Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Anyone know what materal the glue in glue guns is??

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

Andy C
Tree Seeking Missile

PostPosted: 20:51 - 06 Mar 2006    Post subject: Anyone know what materal the glue in glue guns is?? Reply with quote

Well, for my Physics (A2) i have just finish my 2nd (ish) draft on factors affecting glue gun bonds such as material, surface area, tempreture, distance from bond (sheering force only)

Well i have done 12 pages of font 12 writing (4910 words Shocked ) but need to know the mateal that the glue is as cant find it anywhere!!

Any help will get my personal karma from me Cool

if you really want i can send you it as a reward to pick hole in but really quite boring!!

this is the sort of thing, if its close enough it will be fine, hope someone can help!

https://www.gluegunsdirect.com/images/specs-1.pdf

daz|n00by
The Internet

PostPosted: 21:37 - 06 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean in hot glue guns?
if so then this is about all i can dig up quickly...

Thermoplastic polymers, plastics which become liquid when heated and re-solidify when cooled, are used as a basis for hot melt glue for their strength and high viscosity. These materials are often not ideal adhesives, however, so other materials such as waxes, stabilizers, and tackifiers are added to fine-tune the adhesive for a specific application.

Maybe you can break some of that down and find out more info on each item used.

Andy C
Tree Seeking Missile

PostPosted: 21:42 - 06 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea that will be good enough, yea hot melt glue gun applied to metal when hot, cooled and then test tensionor sheering force need to break it. Got very boring and never though 12 pages was possible but hey, it is!!

Cheers Das Thumbs Up

daz|n00by
The Internet

PostPosted: 22:27 - 06 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

found this little snippet aswell m8..

Most of the white hot-melt adhesive sticks for home use are the amorphous
(atactic) polypropylene variety. they are usually
translucent white and waxy feeling. The "stickiness" is obtained by the
addition of chemical "tackfiers". Once molten, the polypropylene become
fairly tacky by itself, but additions are generally made to improve its
sticking properties. Other things like fillers and antioxidants like
Vitamin E are also added.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:38 - 07 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try keywords: "polyamide adhesive" .

Hot glue used to be made of molten animal hooves (or 'horse glue') which is collagen and keratin, but I don't think they use that any more.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 94 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1