RGV racebike makeover

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic : View next topic  

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:17 - 31 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cat that got the cream Thumbs Up Laughing

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/two_smoke/ebay%2015th%20january/readytogo.jpg

2Smoke
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 00:25 - 31 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whosthedaddy wrote:
The cat that got the cream Thumbs Up Laughing

More, the cat who finished it earlier than the night before the race which is what usually happens every year!!

Deano
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:20 - 31 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

what mixture do you use on track mate? as you would need massive jets for pure meth. if you do have did you manage to buy bigger enough jets or drill themselve? what sort of difference have you noticed from using meth and how does your engine cope with it.

soz but I am considering setting up my bike (for the track) to run on meth and would appreciate your experience with it.

thanks dude.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

2Smoke
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 17:54 - 31 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deano wrote:
what mixture do you use on track mate? as you would need massive jets for pure meth. if you do have did you manage to buy bigger enough jets or drill themselve? what sort of difference have you noticed from using meth and how does your engine cope with it.

soz but I am considering setting up my bike (for the track) to run on meth and would appreciate your experience with it.

thanks dude.

Meth?? I use avgas, 100-110 octane. Jet according to the weather on the day, only using about 4 sizes up from standard on the main jets, 330/340 kit needle jets and a few other mods to the fuel system. i fail to see how running neat avgas would warrant larger jets, infact you can go down on the jets with avgas compared to using pump fuel. Its not a magic fuel, the bike has been set up to run it as you can get away with a tighter squish and higher compression due to the fact that avgas burns more slowly and hence its cooler. Avgas in a standard bike does zip all in terms of performance, its just means you can tune higher without running the risks of detonantion.

What bike are you using? Also bear in mind that avgas is now £1.30 a litre compared to 90p a litre of unleaded!

NC30UK
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:41 - 31 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you got modified heads on it to run avgas?

2Smoke
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:42 - 31 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, .8mm squish, straight plug heads (std the plugs come in at an angle), tz style combustion chamber. Also running an O ring instead of a head gasket Thumbs Up

Deano
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:49 - 31 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

because for optimum detaonation/burn for petrol is 1litre of petrol to 13 litres of air. methanol is something along the lines of to every litre of meth 5-8 litres of air so if you run standard jets it will run very lean.

I do understand it burns slower and the ignition has to be advanced by 6 degrees, well probably not that much as I'd imagine every engine is different.

I was thinking of running superleaded with a 30-35% nitro methane as it carries alot of oxygen and its it only needs something like 3-5 litres of air to every litre of nitro methane.

I've got a nc30 BTW so only assuming it works the same for 2 strokes.

I've read from the 4stroke performance tuning book im reading at the moment that meth can give a 10-15% increase in power but that was from cars and smaller the engine the less effect it will have. so for a 250 it mite not make a difference
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

2Smoke
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 23:03 - 31 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right we are talking 2 different fuels here then! I use Avgas, not methanol!

I have an nc30 too Smile

NC30UK
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:14 - 31 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isnt avgas just very high octance fuel?
something like 105 or 108 instead of the normal 95/97.
Takes more compression to get it burning hence the modified heads, but it gives greater power when burned.

Have you advanced the timing at all?

Overall that bike looks VERY sorted, you could win championships on a thing like that!

2Smoke
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 09:51 - 01 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

NC30UK wrote:
Isnt avgas just very high octance fuel?
something like 105 or 108 instead of the normal 95/97.
Takes more compression to get it burning hence the modified heads, but it gives greater power when burned.

Have you advanced the timing at all?

Overall that bike looks VERY sorted, you could win championships on a thing like that!

100-110 generally, the bike wont run on anything else, unleaded would kill the engine in 5 laps. Run at most a 12 degree advance with the kit ignition.

First outing today, lets see how it goes!

Andy C
Tree Seeking Missile

PostPosted: 09:54 - 01 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice, i expect lots of racing pics to be posted!!!

hes a pic resized so you can use it as avator (pic below your name)

Im at work very bored hense why i did it, im not that sad in my free time!! Razz

Keith
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:07 - 01 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely lovely project, 2smoke. Great read and love the step by step pictures. I'm in the process of finishing my Aprilia RS125 track bike, that should be sorted within the next week. Then its a case of sending away my ACU application and I'm good to go. Very Happy

Best of luck with the new season, you deserve to do well after all the effort you've put into the bike. Thumbs Up Hats off to you my friend.

2Smoke
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:47 - 03 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, well the bike survived the horrendous weather of the weekend.. some pics of it shod with the wets..
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/two_smoke/ebay%2015th%20january/afterrace3.jpg
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/two_smoke/ebay%2015th%20january/afterrace2.jpg
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/two_smoke/ebay%2015th%20january/afterrace1.jpg

roll on the next race meeting Smile

cc123
Geez a joab?

PostPosted: 19:10 - 05 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a lovely bike mate, excellent work Thumbs Up

2Smoke
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:40 - 07 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! It will probably end up getting cartwheeled down a racetrack soon and I will start all over.. Rolling Eyes but hey thats the fun of racing.. Very Happy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 24 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4