Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

next summer, plans

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 16:22 - 30 May 2006    Post subject: next summer, plans Reply with quote

Planning next summer's trip.

Looks like we're going to do the Portsmouth - bilbao (Or Santander) ferry, then meander along the France/Spain border thru the Pyrenees, and via Andorra, to the Med...
then Up roudn the med, into the Alps, swinging into Italy, and perhaps Switzerland, before blatting back across northern France to get the ferry back via Calais.

Anyone had any experience of riding these areas? Any 'must-do' or must-avoid places or routes?

a

natv4
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 01:15 - 31 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must Do's:
Barcelona (just for the bars, funky clubs, and med lifestyle).
Any of the Pyrenese passes.
Andorra, duty free everything (petrol at its cheapest and a whole city wedged between 2 mountains).
The roads near Andorra (I found the best hairpin switchbacks ever! They just kept going on and on. For miles. Lovely blacktop).
Watch the sun rise over the dunes near Montpellier.
Jump into rivers in the Grand Massif (mountains nr Montpellier).
The coastal road between Nice and Italy.
Monaco.
Any of the high passes in the Alps.
N85 (Route Napoleon) nr Cannes.
The gorges du Verdon (just off the N85).
Check with local tourist offices about things to see (waterfalls etc).
Meet locals. Chat to them, find out about them. Ask them what to see.

Must Avoids:

French automatic toilets.
Marseille (France). (Just a horrid dock town (like Genoa).
Genoa (Italy), esp. during/after football matches.

Damn, there aren't many avoids...I guess on a trip such as this, everythings good, even the bad.

I'll post pictures of the above if I can.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Keen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:13 - 31 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

natv4 wrote:

The coastal road between Nice and Italy.
Monaco.
Any of the high passes in the Alps.
N85 (Route Napoleon) nr Cannes.
The gorges du Verdon (just off the N85).

Thumbs Up the roads around the Nice/Cannes area are great, you could spend hours just riding the twisties around valbonne and grasse. Stop for a crepe in Antibes (after riding the coast road round the cap), climb the cliff (dont worry there's steps) at the end of the promenade in Nice to see the waterfall at the top and get a great view of the coast, stop for a look around the prince's private car collection/museum in Monaco.

Watch out for french drivers in the built up areas, they show no mercy (and no skill) Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 335 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1