Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Buying a used GS500

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Dot_Comm
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 22 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:37 - 01 Mar 2006    Post subject: Buying a used GS500 Reply with quote

Hi all,

Hmmmm, not quite sure where I should put this, so I'll stick it here. I'm looking for a first bike, having passed my test but still riding my Peugeot Speedfight 100 (love it but yearning for a gearbox!). I've been looking at the Suzuki GS 500, seems quite nice for me as a first bike.

I've spotted this particular one, a 52 reg, which is apparently a cat D write off (Category D - Repairable. Probably non-structural damage. May have been economic to repair, but insurer doesn't want to). Also it's done 20,000 miles (so I'm assuming ex- courier). It'll set me back a grand, which imo isn't too bad if it doesn't need too much doing to it (gonna phone the seller tomorrow and find out what needs doing).

What should I look for when buying a used GS 500? Can anyone offer me any tips? In particular, since this one has been down the road, what should I be looking for if I decide to go and view it?

Thanks for any help you can offer me guys, it's all much appreciated. Help me get a gearbox!

Rach
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

DanceLikeAMon...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:05 - 01 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, if it's your first "big bike" I wouldn't spend that much money on a GS. They are fine for messing around on, but you'll soon find that you want more power.

The main problem I have had with mine are electrics (I've had to replace the regulator twice in 6 months!) but his might not be such a problem on a newer bike.

My GS cost me £900 on eBay (although I spent about £400 keeping it on the road for the last year Mad ), and I feel myself getting more and more bored with each passing day. Being a skinflint I am going to wait until next year before I buy something better.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dot_Comm
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 22 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:31 - 01 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a student currently on placement. I've got a bit of cash this year, so I want to replace my scooter if I can. Then for the next 2 years (at least, while I'm still a student) I'll keep this bike. It's my only transport (I can drive but I hate driving so I won't be getting a car). I don't want a crotch rocket. I don't want anything too powerful, or too big (I'm female so I'm limited on bikes where I can touch the ground!). Plus it'll have to be restricted until September anyway, since I can currently only ride something that's 33bhp or less.

Personally I feel that a GS500 (or similar, ER-5, CB500 etc) is the perfect bike for me right now. Cheap to run, cheap to insure, much more power than my scooter, and a gearbox.

Unfortunately, I received an email from the seller of the cat D motorcycle who claims there isn't anything wrong with the bike. So now I don't trust him as far as I can throw him (and as I said, I'm female, I throw like a girl). I might still take a look at it so I can compare it to others I see, but I doubt I'll be parting with my grand.

Thanks for your input tho, I'll take it into consideration.

Rach
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

BWW
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 26 Feb 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:02 - 01 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GS500 is on my shortlist for my next bike although I've been recommended a couple of others, particularly a BANDIT GSF600, which is growing on me.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Zimbo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:40 - 01 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

For your grand you should be able to get a good one that needs nothing fixing.
The ER5 and CB500 are both a bit more modern mechanically (though the GS is pretty bulletproof) and the CB500 would make a really good choice as they're relatively fast, pretty reliable, and withstand the ravages of winter better than most.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mark_petty
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 01 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:55 - 02 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mate Thumbs Up

To be honest mate I wouldn't touch that bike. For a start if you ever want to sell it u will have problems, secondly i'm sure insurers will know that its a CAT D so it may need further inspections Question and thirdly its fairly high miles for the age so its quite expensive imo.
I was browsing bike trader and think I found the CAT D one, if you look at the X reg one below it, I think its a much better buy (depending on mileage):

https://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/WWW/bikes_search.asp?modelexact=1&make=SUZUKI&model=GS&ccappr=500&min_pr=75&max_pr=&mileage=&agerange=&postcode=bh8+8jn&miles=200&max_records=50&source=0&keywords=&photo=1&sort=3&search=SEARCH

Even the 2nd one from the bottom (red one) looks good Thumbs Up only 15k miles and you may be able to get some sort of warranty and trade your scooter in.
____________________
[Rides: Suzuki GSF600sx]
[CBT: Passed] [Theory: Passed] [DAS: Passed]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dot_Comm
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 22 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:40 - 03 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm there's a few on there that I hadn't seen before. Yeah that's the cat D one, I'm not so keen either since the seller has told me there's nothing wrong with it.

I'm now rather tempted by this one, already restricted and looks a beauty. And it's coming from a dealer which I'd prefer to a private sale. Anybody got anything to say on CB500s?

The X reg GS seems nice, but I'd like something that's quite close to me as well (currently Birmingham area). So 120 miles is a bit too far away really.

Cheers for the input tho, you've all been a great help Smile

Rach
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 215 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 1.16 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 55.92 Kb