Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Going to Europe

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

Jamie.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:26 - 29 May 2006    Post subject: Going to Europe Reply with quote

Hi, Me and a few mates are considering traveling to england then getting a ferry to france then going down through the countries (not sure where yet)

My questions are;

Am I 100% not insured if I leave the Uk since thats all my insurance covers me for and its £49.99 extra (I think) which I dont really want to pay

What are the police like in foreign countries towards us tourists on bikes?

Will I need a big GB sticker somewhere on my bike?

May be silly one, but do I need my carbs altered or anything because of things like the change in humidity between countries?

Many thanks for any replys Thumbs Up

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 22:32 - 29 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Legally you insurance must give you minimum legal cover in Europe. Probably worth paying the extra though,especially if you get breakdown cover with the upgrade.

The French police are not unknown for setting up speed traps near the ports.

You should have a GB sticker (or one of the little GB marks on the registration plate).

Carbs should be OK. The bike not run perfectly in the more extreme areas but should be safe and OK.

All the best

Keith

natv4
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:44 - 30 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add to what Keith said...

French Police are fairly heavy handed on speeding, especially if you are a foreigner.

If you are going upto 20kph over the speed limit - you will probably be ok.

faster than 40kph over limit - Expect an on the spot fine. If you can't pay, your bike may be impounded and you will be left on the side of the road. They may take you to a cash point so that you can get some money. Be careful, on the spot fines can be large (£500+).

That said, it is a big country, there are not many speed traps for the size of country, and most seem to be towards the ports anyway.

I stick to back roads (N roads etc) and see very little in the way of police presence.

At this time (but maybe not for long) points cannot be accrued to your licence in other countries. However there are EU directives in motion to make points apply anywhere in the EU.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Jamie.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:35 - 30 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replys Thumbs Up

Ive done a bit of research, Its going to be £60 to travel via the channel tunnel (or euro tunnel, whatever its called) its a lot cheaper between 12am - 6am.
Is the ferry over any cheaper?
The fact we will have to get a ferry over to England from Northern Ireland means we can only get a boat to scotland and its one hell of a drive to the south of england from there
I would say money is the main factor here, so were looking for the cheapest way there and back
We are thinking that we should just go as far as france on our first trip since its nice and close

Whats the best way to carry luggage? I will possibly be taking a pillion but mates wont be, Can you really fit that much stuff in the tank/rear bags? (not sure of the names) We will also have to take a small tent incase something happens since we wont be booking anywhere to stay because we might never get there Smile Easier to stay in a B&B when we find one

Also I only passed my full test 7 months ago, Does this effect where im allowed to travel to?

Thanks,
Jamie

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:09 - 30 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Jamie- wrote:
I will possibly be taking a pillion

Not sure thats too wise considering your limited experience and your bike with the mileage your thinking of doing, you may find it very tiring indeed.

Have you considered sailing from hull to zeebrugge it'll be easier on you and the bike. it may also be better for you to sail to Liverpool instead of Stranraer. Thumbs Up

Jamie.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:33 - 30 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no problem taking a pillion, I said possibly nothings for sure yet as he may have his bike before the trip happens Smile

If I want to go to liverpool I have to leave from Dublin, Which is about 120 miles maybe more from my house, Thats looking more likely the route tho
Liverpool is still a few hundrew miles from the tunnel tho

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:04 - 30 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about Belfast to Birkenhead then its straight accross the M62 to hull.

Jamie.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:27 - 30 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which company do you see that with? I cant see any that go anywhere else than stranrar or fleetwood

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:40 - 30 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go mate

https://www.norsemerchant.com/PASSENGER/routes_schedules/routes.asp

Although to be honest your not too far away with heysham, about an hour from the M62 I'd say

Jamie.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:25 - 30 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wtf, £95 one way? Fuck that, Ill take the tunnel if I can get to it cheaper Wink

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:30 - 30 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didnt say it was cheap. Wink

When I went abroad on the 400 I rode from Preston to Ashford (eurostar terminal) on less than 3 tanks so that probably is your cheapest option, I was just thinking of it being easier for you as I cant see an er5 loaded with luggage possibly 2 up being much fun on long motorways. Thumbs Up

Jamie.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:38 - 30 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, ive just decided I wont be taking a pillion, that way I can load up with more luggage, Is it illegal to say, use bungee cord to fasten a few Non Motorbike bags to the bike? My bike has the hooks under the pillion seat for doing it and I could also wear a rucksack

We would be looking to spend at most £120 each on the boats
Then whatever the petrol costs us isnt a problem

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:56 - 30 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any bag should be ok, I used a large holdall across the back of mine.

One word of advice I will give you is to travel as lightly as possible.

Do you really need as much clothes as you think, if the weather is good enough you'll be able to wash clothes while your there, or the other option is to buy cheap stuff from Tesco, Asda etc. and throw them away once your done wearing them, granted you wont win any fashion contests but your going to ride your bike. Thumbs Up

nick.h
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:47 - 30 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

How old are you?

Nick
[Italjet MM5A] ll [Rieju RS1 Evolution] ll [Suzuki GS500e] ll [Suzuki GSX600F] ll [Honda CG125] ll [Pug Elyseo 125] ll [Yamaha YZF750R] ll [Yamaha Thunderace] ll [Yamaha R6] ll [Triumph 955i] ll [Hayabusa RZK3] ll [Suzuki RGV250] ll
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

natv4
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 01:03 - 31 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful about strapping large bags to the back of your bike. Ensure that it will not fall off the back and be bungeed into the rear wheel. This has happened to me, though luckily I realised as it slid and managed to grab hold of it. If I hadn't, it would have wound up in my back wheel.

Ferries are always cheaper than the tunnel.

I just got my ferry tickets, 1 month in france, for £46 return. It would have been £42 had I booked it 2 weeks ago. Leave early (before 6am) and arrive back late (after 9pm) and you will get cheap tickets. My favourite dover/calais is www.seafrance.co.uk
Tickets are also cheaper the further in advance you book. I could have got £42 for peak time tickets 2 mths ago.

Don't forget to work out how much petrol costs when choosing a route. I would rather spend an extra £100 on a ticket, save a £100 worth of boring motorway miles and spend my time on the continent.

Don't take a rucksack if you can avoid it. It will take a large part of the pleasure away from long distance miles. Tank bag is a must. Throw over paniers if you require more space. Tail packs and bags strapped on are a last resort IMHO. If you have to take a ruck sack, pack it light. Everything heavy in the tank bag.

As others have said, pack light. A wise friend once said: "take half as much stuff and twice as much money as you think you'll need." That has been words to live by on every trip I have ever undertaken.

So long as you are over 18, you should be allowed to drive on the continent.

The nicest parts of france are a fair way from the ferry ports, maybe worth heading for Belgium/Germany depending on what you are after. The Nurburg ring has a few nice roads near it, half the length of england away from the ferry port.

Good Luck! I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Jamie.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:44 - 31 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick.H wrote:
How old are you?

Nick

18, 19 in august

Thats some good advice natv4 and much better prices with that company, thanks a lot Thumbs Up

Keen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:01 - 31 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd advise against taking camping stuff if possible. I can see the logic in bringing it, but I did a 4 night trip last summer and the amount of stuff we had to bring is rediculous. Its surprisingly hard to find somewhere free to camp when you dont know the area... proper campsites cost us maybe 10-15 euros for a night (for 2 of us), whereas cheapo french motel rooms can be had for 29 euros a night, the cost difference is minimal and the benefits are huge Thumbs Up

My new philosophy is camping is great for a weekend (1 or 2 nights) but much longer and the hassles outweigh the benefits.

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 15:15 - 31 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think camping makes more sense when you aren't riding 2-up. Half the space with twice the amount of gear is never a good thing on a bike.

Keen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:24 - 31 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

maurice wrote:
I think camping makes more sense when you aren't riding 2-up. Half the space with twice the amount of gear is never a good thing on a bike.

yeah thats a good point Thumbs Up With my girlfriend on the back, it limited luggage options quite a bit (also her idea of 'essential stuff only' differed quite a bit from mine Smile ).
To be honest it made me more nervous about camping as well. If it was just me and some mates I'd feel alright pitching the tent just off the road, but on that trip I was kind of responsible for the both of us, so I ended up being more cautious and using proper campsites.... not that they're much better. There was a particularly freaky one near Ajaccio, huge place yet completely deserted with a three-legged dog scratching at the tent all night, it was like the start of a bad horror movie...

camby
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 10:04 - 01 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about getting the ferry from Fife to germany i think it goes to, its called the Superfast(takes ages though) and im sure its fairly cheap especialy if you consider your saving yourself driving from stranraer or liverpool down south!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 335 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1