Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Three Points or do a Course

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:48 - 16 May 2006    Post subject: Three Points or do a Course Reply with quote

I got done for 35 in a thirty last Nov in Newcastle
I opted to take the Speed awareness Course offered by Northumbrian Police.
It means you don't get points or fined.

(My insurance NCD is shot to hell anyway so I need to keep ma heid doon.)

I posted last year and said I would up date on the matter.

So I attended and was surprised to see all the folk on the course were caught for the same sort of offence. 35mph.
If you were doing more you dont get the option. Laughing

The course explained how speed kills.
Briefly then:

At 30 you may kill some one if you hit them
At 35-40 you most probably will.
It was clear enuf to me and not really a con trick
The Scammeras were 'FULLY' explained.

All the shite we read about Scam cams is just that
There are strict government rules for camera schemes and one of them is that there needs to be two serious accidents at the location before a site is considered.

I passed the course so now drive 28-30-31 in 30.
Converted.

There was tons of stats too.

Now. I'm open to a bombardment from all the malcontents at BCF.
But I'm ready for boarders. Laughing

It costs 65 pounds and lasts three hours.

BMF should look at getting us all on it (For a discount Wink ).
If you want to stay alive or not kill some poor f*cker.

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 15:04 - 16 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you hit someone at 30, then it suggests you were speeding, since you've prolly braked befor impact. So they're saying it's okay to speed as long as you get down t o30 before you hit the kids, because they stand more chance of surving?

2 accidents at camera spots?

it Doesn't have to be a speed related accident.

reverse into something and damage (council) property
accident
knock someone down at 25mph?
Accident

so they can now put a camera up in that spot.

it's all propaganda.

a

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:25 - 16 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Children children

Hiting someone at 30 would kill them.
If you read (CAN YOU Laughing ) your highway code book it states clearly that there are reasons for maintaining a thirty speed limit.

It's called thinking, braking and overall STOPPING distance.
So if you THINK you will hit someone at THIRTY
You will have had time to think and time to stop.
You will hit them, if you do, at much less velocity that 'thirty'.

For your information:
"needs to be two SERIOUS accidents at the location before a site is considered."

If you reverse into someone at thirty is would be serious.

Siggi????? Shocked

You two are just pulling my leg you pair of scallywaggs. Laughing

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 16:12 - 16 May 2006    Post subject: Re: Three Points or do a Course Reply with quote

Walloper wrote:
...All the shite we read about Scam cams...there needs to be two serious accidents at the location before a site is considered.....

Like the case Jeremy Clarkson often quotes where one accident was a suicide jumping off a bridge onto a motorway. There's a camera site there now Rolling Eyes

The fact is that the message has been dumbed down to Speed Kills to make it easy and to sell. The truth is that speed in itself is not dangerous. However, inappropriate use of speed is.

Sadly that's a harder message for an ad-agency to sell and the police etc. would prefer to keep quiet about it. Double standards that that's the message they use on their own driving courses though.

Just my thoughts Karma
Glad you got something out of the course.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:16 - 16 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.slower-speeds.org.uk/prjune02.htm

And inappropriate use of speed is controlled by???
Cops and cameras.

I got some shopping in at the Met ro Centre. Laughing

syl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:33 - 16 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three points (and a £60 fine) or do a £65 course? The course every time to avoid the insurance hike and possible loss of licence under totting up.

The rest of your post is crap though. You fell for the Scamera propaganda.

How much does the Scamera partnership get from each course? Looks like they are in a win-win situation whichever you choose (unless you choose to go to court, where they don't get anything no matter what the verdict).

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:34 - 16 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Siggi wrote:
Walloper wrote:
https://www.slower-speeds.org.uk/prjune02.htm

And inappropriate use of speed is controlled by???
Cops and cameras.

Laughing

Bollocks. Speed is controlled by the vehicle operator, by ensuring his speed is appropriate for the conditions.

Speed cameras are just another distraction (a very lethal one) that make his job harder.

But more road deaths and injuries, caused directly by scameras, are ok so long as the scum running the show are making a nice fat earner out of them.

Utter cunts.

Speed should be controlled by vehicle operator.
As should outbursts by the ill-informed should be.

But alas one of the joys of freedom.. Laughing

akaDAVE
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:41 - 16 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the brainwashing course worked then.

I understand the dangers of speeding but it seems that logic is not applied when limits are set so I lose respect for them.

Interesting facts about different speeds and death but I think overall it's how quick you see the person in the road that counts and if you're watching your speedo you won't see them.

Near where I live there is a long straight road that is wide open with clear pathways on each side set back over 3 yards from the road, the houses are a futher 30ft back from that with clear views and low walls all around.
If I was riding/driving down that road at 45mph I would challenge anyone to hide and then run out and touch me before I could stop dead.
Half a mile down the road there is a stretch of seafront road alongside a very busy green area - kids kicking footballs around, dogs, horses, ice cream vans, old women pulling out, throwing doors open without looking, bad parking, litter in the road, terrible road surface, blind junctions to the right and the speed limit is....? 60mph! ???

Andy C
Tree Seeking Missile

PostPosted: 16:51 - 16 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

as much as i hate to say it, i think that the average speed camera are a really good idea in area where lots of accidents happen. everyone keeps their speed down and arnt dangerous like normal ones that make you slam on the brakes if you dont see them Sad

and yea, if your doing 40 in a 30 you are unlikly to hit someone at 40 due to braking etc like many have said already Thumbs Up

Sounds better than point though!!!

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:45 - 16 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not this shite again.

Every-bloody-line has to be picked apart by those willing.
There is never a shortage of phannies @BCF.. (No offence Phantom matey.)

I think the stats are scientifically corroborated.
Have been the some for years.

Go here.

https://www.hintsandthings.co.uk/garage/stopmph.htm

Those who have contradicted my post are free to do so, but read carefully and absorb the data before you blurt.

We will try to arrange a test.
One of the 'non-conformists' stands at a point 25 ft from a marker where I apply my brake.
1st at 30mph
Then at 35
then 40.
Anyyou cool doodz brave enuf?
Have you been brain washed to think differently by Hollywood Special Effects?

And vehicle mass effects stopping distance tooo....

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:46 - 16 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I for one would love to be sent on such a course.

I would go armed with loads of peer reviewed statistical data. I would also make them cry by insisting they corroborate their claims. I'm used to tearing drug reps apart when they try to sell me stuff on the basis of spurious statistics and studies.

If a claim isn't published in a reputable, peer reviewed journal, it is not worth the paper it is written on.

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:47 - 16 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition:

Over the years "stopping distances" have been argued as no longer appropriate for today's modern "high tech" vehicles, often equipped with sophisticated braking systems and on board computers
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But not everyone drives modern "high tech" vehicles
Picture the driver with a highly modified 10 year old vehicle
Fitted with a state of the art music system
And a state of the art lighting system: often underneath the car
With a braking system that uses 10 year old technology
Driven by someone with 10 months driving experience

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's why "stopping distances" haven't attempted to keep up with technology

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:53 - 16 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Well, I for one would love to be sent on such a course.

I would go armed with loads of peer reviewed statistical data. I would also make them cry by insisting they corroborate their claims. I'm used to tearing drug reps apart when they try to sell me stuff on the basis of spurious statistics and studies.

If a claim isn't published in a reputable, peer reviewed journal, it is not worth the paper it is written on.

Is this shite?

https://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/09.htm

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 17:54 - 16 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Well, I for one would love to be sent on such a course....make them cry by insisting they corroborate their claims...

Very Happy however, that's not the point to them. They don't have to prove anything because you're there as a criminal.
It's sit there and take it all in and don't argue other wise it's back to we'll give you 3 points and, oh yes, a £60 fine as well then Mad

See this link for an article from the Telegraph by Christopher Booker about such courses.

HTH to clarify Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:04 - 16 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walloper wrote:

No references, therefore the figures are meaningless.

rule 105 wrote:
remember, large vehicles and motorcycles need a greater distance to stop

That is total bollocks for one thing. (and no I don't have any data to hand, just anecdote.).

I do know that the stopping distance of my GPZ500s on a dry road from 90mph is about the same as they quote for 70mph. And that is a heavyish bike with a particularly feeble brake and narrow tyres.

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:09 - 16 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

map wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:
Well, I for one would love to be sent on such a course....make them cry by insisting they corroborate their claims...

Very Happy however, that's not the point to them. They don't have to prove anything because you're there as a criminal.
It's sit there and take it all in and don't argue other wise it's back to we'll give you 3 points and, oh yes, a £60 fine as well then Mad

See this link for an article from the Telegraph by Christopher Booker about such courses.

HTH to clarify Thumbs Up

With respect map, it appears Mr. Booker just can't get his head around it can he?
I don't think the guy who ran the workshop I attended was particulary "Janet and John".
It is in-formal, the evidence is presented and you take from it what you will.
If you're so stubborn and resistant to change, which is a part of successful evolution, then cough up the fine, take the points, sit down and shut the fuck up.
You will get another four penalties soon enough and then you cease to be a problem. Unless of course you're so pig-headed you continue to drive whilst banned.

Quick Aside:
Motorcyclists are 30 times more likely to be killed than car drivers, and make up one in six of all road deaths, despite covering only one per cent of all miles travelled. Of the 3,431 people killed on British roads in 2002, 609 were on motorcycles, scooters or mopeds.

stolen from:

https://www.aatrust.com/index.asp?PageID=32&Year=2004&NewsID=11

Mrs Kickstart
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:29 - 16 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

See Safespeed for the alternative side of the story and the problems with the goverment stats.

I belive the emphasis should be on avoiding the accident not on how fast you hit someone. You can kill yourself just falling over walking in the right circumstances.

Speed Camera do not stop speeding, they may inform the police some was speeding. In may cases it has seen traffic diverted from main roads to minor less suitable roads which is not good for accidents.

Also an accident can be maked as due to speed regardless of the limit. For example pile on the motorway due to taffic travelling at 60 mph with thick fog and very low visability could be recorded and excessive speed for the circumstances.

Some of their stats may be right but they will not have given a balanced opinion

Regards
Charlotte

Last edited by Mrs Kickstart on 19:30 - 16 May 2006; edited 2 times in total

bostonshirede...
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:31 - 16 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

"But the study — by The AA Motoring Trust-led European Road Assessment Programme (EuroRAP), which rates roads for the risk they represent to their users — shows that many are innocent victims of unforgiving road design, poor road maintenance, or the failure of drivers to "think bike". Four out of ten bikers are killed at junctions, most in collisions with cars, and previous studies have shown that in more than half those cases the car driver was at fault."

From ure very own website that u just quoted

People of cause are more likely to die on a bike or walking than in car, thats common sence

Speed does not kill, speed enhances the effects of an accident

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:33 - 16 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

So let me get this straight, is this a 'course' that you have to pass or just attend?

ie. Is it possable to 'fail'?

If you can fail this course because you don't agree with what the course supervisors are saying then it isn't a course and definately IS brainwashing. Even the most anally retentive of university professors would give you fair marks in an exam if you wrote an essay contradicting everything they taught you providing you were able to back it up.

Quick Aside:

I will be out on my bike at the weekend and fully intend to break every speed limit I go through. As I do every time I go out on my bike and have done for the last eleven years (or 160,000 miles at a conservative estimate).

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:13 - 16 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Siggi wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:

Quick Aside:

I will be out on my bike at the weekend and fully intend to break every speed limit I go through. As I do every time I go out on my bike and have done for the last eleven years (or 160,000 miles at a conservative estimate).

Fuckin' A! Thumbs Up

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=83168&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

From a 'Lay 'Gun Slinger' who baits a personal firing squad I should take advice or have any respect for their views in this matter?

Kill yourself on a track; try to ensure you are the only one injured,
do not take anyone, unwilling to accompany you, out with you in your haste to leave our planet.

Oh BTW, thanks for enlightening me about the lack of cage around my bike. Dood.

You do not need to attend the workshop boys and girls......
But to save points, you will Skywalker.

I think it very noble of you Stinkwheel to pit your wit against a University Professor on your exam paper in an attempt to pass. What if he is only looking for answers and not conjecture from a smart arse?

I think this one is turning into the usual pish from the usual pricks, though some are not home from work/school yet (detention I'll bet).

>Goes and dons Old 'worn out' flame proof suit of kevlar< Laughing

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:26 - 16 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's got fuck all to with where you stick your toes ya daft bastart.
It's about trying to keep folk alive.

You have chosen to turn this into a vendetta for your own personal fulfilment.
Again.......

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:34 - 16 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walloper wrote:

I think it very noble of you Stinkwheel to pit your wit against a University Professor on your exam paper in an attempt to pass. What if he is only looking for answers and not conjecture from a smart arse?

conjecture
1. Inference or judgment based on inconclusive or incomplete evidence; guesswork.
2. A statement, opinion, or conclusion based on guesswork: The commentators made various conjectures about the outcome of the next election.

No, a university professor is never "only looking for answers". They are looking for you to provide reasoned argument to justify a point of view using either your own evidence or valid evidence of others to prove it within accepted scientific method. If you were to indulge in conjecture, you would certainly be marked down.

School teachers are still allowed the indulgance of telling someone "You are wrong" or to call them a "smart arse" because they don't agree with you or because your oppinions deviate from the rote learning laid down in the 'required syllabus'. University exam papers are only marked using ticks, never crosses.

In real life, most accepted 'facts' are far from black and white. The statistics of road traffic accidents in particular are a very muddy grey. Muddied further by external agendas. Scientific technique requires that you challenge and query a hypothesis at every oppertunity. This is the only way to ensure you don't get stuck in a rut with as you put it, conjecture and dogma.

If we didn't do this, the earth would still be flat and at the centre of the universe, god would have made the world in seven days in 4,000BC and Japanese motorcycles would only rev to 6,000rpm.

bostonshirede...
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:37 - 16 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up

Come on, surely everyone can see giving someone 3 points and a 60 quid fine for doing 35 in a 30 at 3am is not in the public intrest but mearly a money making scam?

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:38 - 16 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an opinion, I can debate.
If reasoned.

The man who was driving to work started early 05:00.
Thinks, No one around at this hour I can give it some.
Milk boy delivering milk thinks, No one around at this hour I don't need to check the road for traffic.
Bang.
Milk boy dead.
Motorist surprised and feeling like shit.

Statistically you are on thin ice.

Firstly. For offering to bash anyone who disagrees with you. You will be plastered some day.

Secondly. Your attitude to road safety.

Thirdly. Your wish to inflict injury and pain on yourself.

I am not brain washed. I can, as most at BCF can, make decisions based on reasonable evidence without going to the extremes of reality to prove a lesser point is the real issue.

I am not going to call you names, use foul language, or goad you anymore.
You may not be of sound mind and could try to pop the next soul who upsets you with one of your guns.

bostonshirede...
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:53 - 16 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortuantely, statistically you are also on dodgy ground.

The majority of accidents are caused by somebody making a mistake, either not seeing somebody or failing to act, speed then amplifies the effects of this accident, speed on its own does cause accidents, but a lot less than dodgy road surfaces, defective brakes and bad observation do.

The only way to prevent accidents is for no one to move, ever, then you cant bump into anyone or thing, but how fun would that be?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 349 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6