|
|
| Author |
Message |
| whackamole |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 whackamole Two Stroke Sniffer

Joined: 06 May 2006 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 19:16 - 19 May 2006 Post subject: Where now for a man of my calibre? |
 |
|
Dear all,
First of all you should know something about me before I carry on.
I'm 30. I've just passed my CBT (on Wednesday). And I have a beard. Right that's detail enough....
Recently, before doing my CBT, I had every intention of doing it then the Theory/DAS then soon after getting meself an ER5 or similar.
Now I've passed though I have now started thinking about getting myself a 125 for now, getting nice and comfy on it then next spring/summer going and doing my DAS instead.
The reason being...firstly money is an issue. I'm currently reckoning that >1000 would get me a decent 125. Then I can save properly over the next 10 or so months to get my DAS and 'big bike' money together while, like I say, ''learning me trade'' on the 125.
Also, and this is hard to admit being a man and all, after doing my CBT road test thing (and stalling numerous times) I don't feel ready to go and jump on a big bike. Plus I like the idea of getting a 125 trailie and having some fun on it for a while whilst in the meantime getting those readies together for the big fun later down the line.
Now the question is, is this sensible? The biker mates I have all tell me I'll be bored senseless on a 125 in no time but my argument is, I had fun on my CBT (on a GN125) and if I got a trailie and could have blasts off road as well as on.
Any help/hints/advice from those a lot more knowledgable than I would be really really appreciated.
On paper my little idea seems bombproof, but am I missing something on the big picture? ____________________ Be nice.
CBR600F |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| whackamole |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 whackamole Two Stroke Sniffer

Joined: 06 May 2006 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| greatmoorred |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 greatmoorred Nearly there...

Joined: 13 Jul 2005 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 19:55 - 19 May 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
Hey mate.
Good idea to get a bit of practice on a 125, no shame in that at all.
I still like the look of 125 varadero's, but i dont know how it would handle "real" off roading. It would probably stall at the first site of mud, and refuse to start until you washed it  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kickstart |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kickstart The Oracle

Joined: 04 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| suzi_bandit |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 suzi_bandit Traffic Copper

Joined: 21 Jul 2005 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| phantomtek |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 phantomtek Lil Joe Tek
Joined: 20 May 2005 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 22:23 - 19 May 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
| Kickstart wrote: | Wonder whether those friends who said you will get bored of a 125 have actually spent any time riding a decent 125? |
Since I have been one of the people who said he would probably get bored of riding a TW125, I will hold my hands up and say that I have only ever ridden a CG125, which is basically the same thing. I also said it depends largely on the type of rider you are, and what exactly you want from biking.
I think that he is extremely sensible in the fact that he wants an offroader sort of 125, instead of being a plastic fantastic like some people, and is aware that he faces the risk of dropping it, and will have more fun having the option to go offroad, because it is extremely fun, even on a 50 I had a good time. Also being older and taller he will find the trailie easier to control ride and be comfy on.
I would look into the 2 stroke variety of the 125s, but as I am telling you now on MSN you sacrifice a little reliability, but you ultimately gain about 20mph more top end which is better in the long run. Though I think maybe a DT125 will be quite reliable and can be had for relatively little money. And parts, spares and extras are fairly easy to get hold of eBay.
I think you should listen to G on this one because he knows his stuff, and has experience with these kind of bikes. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 20 years, 143 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|