Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

1000 miles in a day challenge

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

yambabe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:58 - 02 Mar 2006    Post subject: 1000 miles in a day challenge Reply with quote

A friend of mine on another forum is looking into organising a 1000-miles-in-24-hours challenge, possibly this year but more likely next year.

Anybody here be up to it as I am happy to pass on details?

RickHolt
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:07 - 02 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested. Any idea where the challenge would be to ride to and from?

Rick.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 14:13 - 02 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting idea. Will it be point A to Point B kind of thing or just going round a set course?

FWIW the Land's End - John O'Groats run is often done inside 24 hours, but that's only around 850 miles (ballpark, depending on route).

Would like more route details and date(s) before I can commit to something like this.

Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

yambabe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:52 - 02 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is about as much as I know at the moment:

Quote:
I thought of organising it to start at 6 on a Friday morning and then having a party / prize giving on the Saturday for people who return within the 24 hours and the organisers. Obviously it would mean motorways or major A roads to keep the speed up neccesary to cover the distance. I thought that, if it were to be held annually or bi-annually, there would be a different starting point each year. It would be held around June to take advantage of the long evenings and the relative warmth.

Keen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:14 - 02 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

no offense intended, I guess its still at the initial stages, but it doesn't sound very well thought through yet.

24 hours, 1000 miles- thats not gonna present any time problems. Thats like 40 miles an hour, ton up motorway crusing you'll be done in half time. So will it include good roads? interesting stops?

To be fair, most I ever did in a day was 500ish, and that was knackering so I'm not saying it wouldn't be hard.

Nath
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:01 - 02 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Factoring in breaks, you'd want to keep up an average speed of 50mph. On a motorway that's ridiculously easy, but on normal single lane roads it would be quite difficult I should imagine.

If you didn't include any motorway sections, it would be a pretty good challenge, however you'd need to be breaking the speed limit a lot in NSL sections in order to keep your average speed up.

Perhaps the way to do it would be to have no set route, but several 'check points' which you have to go to (like in cross country running). You could use famous landmarks as the checkpoints (eg Castles, monuments, geographic features) to give the event more of a theme. People could then use Motorways if they want, but those who fancy more of a challenge could choose to use smaller roads. If lots of people took part, you could have it so the checkpoints needn't be visited in a specific order (apart from the start/finish), so there would be more diversity in route/strategy.

Black Knight
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:36 - 02 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

She forgot to mention you have to do it on one wheel. Laughing
Where does a turn end? 'Where you can do anything with the gas you want to, where you are brave again, where your attention is free from the turn, where you are sure you can do it better next time; that's the end' - Keith Code.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 17:56 - 02 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nath wrote:
...no set route, but several 'check points' which you have to go to...

Was thinking that myself. Maybe have to take a photo of a landmark to prove visited if not having marshalls. I think most digital cameras can give date and time stamp.

However, don't want to make a 'cannonball run' out of it as that'd attract unwelcome attendion from the police. Do it for a good cause and the police may actually support it.

Just some thoughts Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

andyshing
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:13 - 02 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had droved from Ohio to Florida in 24 hrs in a car, cover 1200 miles and driving a little over speed limit .Laughing With gas stops and meals. So it should not be too hard even on motorcycle as long as you get enough rest before the ride. Cool

FreshAL
Sir Crashalot

PostPosted: 18:26 - 02 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

careful - check your insurance details.

I know mine (eBike) excludes "Trails, rallies and racing" - would be a bugger to crash and then have your ins. co. weasel out of paying

Wave2k
G's Stalker

PostPosted: 19:58 - 02 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i done loch ness to croydon south london in about 10 hours Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

pjb120
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:34 - 06 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, a landmark race would probably be better - getting a photo of you in front of the landmark holding the days newspaper should serve well as a 'stamp' You could also clock the milage before + after the 'race' just to make sure they haven cheated aswell (i.e. gone by car/ boat/ helicopter!)

Make sure the landmarks are spaced so that you will need to do approximately 1000 miles to see them all, then a simple time race - fastest time wins.

You can use whatever strategy you want - i.e. motorways, A roads etc. Id be up for doing something like that in June - would be fun! Very Happy

However, might not win favour with some people (i.e. a 'race'), so maybe better to take the 'race' bit out of it (i.e. everyone who can complete it, regardless of time wins)

0ni
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:41 - 09 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buying something with the reciept to prove it at a certain place i.e. a service station would also work.

aqualung1
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:44 - 11 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

the americans classify these as ironbutt runs and there are some websites for these

i would think accross europe would be easier than UK as our roads are not so condusive to a reasonable rate

especially with all the speed cameras etc
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:48 - 27 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that much of a challenge.

Did a 1000 mile run from Spain to Belgium once, very quickly, when we miss understood the ferry times.

I averaged about 125mph.

Method
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:45 - 27 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realy like the idea of a checkpoint style race, especially with the mugshot and stamps at landmarks..

If this is the direction that it takes then i would be well up for this, if for nothing else than to see some cool places i aint been before realy Thumbs Up

However i think a simple "Can you do 1000miles" would be a bit boring and not very worthwhile at the end of it...

natv4
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:50 - 27 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it sounds like a fair enough challenge. Roads make the biggest difference to time. I have done 850 mile in a day, but it does mean you don't get time to enjoy the scenery.

To put it in perspective though, driving at 60mph, it would take you 16 hrs 40mins. If it was through scotland, then you would certainly take a lot longer towards the end. Try sending people from lands end to John O'groats via dover. That would probably ensure the distance. Though Scotland would be scarry at night after a long days ride (as would parts of cornwall).

Just get people to take a photo outside a land mark with a piece of paper displaying a particular word. The word could be chosen at the race start. Easy verification.

It does sound like fun, but be careful. Driving whilst really tired is an easy way to hurt yourself.

Method
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:03 - 27 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this kind of thing legal?

Ive just had a thought of a big gathering of bikes, doing the same route, in a kind of Race-Esque manor, on public roads...

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 01:33 - 01 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think it should be classed as a race otherwise you will get people like me who will max it out on the motorway which is dangerous. Laughing

natv4
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 09:02 - 03 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

So long as its a rally, not a race, then its legal. May day bike run?

Method
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:13 - 03 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point, thatll do.

Yeah i'd be definately up for a checkpoint rally! Cupa tea and a medal for those who make it back before sundown Laughing

_Will_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:48 - 03 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

a john o groats via inverness and edingburgh down the east coast to lands end should clock near 1000 i kno that the scenic route through loch ness and glasgow is about 900 and drving round the scottish countryside is awesome but keeping your average up isnt easy when not on motorways, roadworks-traffic and stopping takes massive chunks outa it, i want to do the same thing but was planning on the 875 route but the 1000 route sounds more impressive, when u thinkin of doing it?

Pludog
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:17 - 03 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn I wana go to... but I live in Denmark Crying or Very sad
from end to end the country is only about 300 miles. Rolling Eyes

Pludog
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:18 - 03 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn I wana go to... but I live in Denmark Crying or Very sad
from end to end the country is only about 300 miles. Rolling Eyes

Nath
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:01 - 03 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but it's over 2000 miles up to the Nordkapp. Twisted Evil
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 332 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2