Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Artists = idiots

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

WR450_geezer
Nobody likes me

PostPosted: 20:25 - 19 Mar 2006    Post subject: Artists = idiots Reply with quote

An artist's plan to leave six taps running for a year at secret London locations has angered Thames Water.

Performance artist Mark McGowan says it is a protest against private control of water in the UK.

The water company has threatened legal action to stop the "irresponsible" stunt which comes during a prolonged drought in southern England.

Last year McGowan left a tap running in a south London gallery, but bowed to pressure to turn it off after a month.

That stunt used 800,000 litres of water, and angered many Thames Water customers and gallery visitors - some of whom turned off the tap themselves.

This time he intends to keep the taps running at secret London addresses, sending an estimated 100 million litres down the drain.

Pull the plug

McGowan said that private water companies made a profit while wasting billions of gallons of water a year through under-investment.

"I understand we are in a drought. But I am an artist so I'm not actually wasting water for nothing."

A Thames Water spokesman said the company planned to take immediate legal action once it knew where the taps had been left running.

Pointing out that London and the South East get less rain per head of population than Istanbul and Dallas, he said: "For the sake of the environment we call on Mr McGowan to abandon this childish game now."

McGowan has previously made a name for himself by rolling a monkey nut across London with his nose to highlight student debt, and pulling a bus with his big toe in protest against bus lanes and mayor Ken Livingstone's "ridiculous traffic strategy"

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/4822418.stm

WR Rolling Eyes

it really is that quick
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:00 - 19 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

technical he'd be breaking the water regulations if he were to do this:

using water for commercial gain requires a meter to be fitted and he would be charged at a commercial tariff (fu(king expensive)

plus their is also a penalty for misuse and wastage of water.

really anal i know, but hey when you know these things it good share them Wink

rob

i dont look like your average hortifuckingculturist
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:06 - 19 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why he doesn't just set up a pump type system where it looks like its going down the plug hole but goes into a storage tank where it is pumped back out of the tap , with a faux pas water meter next to it pretending it using that much it'd probably get a similar reaction but be much less harmful to the environment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

phantomtek
Lil Joe Tek

PostPosted: 21:34 - 19 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an absolute fanny. Rolling Eyes

Visitor Q
$25 whore

PostPosted: 21:41 - 19 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
I don't know why he doesn't just set up a pump type system where it looks like its going down the plug hole but goes into a storage tank where it is pumped back out of the tap , with a faux pas water meter next to it pretending it using that much it'd probably get a similar reaction but be much less harmful to the environment.

Because hes a retarded modern/performance artist.

Funnily enough i answered (read ranted) at a friends blog about the sick art.

I believe they are covering up their lack of artistic talent purely by going for shock and the ability to bullshit an arty sounding reason to whatever tripe they've wheeled out so they can be famous.

Hell my answer;

Quote:
Its because modern art is inherently practised by talentless blaggers.

And the best way to get noticed is to shock people.

Purely for that reason and that reason alone.

Either make it as pointless and amazingly easy as possible (cough tracy emin cough) to cause a debate over what constitutes art, in which mordern art twats always manage to stalemate with lines such as 'form purely confuses the mind, a blank colour expresses everything' or such.

Personally i dont think its art if i could do it myself VERY easily.

Do a google for Jes Goodwin, king among the nerd artists. But the man has serious serious skill. Tracy emin is just good at bullshitting grandious reasons why her 'work' is art.

I even proved it earlier.

Take a bowl of fruit, spread it on a table, drape a dishcloth over it, stab an apple through the dishcloth with a knife.

Thats not art its a mess.

Now say 'this shows through the expression of both visual forms and clashing colours the diversity of life in a microcosmal and symbolic form, and the knife shows hows we are all exquisitely mortal.'

Now im an Artist.... I think not.

I mean christ, Klein (i had this argument with my sister, funnily it always boils down to... you just dont get it *storms off*) got famous for mixing up a pretty shade of blue paint, and painting canvases with it.

Not art.

Explained it as 'Form gets in the way of expression, by just using colour to express the pure emotion nothing is lost upon the observer' or such tripe (it was something very similar) it becomes art.

Modern Art allows reminds me of when Homer becomes a guru of modern art by trashing a BBQ and it gets spotted by an art collector...

Really angers me when i see more artistic talent in a class of GCSE art students then i do in the entire TATE modern.

Dont get me wrong, i find somethings clever, like the cows cut in half etc. But its not art. People need to stop telling these self important wankers that it is.
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:51 - 19 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:

Because the actual public reaction is what he considers the 'art'. Isn't this the same guy who walked around scratching cars for art?
I can see the point he's getting across, but that doesn't mean it's not a stupid, pointless exercise. Rolling Eyes

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:52 - 19 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonny_ricardo wrote:

Dont get me wrong, i find somethings clever, like the cows cut in half etc. But its not art. People need to stop telling these self important wankers that it is.

problem is theres always some folks with far too much money usually more than sense and these people are all too willing to buy 'art' for vast vast sums of money. Didn't somebody recently sell their urine for around 40K?

WR450_geezer
Nobody likes me

PostPosted: 21:59 - 19 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twat face artist wrote:
"I understand we are in a drought. But I am an artist so I'm not actually wasting water for nothing."

This really pisses me off.

Oh I'm an artist I can do as I please. Is it alright to jusitfy the Iraq war if we call it art, because the colour clashes of burning oil wells against a blue sky is like a Van Gough painting.

WR

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:00 - 19 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were to drown him in the sink of one of these running taps, would that be Art? Or just a favour to society?

The twat probably has a bastard child called Jocasta, smokes far too much crack and still listens to the 'Cats' soundtrack every morning.

"Oh darling, it's fantastic."

Ooooh! I'm angry now! Evil or Very Mad

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 09:54 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh something I’m very interested in, purely to amuse myself, I have to say the word ‘Artist’ nowadays is a name given to any div who can make people listen/look/touch something they’ve supposedly created.
I must say that some artists I’ve seen on TV and the odd gallery have appeared to be so disillusioned by their own work you feel sorry for them in someway, the money they get from it though seems worth the bullshit.
One great example of how messed up these people are is from that Ali-G show in the US, the gay dude he does goes around various ‘arty’ circles making utter pricks of people who deem themselves as talented.
One woman was interviewed on her clothing range, “So this show is about the individual, why is that?” to which she answered with something like “This show is about the individual so I can highlight that we shouldn’t be trodden on by the society blah blah blah”
Then a little while after he asks “This show seems to be about all the people, why is that?” lol, she came up with an answer for everything, no matter how irrelevant.
I find the argument for this type of pish as moronic as the religion one, no matter what you come up with based on facts, the scene has such a following from di*k heads the world over you can’t prove anything. TBH I’d say let them get on with it as it generally doesn’t affect the majority, but when it is using resources like this I think it’s only fair we shoot him.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Fast Jon
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 10:03 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

To beat this moron's face to a pulp and leave him groaning in the gutter. Now that would be art. These talentless fucks fill me with the urge to get medieval.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 10:08 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Can see why he is not recycling the water, as a protest over the way water is wasted. That 1m litres of water wasted in a year is nothing. Thames Waters target (that they have failed to meet) for leakage is 915m litres of water per day.

The art is still rubbish though.

Years ago Charlotte worked for a company that was based in the same building as a modern art gallery. One day they put a flower vase out with some of the edges from continuous paper arranged in it. Nobody noticed for a while until someone tried to buy it Laughing .

All the best

Keith

Steve H
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:09 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno what all the fuss is about, it’s hardly gonna induce a nation of critics to ponder the significance of such an abstract form.

Let’s face it if you look at it for more than 10 seconds you’re gonna want to take a p*ss so bad that any consideration that you might have regarding the innermost meaning of the piece is gonna be lost as soon as you enter a whiffy Public urinal.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:35 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: . Reply with quote

I ignore hosepipe bans, I have 3 dogs, and a backyard. I hose it down daily for obvios hygine reasons...

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 17:06 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

this conceptual art stuff works if anyone takes an interest or reacts to it

everyone reacting to it here and thinking about it makes it a success in those terms

it would have failed if no one cared about it or was remotely interested in it

if this guy couldnt think of anything that people could remember he would have failed, by getting people to have an emotional reaction to his stuff he has succeeded in being noticed. its all about getting your attention and making a name for himself

if he stops getting reactions he wont be successful at what he is doing

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 17:12 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

COLINWALL wrote:
if this guy couldnt think of anything that people could remember he would have failed, by getting people to have an emotional reaction to his stuff he has succeeded in being noticed. its all about getting your attention and making a name for himself

But is that art, or just a dodgy private marketing campaign?

All the best

Keith

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 17:42 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Re: . Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
I ignore hosepipe bans, I have 3 dogs, and a backyard. I hose it down daily for obvios hygine reasons...

Why dont you just take them for a walk?? Rolling Eyes

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:04 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Re: . Reply with quote

markcatate wrote:
thx1138 wrote:

Why dont you just take them for a walk?? Rolling Eyes

Or get your Dad to do it! Smile

(Joke)

owdamer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:19 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

6 taps running at once?? I'd like to see him do that here. I can't run 2 taps at once. If I turn a tap on upstairs then I cant get any water downstairs. If I flush the bog I have to wait til the systern has refilled before the tap will work!!.
If they fitted a water meter to our house i'm sure our bill would halve, thats if the water pressure could make the meter work.

Flip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:22 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's nothing. I'm going to get 6 artists, cut their wrists and have them bleed to death in 6 secret locations in Wales/Wirral.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:27 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Owdamer wrote:
6 taps running at once?? I'd like to see him do that here.

6 taps at locations accross London.

I reckon the Thames can handle it Wink.

As far as making people aware of the massive amount of water Thames Water is wasting, it working very well as people discuss it in places such as here.

By posting about how ridiculous it is, you are giving him exactly the result he hoped for Wink.

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 19:42 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Re: . Reply with quote

Toby R wrote:
Or get your Dad to do it! Smile

(Joke)

He does. Laughing

I have such an easy life. My sister is still here and she is doing all the housework/cooking walking the dog etc while i just watch smallville. Thumbs Up

McGee
O RLY?

PostPosted: 20:50 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Re: . Reply with quote

markcatate wrote:
while i just watch smallville. Thumbs Up

You sad bastard Laughing

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 21:25 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Middle Finger

smallville owns.

Andy C
Tree Seeking Missile

PostPosted: 22:01 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

What i dont get it stuff like this is "art" (was bonny said) blar blar etc tec

But gaffetti is vanduism?? Im not a graffiti artist but some of the stuff in Brighton is amazing but this is vandeism, one time i saw a guy finish a painting of a guy holding a birthday cake and loads of really cool hard stuff and was amazing as a present for someome (i guess) and really made the blank wall look like a piece of art

but laying some stuff out is art??? i can understand "tagging" as vanduism as that looks horible.

Sometime life is f*cked up, this is one of those cases Rolling Eyes
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 42 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2