb was nice & mellow and for the weekend temple balls or fresh Morrocan black. Would I advocate smoking weed? Yes - of course - it kind of opens the mind, puts things in perspective, heightens awareness etc. I'm not sure about skunk though - it's like being hit on the forehead with a mallet, which overides the benefits. It seems to be whats prevalent these days & I'm sure its strength does a lot of harm.

Anyway Dave, if you feel that giving up is the right thing to do now then it is the right decision to take - if you have moments of weakness, pangs of desire for a joint - I still (very occasionally) get them - just think about something else they soon pass!

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:52 - 18 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some thoughts (in no particular order):

How many people who are 'addicted' to weed are actually addicted to nicotine and don't realise it. You think "I want something, I'll have a joint." and the craving goes away. The point being, your body wasn't telling you it wanted the THC, it wanted the nicotine in the tobacco you rolled with. Happened to a couple of my mates. One of them now smokes cigarettes as a result, the other kicked it, rolls with leaf in place of tobacco and smokes many fewer joints as a result. Incidentally, that is why I started smoking tobacco at the age of 19.

I can take dope or leave it. Probably smoke socially up to a couple of times a month. I don't need to smoke all that much and the stuff I do have lasts me a long time. I will sometimes go to a party and roll one to pass round but not partake myself (especially if they are rolling up 'cooking' soap bar Sick ).

Skunk, What's the point? You just get stoned off your nut and pass out. I have some primo skunk that I got off a friend and hardly use it. Last time I passed round a pipeful we landed up with six people lying round a campfire tripping off their nuts. Hardly sociable. Some of the more traditional forms like old fashioned 'sticky' resin or just plain leaf lets you chill out and sit round talking shite all night rather than BANG! "Goodnight Vienna".

Because I don't smoke all that much, I definately notice you are 'slow' for a couple of days after partaking.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 74 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2