BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Hard Luggage?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Adam_P
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:41 - 01 Apr 2006    Post subject: Hard Luggage? Reply with quote

Does anyone know if you can get hard luggage for a Fazer 600 (04 model)? Or where the best places to look would be?

I'm sorely tempted to do some riding around Europe during the summer and fancy getting some panniers that I could make sure were firmly attached (and possibly more waterproof and solid) that soft ones.

But I don't think there is any available. Has anyone seen anything that would do the job?

Ta Cool

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:04 - 01 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad uses GIVI stuff, the plus point being, if you change your bike you just buy a different fixing kit.

Try this link mate.

https://www.givi.co.uk/per_la_tua_moto.asp?co_id=2526&lang=en

Adam_P
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:13 - 01 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'd just stumbled onto the Givi stuff, unfortunately, I can't see any prices for it and the dealership link on their website seems to not work for me. I'll have to search for it on the web elsewhere.

Do you happen to know what your dad paid for it Mick?

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:19 - 01 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how much he paid, I dont think its cheap stuff but its good.

Try here they do GIVI stuff. https://www.bykebitz.co.uk/acatalog/Givi.html

Nath
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:21 - 01 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam_P wrote:
Thanks, I'd just stumbled onto the Givi stuff, unfortunately I can't see any prices for it.

Prices? "Expensive".

Unless you get a good deal second hand, most likely off eBay or a mate, most hard luggage seems too expensive to justify buying unless you're planning on doing a lot of touring.

For cheapskates like me, the solution is to make your own luggage.
Time spent making 'em: Two afternoons
Money spent: £16 (but with a fiver's worth of steel flatbar left over)
Injuries sustained: Only grazed leg, from falling off a wall Embarassed
I'm pretty chuffed to say the least.

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 19:26 - 01 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, they used ammo boxes on Terra Circa iirc.

Nath
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:08 - 01 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are a sensible option really. Strong (designed to safely carry live ammunition), watertight, cheap, and pretty damned cool as well Cool.

Okay, so a lot of people wouldn't be prepared to put in the work making up racks for them, but if you can they are certainly a good solution to the big touring luggage dilemma. I wouldn't really want to go touring Europe again with soft paniers to be honest.

Adam_P
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:43 - 01 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

And how much do it all weigh???

I'm only on a 600 and I'm a fat enough bastard as it is. Carrying half of her majesty's marine corps unwanted around on the back of the bike wouldn't make it a great trip... Wink Cool Laughing

Nice work though, am impressed.

Nath
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:43 - 01 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's actually a very lightweight setup. Those pictures are probably deceiving as the boxes are only small (11" long), hence why I've gone for two on each side. The racks are also fairly light, as I used 3x25mm flatbar since the strength and rigidity come from the design rather than the steel. There is no single 'crucial' join or piece, so even if a weld was to crack or break off the racks would still hold together.

The problem with this luggage is that there isn't a huge amount of carrying capacity, and with each side divided into two you lose the ability to take large objects. However I shall be using a really large ammo crate as a sort of topbox, in order to take camping gear etc. Now those large boxes are heavy, and I would certainly think twice before using them as panniers (though some people do).

This is all for my cb550 which is an old twin-shock bike which doesn't use a bolt on subframe, so in reality I could probably put as much weight on the back as I liked (particularly if I was willing to weld onto the frame). But those panniers would probably bolt onto even a cg125 without problems - They really are very light.

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 23:48 - 01 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

givi wing rack with panniers and top-box will set you back (i'm guessing) around £500... as that's what was quoted for the Givi set for my FJR.. since the wingrack is available for differnt bikes, I can't imagine there would be THAT huge a variance in price between bikes..

it's worthwhile going for the wingrack and top-box, as that's the most immediately useful, and flexible option. you could get a top-box only, without a wing-rack, but then when you Did want panniers, you'd have to junk the mounting plat and buy the full rack. if you have the wing-rack to start with, it might cost more to start out, but at least then you only need to buy the panniers.

a

krag
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:02 - 03 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I've got a pair of soft panniers that are ok for weekends but saw these at MnPs on the weekend and really tempted to get them for a longer Europe tour in the summer:

https://www.gpmcc.co.uk/ccp51/cgi-bin/cp-app.cgi?usr=51F789804&rnd=7162111&rrc=N&affl=&cip=&act=&aff=&pg=prod&ref=buffalo_slipstream_pannier&cat=luggage_panniers&catstr=HOME:luggage:luggage_panniers

They're pretty big in the flesh and have a semi-rigid outer making them generally 'nicer' than soft panniers. Worth a look?

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 11:03 - 03 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any hard luggage is likely to be expensive unless you fall lucky and pick up some 2nd hand kit.

The mounting kit is the must have, then you pick the luggage. However, each manufacturer's mounting kit only takes their luggage so you need to pick.

Givi is a good brand, but so in Nonfango. Another brand that may be cheaper because it has a lower profile is Krauser.

Cheapest option is probably to buy mail order (internet).

On a sports bike you'll just need 2 panniers. A top box will upset the handling. For stuff not in the panniers best bet one of the waterproof stuff sacks and bungie it across the back (either across or lengthways, depends on the fit).

HTH Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

pjb120
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:22 - 03 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

hiya, bought a full givi wingrack + pannier set (top + side boxes) for my fazer 600 off ebay. Set me back about £350. I also had to buy a fitting kit, so it will fit onto a fazer, which should set you back about £60 (have a look at mail order). Should serve me well in europe this summer Very Happy

natv4
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:19 - 05 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prices from dealer for GIVI (top box and 2 panniers)

fixing kits - £60
Wingrack - £130
Givi cases - £120 each

So for the lot expect around £550

Saying that, I spent 3 months looking on ebay and got 3 brand new givi monokey boxes for £190 (german dealer). I added a fitting kit (£60) and got a wingrack from ebay for £80.
Total - £330

I would say hard luggage is worth the extra as it means you don't have to fuss when you stop somewhere. Just leave it safely (as it can be) locked to the bike. If you have soft luggage, you tend to be more wary of people stealing things. Its just a pain when you find somewhere nice and then feel you have to carry everything with you or stay within eyesight of the bike.

I would just keep watching ebay and you will eventually find a bargain.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Stu_666
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:25 - 05 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at this thread and wondered if anyone knows anywhere that does hard luggage for a Ninja 636 (05 model with underseat exhaust). I quite fancy popping over to France (and maybe down to Spain if my buns don't go numb by the distance Razz ) but don't really fancy using soft luggage. Don't mind a tank bag as I've got one of them and they're easy enough to carry around with you, but I reckon soft luggage is too tempting to thieves. I've looked on the internet a bit but have'nt come across anything.

I know its my fault for buying a f*cking unpractical sportsbike but I'd have thought someone out there would do something for it.

Prize for the first bod who can find some Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 23:36 - 05 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean like this....

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 23:37 - 05 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i doubt that theives will nick stuff from soft luggage in most places, just keep your valuables on you or in an easily removable tank bag

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 10:16 - 06 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stu_666 wrote:
I reckon soft luggage is too tempting to thieves. I've looked on the internet a bit but have'nt come across anything.

having done the "touring on a sportsbike with soft luggage" thing it's not as bad as you'd think.. during your ride to/from your destination, you're either on the bike or near it.. once you get there, you take your luggage off and stick it in your tent/room and ride with your tank-bag for easy to carry day ytpe stuff.. it'd rarely left for any length of time fully laden, so I'd not worry too much about that Smile

a

Nath
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:50 - 06 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to disagree with that. Touring Spain, I often left my bike unattended with all the luggage on it. Mostly when looking for things in towns and cities (like a shop to buy food, or whilst looking for a place to stay), but also sometimes whilst sightseeing (castles and the like).

I left the bike for several hours in a few big cities (Paris, Bilboa, San Sebastian) without any problems, though that is not to say I didn't worry about having to leave it. At the end of the day, you will not enjoy your trip as much if you refuse to leave your bike parked up with the luggage on it.

Bare in mind though, that on the continent there are a lot more bike parking bays often right at the most busy parts of the cities. In Paris, I parked my bike up less than 100m walk from the Arc de Triumph.

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 17:20 - 06 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nath wrote:
I'd have to disagree with that. Touring Spain, I often left my bike unattended with all the luggage on it. Mostly when looking for things in towns and cities (like a shop to buy food, or whilst looking for a place to stay), but also sometimes whilst sightseeing (castles and the like).

I usually went shopping after I'd pitched the tent or sorted the room out.. also meant I had space for shopping, cos there was NO way I could have fitted evn a grain of rice in my luggage when it was packed, never mind a meal Smile

a

Black Knight
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:32 - 06 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard luggage can be quite reasonable if you're careful about buying.

I've bought....

Givi Rack + Plate + fitting kit £70

5 Givi boxes ( 2 without keys) £20

Kappa wingrack + indicators + 2 top plates + fitting kit + 42L box £100 fitted!

Recently sold a rack, plate and fitting kit for £95
Where does a turn end? 'Where you can do anything with the gas you want to, where you are brave again, where your attention is free from the turn, where you are sure you can do it better next time; that's the end' - Keith Code.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

natv4
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:12 - 06 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go with Nath on this one, its just less worry to leave things locked to the bike. Also I tend to cover ground quickly at times. I like to stop and wonder around, even though my next campsite is a 100 miles away.

It just adds options.

As Black Knight pointed out, it doesn't have to be expensive.

I did the first bike ride with soft luggage and as Feef says, its possible, I just thought it was worth the extra money to have the convenience of being able to jump off the bike and do as I please.

McGee
O RLY?

PostPosted: 20:26 - 07 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nath what do they look like on the bike ?

Nath
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:55 - 07 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite pleased with them actually. Give the bike a slight "military" look. However I made the racks for the left hand side about 2" lower than the right side Doh! I may try and fix it, or alternatively stick a small box ontop of that side to store my chain in.

McGee
O RLY?

PostPosted: 22:44 - 07 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks ace mate Thumbs Up Mr. Green

Gives that russian army look Karma
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 39 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2