Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


It's not just transport ya know

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

DEN MONKEY
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:17 - 15 May 2006    Post subject: It's not just transport ya know Reply with quote

Driving home from work today in the cage and I wished I was on the bike. I used to do this when I had the gpx2fiddy but since I got me zx6r every time I'm in the car I want to be on the bike

I guess I'm part fair weather, as if it rains I'll take the car. Anything else and I'm on the bike


The it came to me in the car tonight ....... I don't feel like I'm me when I'm not on the bike .

Now I know we've had threads about what makes a biker a biker but somehow it just made sense to me.
A moment of clarity if you will.

Yeah maybe it's because I've only had the new bike for 2 weeks and am still excited over the new toy.

Not sure if this makes sense but does being on your bike sometimes just make you feel.....well more like you??
____________________
meh
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

killa
Won't Shut Up



Joined: 18 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:24 - 15 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drive my GF’s car sometimes to learn, it is very strange, no wind, no excitement, and I don’t like the fact you can’t see everything.
I really like the idea of a car as well as a bike, but I can’t afford both, I can’t afford lessons either so bikes are the only transport. I would have both for sure and I’d go in the car when I felt like it, I reckon it would make the riding more fun when I did go out for a play.
____________________
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
Bike:- Yamaha TRX850 | Killas Biking History | Killas Gaming History | Killas autmotive history
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:52 - 15 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny enough discussing this with a friend at the weekend.
His bike is laid up due to finances and mechanical problems.
So he's taking the car.

Now before getting back into bikes he'd be sat in the traffic thinking 'Bastards' as a bike would filter on past.

Now after the bike he's sat in the traffic thinking 'Lucky Bastard' as a bike filter's past.

I think that sums it up nice.

Very Happy
____________________
...and the whirlwind is in the thorn trees, it's hard for thee to kick against the pricks...
Gibbs, what did Duckie look like when he was younger? Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mr.z
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:02 - 15 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Driveing a car feels very unatural and wrong.. no acceleration, not allot of feedback, not being able to see much and being quite vunerable.. because you take up so much more road, it would take not allot to get hit by somebody comeing the other way down a tight country road, haveing a bike makes you allot more aware of things flying past, i dont feel safe in cars half as much now.
____________________
>RidingSkills<->Tech Tips<->MyBikes<
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!



Joined: 12 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:02 - 15 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

After I've spent a long time driving a car it feels like you're forgotten something because you don't have a seat belt on.

I miss leaning when I'm in the car. I love a swift left/right as you enter a roundabout after you've just filtered past everyone and timed it just perfectly so you don't have to stop at the roundabout.

Gaz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

the grim reaper
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:50 - 15 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm the same and my missus agrees. She's given up biking due to being pregnant but she won't let me give up bikes because then I 'wouldn't be me' as far as she's concerned. She wasn't happy when I had the Varadero either because I look a lot better and happier on a sportsbike.

What a woman !! Mr. Green

Cheers

Grim
____________________
Adverts don't always work: Remember that advert, where the army are running across the desert and they have a wounded man on a stretcher. They get to a ravine, the bridge is down and a caption pops up that says, 'What are you thinking?'. I don't know about you but I was thinking, 'Christ, I'm glad I'm not in the f***ing army'.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

DEN MONKEY
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:59 - 15 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What a woman !!


She got a sister ?? Thumbs Up
____________________
meh
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kara
Crazy Courier



Joined: 23 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:09 - 15 May 2006    Post subject: Re: It's not just transport ya know Reply with quote

Siggi wrote:
DEN MONKEY wrote:
Driving home from work today in the cage and I wished I was on the bike. I used to do this when I had the gpx2fiddy but since I got me zx6r every time I'm in the car I want to be on the bike

I guess I'm part fair weather, as if it rains I'll take the car. Anything else and I'm on the bike


The it came to me in the car tonight ....... I don't feel like I'm me when I'm not on the bike .

Now I know we've had threads about what makes a biker a biker but somehow it just made sense to me.
A moment of clarity if you will.

Yeah maybe it's because I've only had the new bike for 2 weeks and am still excited over the new toy.

Not sure if this makes sense but does being on your bike sometimes just make you feel.....well more like you??


It's about subconcious self-image. Your inner mind rebels against inferior conformity and mediocrity, and biking is the antithesis to them. Thus you feel like the 'real you' when on your bike, because you are affirming your superior non-mediocre and non-conformist status. Or something. Laughing


Or it could be reaction formation, or it could be an unresolved oedipus complex, or it could be maladaptive cognitions, or it could be operant conditiong or it could be that you just need to buy a faster car Smile
____________________
NC30 + Bandit 6
www.eabikers.co.uk
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

DEN MONKEY
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:03 - 15 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Siggi wrote:
DEN MONKEY wrote:
Driving home from work today in the cage and I wished I was on the bike. I used to do this when I had the gpx2fiddy but since I got me zx6r every time I'm in the car I want to be on the bike

I guess I'm part fair weather, as if it rains I'll take the car. Anything else and I'm on the bike


The it came to me in the car tonight ....... I don't feel like I'm me when I'm not on the bike .

Now I know we've had threads about what makes a biker a biker but somehow it just made sense to me.
A moment of clarity if you will.

Yeah maybe it's because I've only had the new bike for 2 weeks and am still excited over the new toy.

Not sure if this makes sense but does being on your bike sometimes just make you feel.....well more like you??


It's about subconcious self-image. Your inner mind rebels against inferior conformity and mediocrity, and biking is the antithesis to them. Thus you feel like the 'real you' when on your bike, because you are affirming your superior non-mediocre and non-conformist status. Or something.


Or it could be reaction formation, or it could be an unresolved oedipus complex, or it could be maladaptive cognitions, or it could be operant conditiong or it could be that you just need to buy a faster car



Yeah....NUP


Don't make it more complex than it has to be. If it was something that required excessive thought to do or enjoy I be likely to go back to picking and eating my own boogers.

Thank god for bikes Thumbs Up
____________________
meh
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

killa
Won't Shut Up



Joined: 18 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:08 - 15 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEN MONKEY wrote:
Thank god for bikes


As much as we do thank him, he's never done anything actually.

Especially bikes...
____________________
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
Bike:- Yamaha TRX850 | Killas Biking History | Killas Gaming History | Killas autmotive history
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nb
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:51 - 15 May 2006    Post subject: Re: It's not just transport ya know Reply with quote

DEN MONKEY wrote:
Driving home from work today in the cage and I wished I was on the bike. I used to do this when I had the gpx2fiddy but since I got me zx6r every time I'm in the car I want to be on the bike

I guess I'm part fair weather, as if it rains I'll take the car. Anything else and I'm on the bike


The it came to me in the car tonight ....... I don't feel like I'm me when I'm not on the bike .

Now I know we've had threads about what makes a biker a biker but somehow it just made sense to me.
A moment of clarity if you will.

Yeah maybe it's because I've only had the new bike for 2 weeks and am still excited over the new toy.

Not sure if this makes sense but does being on your bike sometimes just make you feel.....well more like you??

I know exactly what you mean, i ride every day and without my bike im in a mood. I went on a weeks holiday last month in the car, i lasted 1 day then drove home to bring back my bike. Embarassed Laughing Wink
____________________
Cbr1100xx blackbird gone, mk4 golf gt tdi chav now
Colin1 wrote 'Im grateful for what i can get, which isnt all that much.'
Columbus travel insurance are crap!! Do not use!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

SoND
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:20 - 15 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

killa wrote:
DEN MONKEY wrote:
Thank god for bikes


As much as we do thank him, he's never done anything actually.

Especially bikes...


What about thanking the japanese instead? Thinking
____________________
Go back to bed - You have no rights - "Streetfighters ~ Mainstream motorcycling's crackwhore sister."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch



Joined: 06 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:24 - 15 May 2006    Post subject: Re: It's not just transport ya know Reply with quote

Kara wrote:
Siggi wrote:
It's about subconcious self-image. Your inner mind rebels against inferior conformity and mediocrity, and biking is the antithesis to them. Thus you feel like the 'real you' when on your bike, because you are affirming your superior non-mediocre and non-conformist status. Or something. Laughing


Or it could be reaction formation, or it could be an unresolved oedipus complex, or it could be maladaptive cognitions, or it could be operant conditiong or it could be that you just need to buy a faster car Smile


Any of you guys feel like talking in English any time soon? No? Ok...
____________________
wizzzard wrote: Imagine God just stopping by, tidying your front room up and then quietly letting himself out again. Statisticly more likely to happen than Korn being on here.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

nrml76
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 05 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:38 - 15 May 2006    Post subject: Re: It's not just transport ya know Reply with quote

Kara wrote:

or it could be that you just need to buy a faster car Smile


Very true! Not just faster though; it has to have a presence. When I went from bikes to my AC Cobra replica, I didn't develop a withdrawl reaction. The car gave me as much satisfaction as any bike I've ever owned! After selling, it I sorely missed it, and I still do. I am now back to bikes, as volkswagen lupo's are mind numbingly boring. The lupo is now used exclusively by my girlfriend.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mr.z
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:48 - 16 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a sit in the car of a mates, toyota supra, turbocharged sillyness 375bhp (up to now)

160mph(as fast at it would get there too), very much underwhelming..

Same one wont go on the bike, even on 30 roads.. because there too dangeorus.. Thinking


So um no, i dont think a faster car will help (allthough its pretty, sounds good and nice to sit in and everything)
____________________
>RidingSkills<->Tech Tips<->MyBikes<
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

innominate
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:30 - 16 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tune out when driving the car.


So would rather take the bike as its safer.. Shocked
____________________
I, as a responsible adult human being, will never concede the power to anyone to regulate my choice of what I put into my body, or where I go with my mind. From the skin inwards is my jurisdiction, is it not? I choose what may or may not cross that border. Here I am the customs agent. I am the coast-guard. I am the sole legal and spiritual government of this territory, and only the laws I choose to enact within myself are applicable.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

nrml76
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 05 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:57 - 16 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr.z wrote:

So um no, i dont think a faster car will help (allthough its pretty, sounds good and nice to sit in and everything)


Try out something like a GT40, or an AC cobra; it helps. A car has to have more than just speed to make it a satisfying driving experience. It has to have a presence. Just opening the garage door and looking at it should make the hairs on your neck stand up! Bliping the throttle should feel almost orgasmic. When you go around a corner, it has to make the jaws of whoever sees it drop to the floor. My previous car with sidepipes was louder than any bike I've ever seen or heared, but I've never had a single complaint from anyone. Little old grannies hobbling on crutches would come up to me and say what a lovely car it was. Kids would yell from the sidewalk 'nice car mister'. I've had people give way for me in traffic when they had right of way, so that they could have a closer look. Bikes don't draw so much emotion from the public, but they are satisying in their own way. Cars like the Audi RS6, Scoobys, Evos etc dont do anything for me. Im not a huge fan of modern Ferraris and Lamborghinis either; they dont make my heart skip a beat like the old ones did.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 148 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.59 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 105.63 Kb