Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Loans as a student

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:48 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Loans as a student Reply with quote

OK, here's the deal. I want my bike by the end of April, but I haven't really saved enough to pay for it outright. I turn 18 at the start of April, and I'll get £500 or so from my birthday. But if I got a small loan (£1000-£1500) I could afford to pay for a mint bike, and insurance, and any gear I wanted.

My issue is this; I'm still at school full-time, so I only have a part time job. I make about £120-£140 a week from that, so getting a short term loan (say 9 months) and paying £200 a month would be fine for me.

But as a full time student with a part time job, would I qualify for a loan? Getting a parent to take it out and pay them is out of the question.

Thanks. Thumbs Up

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:15 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

as a student banks will pretend to love you and you can get int free over drafts stupid amounts on credit cards etc quite easily.

Though then again I'd be careful not to borrow too much as life has an annoying habit of surprising you , was about to get a VFR750 but lost me job.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:31 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm not a university student; I'm still in 6th form. I'm going to university in September.

Is that different?

swampy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:38 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to be over 18 for a loan (don't know if you are or not). If you are, then they will calculate the amount you can borrow on your income, and the chances of you paying it back. You will probably get wacked for interest though as you are taking a relatively small amount over a small time, and you are an unknown quantity when it comes to repaying the loan. Thumbs Up

oops disregard the age bit above, must learn to read posts properly Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:44 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did a quick quote on Lloyds, they're offering £1500 over 12 months at about 15%APR, so around £1650. I don't mind paying that sort of interest, as it's a small amount.

Another issue I might have is proof of income. I'm paid cash in hand, week in lieu. If I got together all my old wage slips, would that be acceptable as proof of income? As I said, I earn about £500 a month, so paying the £130 a month wouldn't be a problem for me. I have confidence that I can pay this sort of money back. If I need to, I'll dip into my student loan when I get it, so I can pay it off easily. Frankly it's a hit I'm willing to take!

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:12 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly. Want does not get.

You can't get a student loan unless you're at uni. When you do they're paid roughly in thirds throughout the terms. Sept, Jan, April(?).

I'd question taking on a chunk of debt if you're planning on going to uni as you'l have even less money.

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:33 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

cagiva gezzer wrote:
Firstly. Want does not get.

You can't get a student loan unless you're at uni. When you do they're paid roughly in thirds throughout the terms. Sept, Jan, April(?).

I'd question taking on a chunk of debt if you're planning on going to uni as you'l have even less money.

I'd have more than enough time to gather the money required to pay off the loan. If I was allowed to, I'd probably pay it off within 5 months. If not, I'd just leave the excess sitting in my account gathering interest, with them taking it every month until it was paid off.

I don't want advice like 'don't do it, it's a stupid idea.' I have thought about all my various options, and I know this is the most practical, easiest option available. And I know that with this amount, I can handle the repayments.

swampy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:44 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Another issue I might have is proof of income. I'm paid cash in hand, week in lieu. If I got together all my old wage slips, would that be acceptable as proof of income?

You would probably need to take wage slips that are right up to date,and reflect what you have stated your earnings are on your application, and they may also contact your employer to see if you were good for the cash. They may also check your bank account to see if there is a regular deposit going in (these are all maybes, its been a while since I applied for credit, and cant remember exactly, but I'm sure all of the above have cropped up at some point during my long and illustrious borrowing career Very Happy )

Simple
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:45 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be wary about having just enough money to cover the repayments and not enough money to cover those unexpected expenses such as a huge gash in your tyre that no bung or gloop can cope with..or even just having the petrol money to go out with your mates.

Arn't sv650's 0% finance again though...

can't you get a bike for £500?
work your way upto the bike you really really want?

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:40 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm only after £1500, not a new bike. I could indeed get a cheap bike now, but really I don't see the point in waiting around. I skipped the 125 stage, why hang around in the 500ccs after all that?

Also the repayments aren't 'just enough'; with my income I'd be able to afford them with about £350 left over a month, which aside from running costs (which I already pay on a car, which I'm selling) is 100% disposable. I keep a rule anyway whereby I leave £100 in my bank account, and don't take it out unless I truly need it for something, like a mechanical problem.

I know I can afford to do this, I just really need to confirm whether I'm allowed to. Smile Thumbs Up

Simple
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:41 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, okay, only trying to help,

personally dont think the '125 stage' is to be skipped as it's fairly worthwhile.

but everyone is different

cqueen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:09 - 24 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont get any loans or credit before going to uni!

You might be on £125/week now, but what about when ur at uni? you'll never be able to afford the repayments when you have all the other shit like food and booze and books travell/petrol to pay for.

Andy C
Tree Seeking Missile

PostPosted: 17:26 - 24 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think you should be able to get one (proving your income could be hard though)

However, what are you going to do with it when you go to uni??

Im not sure what to do with the SV, Def not taking first year as nowhere to put it etc and going to try and get a house with a garage and then take it second year.

Im seriously considering getting a CB250/CB1/ER5 as just another thing to think off if i get into debt.

What sort of money you think off paying for the bike?

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 19:18 - 24 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're an idiot.

Not only do you appreciate the value of money so little that you are getting a loan while you are in 6th form, which means an APR of something like 30%, but you are doing it before going to Uni.

You're going to end up in a mess.

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:46 - 25 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

carvell wrote:
You're an idiot.

Not only do you appreciate the value of money so little that you are getting a loan while you are in 6th form, which means an APR of something like 30%, but you are doing it before going to Uni.

You're going to end up in a mess.

Actually it means an APR of around 16%. And yes, I would be doing it before university, but since my wages cover the monthly payments in 1 week out of every month, I could pay the whole thing off after 3 or 4 months. Rolling Eyes

It's fairly irrelevant anyway now, as I have found a bike which costs little enough that I don't need to get a loan.

Andy C
Tree Seeking Missile

PostPosted: 10:09 - 25 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rookie wrote:

It's fairly irrelevant anyway now, as I have found a bike which costs little enough that I don't need to get a loan.

cool!!! You got a 'cat for £600??? well done Thumbs Up and piccys!!

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:02 - 26 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy C wrote:

cool!!! You got a 'cat for £600??? well done Thumbs Up and piccys!!

£650, yes. From a lovely guy on the forum called ThunderSteve. It needs some work, but I'm picking it up next week and I've got it booked into the mechanics for the same day, and have ordered the parts I'll need too. Mr. Green

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 20:07 - 26 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple wrote:
Ahh, okay, only trying to help,

personally dont think the '125 stage' is to be skipped as it's fairly worthwhile.

but everyone is different

Really? I was on a 50cc for a year and jumped straight to a 600. It was easy.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

freckles
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:57 - 26 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you have found a bike now so this bit of advise is really irrelevant but if you could afford to pay off a loan in 3-4 months then surely you could wait 3-4 months and have the cash saved without the need for a loan?
I started uni last september and my student loan only just covers my accommodation, I got £3145 and received around a third of that in september and january and the last will come to me in april, without saving up and help from my boyfriend I wouldn't have been able to afford my tuition fees on top of that. It might be worth putting away a weeks wages each month ready for uni because no matter how much you plan it there is always hidden costs that are forgotten about so it's good being ready for that. Thumbs Up

Sam.

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:02 - 26 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, hidden cost that you just can't avoid!

freckles
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:30 - 26 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

RI_HA
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:27 - 26 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want extra cash simply get a massive overdraft on a student account, my mate done this, got a 1k overdraft and bought his bike that way. a couple of months doing over time was you eventually get a job will sort it out Thumbs Up

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 11:47 - 27 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rookie wrote:
Actually it means an APR of around 16%

16%!!!????

when I was selling finance packages, we LOVED the "mugs" that took out such high interest rate loans Smile

if you can't get something like 5,6,7% then I'd recommend NOT doing it, especially on a depreciating asset. the bike will be worth less tha you paid for it the moment you get it. ie, you pay 1800 for a 1500 bike. (you pay the loan company 1800 to give the seller 1500) not to mention than in 6 months, the bike will be worth less, but you still have to pay off the full £1800

why not Wait 9 months, and pay the same amount as you Woud have paid to the loan company. then you'll have more money to play with.

a
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 37 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1