Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Best books ever

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

tatters
Exxon Valdez

PostPosted: 23:48 - 02 Jun 2006    Post subject: Best books ever Reply with quote

Thanks to extreme3d for recomending "Simon scarrow, Eagle series of books" Thumbs Up

I,ve been reading them in order at work tea and lunch breaks for over a month now and have just finished the fourth book "The eagle and the wolves" and l can,t belive how good these books are and why no one has,nt cashed in and made a TV series like sharpe.

There are very well writen and never seem to have any boring bits plus the way the battles and roman tatics and army life is described is spot on.

https://www.scarrow.fsnet.co.uk/page15a.html
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650 Present:G650XC,C12,KZ750,1190ADV
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 00:16 - 03 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

'zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance'

its sort of accessible cool philosophy rather than much about motorcycle maintenance

tatters
Exxon Valdez

PostPosted: 00:24 - 03 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Siggi wrote:

(about a group of WW2 German penal soldiers).

As long as there better than that penal panzer film with the captured SU85,s

Will get a few off ebay after l,ve finshed the last two eagle books.
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650 Present:G650XC,C12,KZ750,1190ADV
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jay_666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:30 - 03 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin1 wrote:
'zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance'

its sort of accessible cool philosophy rather than much about motorcycle maintenance

this the one? > link

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 00:45 - 03 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah

Kayz
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:41 - 03 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jilly cooper!!

Thats how i got my sex ed! Shocked

Andy C
Tree Seeking Missile

PostPosted: 10:59 - 03 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just finished reading a book by Micheal Connelly - The Closers

It a amercian book (normally hate them with a passion as the language sometimes is very annoying) and was well writting. I would recommend it Thumbs Up

Also read a few by John Grisham and are legal thrillers and can be very interesting about how the legal system works with a good story aswell Thumbs Up

Siggi wrote:
The series by Sven Hassel, absolutely the bollocks (about a group of WW2 German penal soldiers).

Sounds good, think i might look for one of them to read Thumbs Up

Sadie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:11 - 03 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the best book I ever read in terms of it actually changing/educating my views and opinions was Children of the Siege by Dr Pauline Cutting.

Dr Cutting was a A&E doctor who went to Palestine to work with Palestinians back in the 80s.

Previous to reading the book, my opinions about the Middle East situation had been formed by listening to the American and Jewish idealistic view of how Israel should be, and how naughty the Palestinians were for getting in the way of the ideal nation.

This book showed me that their was another side to the issue.

I think, as a result of reading this book, I have always tried to see both sides of a situation before forming an opinion of who's right and who's wrong.

Tarmacsurfer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:27 - 03 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

To this day I'm still trying to understand how on earth Sven Hassel is pro-nazi Confused

I know he's been in trouble in Sweden and Denmark for apparently publishing pro-nazi literature. Having read most of his books (possibly all), I really can't say I noticed it being pro anything particularly, and he sure as hell wasn't portraying any liking or respect for the third reich. He writes about the 27th Panzer regiment (penal), the stories are partially autobiographical we're told. A couple of the books are very good, some of them are not so great.

Wee Eck
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:59 - 03 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenhawk by robert mason
birdsong by sabastian faulks
consider phlebas by iain m banks
any robert rankin books
also agree about sven hassel

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 12:02 - 03 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The S. Scarrow books are very good, I've recently picked them up and they remind me of the Sharpe series, if not quite as well written. The Roman details are very interesting, set in the familiar vien of the military buddy story.

Utterly different genre, but I've just started re-reading Iain M Banks' Culture novels. I didn't quite get them when I was younger, but was bought one while laid up in hospital, absolutely loved it, and started buying the whole series again!

Well worth a read if you like sci-fi, I'm more into military sci-fi, but this series isn't just for the high-brow types!

WavyGravy
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:53 - 03 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

For unputdownablegreatadventureishness I like early Wilbur Smith - Cry Wolf and Shout at the devil really stand out, his later works lost their edge IMO but the early stuff I cant put down.

Non fiction I liked Paddy Clark ha Ha Ha by roddy doyle. great imagery of Dublin and of being a kid - similarly Bob Geldofs autobiography is a good read, but maybe only because I spent 5 years in Ireland as a kid around the time it describes.

another book i have read more than once is James Herberts Fluke - woof woof! LOL ... what its like to be a dog.

Nick Hornbys Hi Fidelity is 100 times better than the film it spawned, but I find his style of writing difficult to read , worth it though

greatmoorred
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 15:39 - 03 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

fear and loathing in las vegas is a very good read.
I really enjoyed On The Road when i first read it years ago.
For educational books try The ancestors tale by richard dawkins, all about evolution.
Or My wicked wicked ways by erol flynn for a good autobiography.

Villers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:46 - 03 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with the above 'Fear and loathing' as well as a lot of Hunter S Thompsons work is a great read.

In addition to that an awesome true life story is 'In harms way'. Its the story of the USS Indianapolis, an american warship that delivered one of the atomic bombs for use in the second world war. It is struck by a torpedo and due to an absolute catastrophe in command is not marked as overdue. 1200 men go into the water that night and the rew spend something crazy like 7 days at sea. I think ive read it about 4 times and everyone Ive passed it onto has agreed they couldnt put it down.

Im also 3/4's way through 'The hangmans tale' by Syd Dernley, again its true life detailing his rise from a miner to a hangman, a very frank tale and very descrptive - brilliant! Thumbs Up

king kong
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 20:44 - 03 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't tend to read to many novels although I have read the Dan Brown books. have read the other 'Code' books also Nemisis Code, Mesiah code and Lucifer Code, oh and have just read The Last Templar.

I like to read auto biograhies, at the moment I'm reading 'Pele'.

Also I did the SAS kick a few years ago. Books about Jet Fighter Pilots I look out for. The best so far is Sharkey Ward's 'Sea Harrier Over the Falklands'.

Tarmacsurfer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:46 - 03 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like aeronautically based autobiogs, look out for a book called "I was a kamikaze". Despite the seemingly oxymoronic title, it's actually a really well translated book, great read.

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 23:08 - 03 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.ereader.com/files/products/000/01/78/19/cover/large.jpg

greatmoorred
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:34 - 04 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read Manfred von richthofen's diary's last year, my dad had bought it about 20 years ago.The 1st world war pilots were pretty brave.20,000ft up with only a leather jacket for protection !!

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:00 - 04 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last book I read was Lonesome Dove.....about 6 years ago? Was bloody good. Thumbs Up

lozzypop1
Certified MILF!

PostPosted: 15:48 - 04 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reuben wrote:
https://www.ereader.com/files/products/000/01/78/19/cover/large.jpg

I've always wondered... if a word in the dictionary was mis-spelt.... how would anyone know? Rolling Eyes

chrisw
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:59 - 05 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably the best book I've read so far.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Steve H
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:30 - 05 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

‘Down and out in Paris and London’ written by Orwell in the early 1930’s it’s partly based on his life experiences in both areas where he lived the life of the poor, deprived and needy.

Pretty depressing stuff but fantastically well written.

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 13:23 - 05 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The world according to clarkson or I know you got soul.

Excellenté

tribal_tiger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:29 - 05 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything by Michael Marshall Smith (or now Michael Marshall)

Please anyone let me know if you've read his stuff as I've never met another person that has!

All of it.

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 14:14 - 05 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Beans Diary
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 330 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2