BCF: Bike Chat Forums

project MINJA track weapon

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Bullet
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:36 - 17 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

well time for another update, had a change of plans with the front end and the gixxer brakes and the k model forks are going... to be replaced with this!

https://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f185/lsjbagpuss/DSCF0294.jpg

at least they will do when i get a replacement (non Q plate) frame, did buy one but when it got here it was preety damaged, with a large badly filled dent so returning it for a refund

https://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f185/lsjbagpuss/DSCF0296.jpg

you can clearly see the filler, goes from the top of the rail where theres also a big crack all the way to the engine mount!

decided to start making a few undertrays aswell as you cant buy them for this model in the uk, had to import mine from france. few more hours work on the plug i made from the origonal and i can laminate up new ones in glass, or carbon easy enough, see if i can sell a few on ebay Very Happy

https://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f185/lsjbagpuss/DSCF0292.jpg

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:56 - 18 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those forks look very nice, the moulding of an original part is very inventive Thumbs Up

shaun_04
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:55 - 23 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like a fun project, I'm also loving the custom part idea. Thumbs Up

Also (if you don't mind me asking) your profile says you are a 24yr old architect, how much do you earn per year (approx) ? As it is something I'm considering.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:52 - 23 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

shaun_04 wrote:
Also (if you don't mind me asking) your profile says you are a 24yr old architect, how much do you earn per year (approx) ? As it is something I'm considering.

25k-30k once out of Uni, takes around 3 years after the 3 year Bsc to become and register as a qualified Architech. I was looking into it recently too, looks a cool profession Thumbs Up

_Will_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:28 - 23 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whosthedaddy wrote:
shaun_04 wrote:

25k-30k once out of Uni, takes around 3 years after the 3 year Bsc to become and register as a qualified Architech. I was looking into it recently too, looks a cool profession Thumbs Up

Architects get naff pay for artists/designers Wink
|| 1999 Cbr1100xx Blackbird ||
||| 2000 Kawasaki Zx12R ||| (|2009 Street Triple R |) // 2004 Honda Hornet Streetfighter \\|=| 2000 BMW R1100S |=| ------ My Bikepics page ------
Suffering Bike Withdrawal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Bullet
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:07 - 25 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

25-30 k if you work in london maybe...... not most places. i got just over 20 when qualified about 2 years ago with RIBA part 1 i was also from the people i actually still talk to, the second highest paid graduate off my course. not great money really Rolling Eyes

_Will_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:19 - 26 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

3d Animation/Games modeling and web design see me having a fruitfull future Wink Razz
||| 2000 Kawasaki Zx12R ||| (|2009 Street Triple R |) // 2004 Honda Hornet Streetfighter \\|=| 2000 BMW R1100S |=| ------ My Bikepics page ------
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 10:34 - 26 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Web design, haha!

The problem is there are so many spotty geek 12 year olds living at home with no overheads that have the same skills as you. Therefore unless you've got something extra to offer it's hard to have a realistic but competitive price.

Cool forks btw.

Gaz

Barry_M2
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:12 - 26 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bullit - I'm interested in finding out how you made that mould of the undertray? I'd quite like to do a bit of moulding myself with glass fiber, but don't know where to start!?

Cheers

Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jack_Cheese
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:53 - 26 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barry_MC21 wrote:
Bullit - I'm interested in finding out how you made that mould of the undertray? I'd quite like to do a bit of moulding myself with glass fiber, but don't know where to start!?

Cheers

Thumbs Up

Snap. Only thing is, i'd probably use a totally unsuitable releasing agent and get the whole lot stuck together Shocked

Bullet
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 01:48 - 27 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahh 3d animation and games modelling huh? do a bit of that on the side just for a laugh with some mates, you ever played t2x for thief? we did the cut scenes, well i say we, but actually the mates did most of it, i just helped! as to the molding of parts - living on an island ive got a fair few mates who are boat builders and asked them how to do it before i started, apparently yes you can use release agents e.t.c but theres no point when you can just use normal brown parcel tape over the object your copying and pull it off afterwards Thumbs Up i didnt have any to hand so i opted for cutting up some thin polythene (black sack! Laughing ) and spray mounting it to the undertray, you wont get a perfect mold doing this but close enough to tidy up easily when removed. obviously its easy on something like an undertray as its a simple shape, other bits of fairing would be trickeyer to do and not damage the origonal. the forks and brakes if anyones intrested are actually off a zx10r Very Happy

edit - should mention that the black sack method isnt as good as parcel tape, and will mark whatever your molding with resin, so youl have to tidy it up afterward Thumbs Up

Bullet
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:47 - 27 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

got bored at work this morning so took to some photychoppery instead......

https://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f185/lsjbagpuss/zx10r7.jpg

heres the plan, zx10r front end, and swing arm and wheels (ive checked and the 04/05 10r has the same or atleast very closely the same spacing for the swingarm pivot, so the most it will need is new spacers, and possibly the rear shock top mounting moved. and i think the swing arm suits the lines of the frame very well, got the forks allready Thumbs Up

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:04 - 27 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the idea of covering something in brown tape, cover in fibre glass and ta da a new 'carbon' copy Thumbs Up

I pressume it would work for body panels? Was thinking of having a stab at making a rear hugger Thinking by using the wheel as the template. Maybe a bit bold for a 1st go Rolling Eyes

I found that the resin mix cured really quick when I made a couple of fibre glass repairs meaning any large projects would be a pain in the bum.

Do you soak the sheets first to speed up the moulding process?

Nice photoshop by the way Thumbs Up

Then again, the ZXR will always look cool no matter what is done to it

craigs23
Mr Muscle

PostPosted: 23:31 - 27 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eeeek, false carbon just doesn't sound right to the tap.

Bike's going to look good if that Photoshopping's anything to go by.

_Will_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:12 - 28 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gazdaman wrote:
Web design, haha!

The problem is there are so many spotty geek 12 year olds living at home with no overheads that have the same skills as you. Therefore unless you've got something extra to offer it's hard to have a realistic but competitive price.

Cool forks btw.

Gaz

In a few years i'll have a B/A Extra to offer so i can charge the earth and gullible people/businesses who will hand over their dosh.
Laughing Cool

If you can get it to look like the photochop your onto a winner Thumbs Up

craigs23
Mr Muscle

PostPosted: 07:52 - 28 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In a few years i'll have a B/A Extra to offer so i can charge the earth and gullible people/businesses who will hand over their dosh.

The market's pretty competitive to say the least, especially if you opt to go freelance. If someone thinks they're being overcharged, they'll just shop somewhere else, just like any of business.

ram_doom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:15 - 28 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

636 forks bullet? Wink

Bullet
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:31 - 28 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

close but nope.... 10r forks, more appropriet spring rate and damping for the weight of the bike, probably have them sorted anyway, but il give them a try as they are 12R ones would have been the closest, but these arent too far off and easyer to get hold of Thumbs Up WTD if your making a hugger from scratch an old tyre is a good basis to start from to form the curve, you can get them from any bike shop for free as they have to pay to have old ones taken away anyway, then id tack highdensity foam blocks on to form the chain guard, these are easily shapped to whatever form you want, lastly glass over the whole thing and smooth with more resin/filler... and youve got yourself a plug. for large ares i wouldnt soak the glass, youd get covered in it! just mix it in a decent sized pot and use a nice thick paint brush to work it into the glass loose strand glass is better at forming curves than the close woven strand stuff and is easyer to work the resin into, its houldnt be going off for at least a few minutes so if its going gooy before youve finished with it, youve put too much hardener in it. but personally id just modify one from another bike, probably easyer!

cheers for the compliment craig, that was a preety rapid photoshop job just to see if the 10r bits would look at home, which i think they do. im working on a reasonably accurte cad drawing of the frame, swing arm, linkage, suspension geometry at the mo to get a better idea of how it will fit together and effect the way the bike behaves Thumbs Up

Bullet
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:20 - 03 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dance! shes got her fairing on now, looks pimp! replacment caliper bolts, clutch lever, and a new chain link and shes ready to rock around the private estate i live on.... oh how they must love me and my big collection of automotive cr@p Laughing

_Will_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:09 - 03 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pics man where are the pics Razz

Bullet
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 00:23 - 04 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

well here she is! Mr. Green

https://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f185/lsjbagpuss/minja/DSCF0027.jpg

https://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f185/lsjbagpuss/minja/DSCF0028.jpg

https://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f185/lsjbagpuss/minja/DSCF0029.jpg

https://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f185/lsjbagpuss/minja/DSCF0030.jpg

https://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f185/lsjbagpuss/minja/DSCF0031-1.jpg

https://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f185/lsjbagpuss/minja/DSCF0032.jpg

https://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f185/lsjbagpuss/minja/DSCF0033-1.jpg

ISLAND GIRL
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:42 - 04 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didnt I see your bike for sale Bullet on Wightbay, any luck yet, what you after next then ?

IG.

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch

PostPosted: 10:25 - 04 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming it's not finished yet though...you did say you were adding a 10R swinger, wheels and other bits and bobs...

Bullet
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:09 - 04 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

my bike is indeed on wightbay, and the forsale bit of here, not this one though, my other zxr, anyone want it... its lurrrvly! this one isnt anywhere near finished no, 10r front and rear ends are the eventuall plan, but not on this frame/build up. going to amass the bits required and build the rolling chassis up seperatly then strip this one down onto the modded one Thumbs Up if its gona be that trick i dont want a Q plate! and the paint on this frame is chipped here n there n looks pants Laughing this is almost together enough for the track bike purpose for which i bought it....

_Will_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:34 - 04 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Cool Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 210 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4