Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


PC Problem

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

phantomtek
Lil Joe Tek



Joined: 20 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:38 - 14 Jul 2006    Post subject: PC Problem [HELP!] Reply with quote

Right, I put the other HDD I was talking about into my PC, formatted it and put all my music games and videos onto it. This cleared up about 45GB from my main drive and left me happy because I thought it may run abit sweeter than it did when it had less than 2GB free, but alas, the stupid thing starts up so slowly, crashes randomly, net stops working and won't shut down, just gets to the old 'Windows is shutting down' and will stay there for ages. It once stayed like that all night, so I know I am waiting long enough.

This has caused to me resort to 'dirty shutdowns' and I know this is damaging to the PC so can anyone tell me how to make the PC run faster or shutdown right or what is causing the problem. Oh before you say I have defragmented both drives twice over and checked the registry for errors etc.

Would the position of the little cap on the HDD pins make a difference? I've tried it in 4 of the 5 positions. Is it general conflict? Do I have to reinstall Windows?

Any help gladly welcomed Thumbs Up Karma
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

firefox
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:52 - 14 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

try c cleaner it gets rid of all the rubish off your hard drive, then scan it for errors, reg mechanic ect, get rid of all spy ware and viruses this should speed it up abit.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser



Joined: 20 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:52 - 14 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it's ready for a good old wipe clean and reinstall.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

innominate
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:56 - 14 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

maurice wrote:
Sounds like it's ready for a good old wipe clean and reinstall.



Yup

Had loads of windows installs go this way after time.
Could never find out what exactly caused them.
So wipe and start again seem shte only way.

Thanks M$ for wasting another few hours of my life.
____________________
I, as a responsible adult human being, will never concede the power to anyone to regulate my choice of what I put into my body, or where I go with my mind. From the skin inwards is my jurisdiction, is it not? I choose what may or may not cross that border. Here I am the customs agent. I am the coast-guard. I am the sole legal and spiritual government of this territory, and only the laws I choose to enact within myself are applicable.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:00 - 14 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

As stated make sure your drives are set-up as master and slave via the pins. If you need to use Cable Select (usually labelled CS) make sure both drives are set-up for this and your boot drive is the first drive on the cable and the other is using the connector at the end.

However, IMO you may have upset the registry when copying over the games, etc. if you just used copy. There are utilities to do the copy which then update the registry so Windows (don't you just love it Rolling Eyes) knows where to find the files. If you've already used one of these utils for the copy then, as suggested, do a clean up of broken links (I've used 'Find Junk Files', see here but v4 is out somewhere and you may find something better/newer) and use SpyBot/Ad-Aware to clean up the system.

If that doesn't help then as said wipe and reinstall. I know I guy who does that about every 6 months anyhow just to get around the clutter left by MS software Mad

HTH Thumbs Up
____________________
...and the whirlwind is in the thorn trees, it's hard for thee to kick against the pricks...
Gibbs, what did Duckie look like when he was younger? Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

phantomtek
Lil Joe Tek



Joined: 20 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:34 - 14 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right cheers, I will have to get a disc for Windows then from somewhere. I suppose I've backed up all I needed to so it's ok.

I have no idea which way the pins go, but I turned off and disconnected the HDD from the computer and it loads faster but still doesn't shut down, so I think I need to reinstall Windows etc. which is abit gay because I like my PC how it is Sad

Cheers for the information guys, it's a great help. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

phantomtek
Lil Joe Tek



Joined: 20 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:15 - 14 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Siggi wrote:
Phantom, most drives have a wee diagram on them somewhere, printed or etched into the metal, that show the pin layouts.


For some reason this is the only HDD I've ever worked on that hasn't got any markings anywhere. I will take it out and have another look though. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 82 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 1.07 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 55.16 Kb