Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Touring next May- europe for a month *route added*

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

quik_d
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 23:20 - 12 Jul 2006    Post subject: Touring next May- europe for a month *route added* Reply with quote

Hey i'm thinking of doing a solo trip to europe next may, i've never done any travelling but been riding for 5 years. I run it past my dad and he said i should go with someone else and i'm foolish to go on my own in case something happens. Kinda pissed on my fire but maybe he has a point. Does many other people go on their own? I dont have any mates that ride bikes unfortunately otherwise i would ask them.

Cheers

Last edited by quik_d on 20:04 - 23 Aug 2006; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pjb120
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:44 - 13 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a read of nate's (I think that was his username - can someone confirm/ disconfirm this?) blog of a solo trip round europe, it might rekindle your spirits for solo riding.

Personally, unless you've got a close riding mate/s (who rides in the same way + know your going to get on with), I'd ride solo. Riding solo means you can ride where you want when you want + there are plenty of fellow travellers to talk to/keep you entertained whilst you are there.

Don't worry too much about what your dad says - if you feel ready for going it alone + have weighed up the pro's + con's properly, then go for it!

Be sure to get breakdown + health cover just in case something does happen though.

Have fun!

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 13:58 - 13 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've a mate (or mates) who want to go along then a compromise could be to ride solo (i.e. at your own pace and own routes) but arange to meet up at night (or whenever) and spend some time together. That way you avoid the stress of travelling together, it's sometimes a pain to keep checking, but still have the benefits. Best of both worlds.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

UglyFish
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:07 - 17 Jul 2006    Post subject: Re: Touring next May- europe for a month Reply with quote

quik_d wrote:
Hey i'm thinking of doing a solo trip to europe next may, i've never done any travelling but been riding for 5 years. I run it past my dad and he said i should go with someone else and i'm foolish to go on my own in case something happens. Kinda pissed on my fire but maybe he has a point. Does many other people go on their own? I dont have any mates that ride bikes unfortunately otherwise i would ask them.

Cheers

If you have the choice, is always better to have a travel mate. But sometimes is hard to match with the right days off with the right people, so you just have to travel on your own. I've tried both, travelling alone and with another few bikers, in both cases I've wished I was travelling the other way (alone when in company, in company when alone). That means none of the two solutions is perfect... Rolling Eyes
In a few weeks I'll come to UK on my own, I'm Italian, so it's a bl**dy long way...
Going back to the trip you're planning, you have still 10 months to find someone joining you, I bet if you just want to you will!
By the way, are you planning to ride through Italy too?
Fil

Rift.
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:05 - 20 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea im thinking of going solo too...but obviously need more then one person, your dad is correct and so is my bro.

My brother did the same last year with a couple of people from this forum, (Maurice and Mike)

They went for two weeks on their 400s and went all the way down to italy..in the summertime.

They had a great time, thats why i want to go. I have a dr650 at the mo but will be getting a 600 tourer for europe,

Really have to go with someone, Are you still up for it Quik_d??

Anyone else want to travel the vast open Europe? Give us a PM or reply to this post.

The details need to be sorted out quite early if this is going to happen.

Many Thanks
Rift.

Dave_ZedDragen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:01 - 21 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jumping head first into a month long solo euro trip is a bit much and maybe you could get a feel for it first by doing some touring in this country. Theres lots to see and enjoy yet you still have the advantages of not being too far from home if a problem arrises. It would help give you an idea of some of the potential troubles and problems you could face, it also gives you an idea as to what equipment you really need to pack and take with you, also how to pack and stow your luggage.

Remember all problems are made worse if your on your own in a foreign country, where you arent sure of the local customs and language. Remember that it is mostly something you didnt anticipate or even consider that will go wrong.

Do you really think your ready? ....to go touring solo around europe for a month???

Do you have the riding skills, life skills and researching skills, the experience, knowledge of europe countries and local customs, some fundamental foreign language skills, practicality for fixing your bike, and resourcefullness for this type of trip?

Only you know the answers to thse questions.

I'd recommend you begin with some small UK based trips, research your idea thoroughly, try to get some biker friends (either through BCF or a local bike club) and try to tour with someone or as part of a group. Get some experience first. Touring the UK and touring with friends can be great fun.

I'm certainly not saying you shouldnt go....just make sure you are as ready and as prepared as you can be. Go get planning and researching and learn all you can about local knowledge and customs, languages, and bike maintenance.

https://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt306/zeddragen/zeddragensig-1.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 04:24 - 22 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

preludedragon is probably right, but if your bike is fairly reliable and you have european breakdown cover, a mobile, a charger for the mobile that will run from your bike, i would have thought you would be ok

maybe replace some consumables such as tyres, chain, brake pads etc b4 you go

niff5855
Sausage Boy

PostPosted: 08:28 - 22 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm off to France the 1st week in September with a bunch off here mate.

I was in te same boat, none of my mates are into bikes so I put a post on here asking who was interested, you could try that. My only advice would be to take what people say with a pinch of salt as people drop out at the last minute. If you're booking any accommodation/ferry crossings etc.. dont count your chickens until you've got a deposit etc...

For the record, I might well be interested in coming next may, although a month might be a bit ong for me, we'll see.

Anyway, good luck.

Dave_ZedDragen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:30 - 22 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin1 wrote:
preludedragon is probably right, but if your bike is fairly reliable and you have european breakdown cover, a mobile, a charger for the mobile that will run from your bike, i would have thought you would be ok

maybe replace some consumables such as tyres, chain, brake pads etc b4 you go

Good advice that would minimise some of the potential troubles.....a credit card for emergencies would be good too.

Rift.
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:04 - 22 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea thanks for the great information guys...I never really wanted to go solo but i might not have a choice. If i cant find anyone to join me...that is.

it'll be a great learning curve and even though i have been ridin bikes for about 3 years i know im not experienced enough yet (infact im rubbish at riding compared to more experienced riders..)

A credit card will definatly help, along with money saved from months of hard work.

Do you have the riding skills, life skills and researching skills, the experience, knowledge of europe countries and local customs, some fundamental foreign language skills, practicality for fixing your bike, and resourcefullness for this type of trip?

Answer : No, im 19 but have been round Europe serveral times with parents and am quite capable of understanding alot of german and spanish (French is hard) and whilst my speaking is not up to scratch, most European countries have a bit of leway for the English vocab into their culture.

I done a mechanics course on cars for 2 years, and regularly service my own bikes, any way it cant be that hard to stick some luggage to your bike and set off.....

I admit the touring round the UK sounds like a good idea, "Anyone up for a tour of UK?" doesnt sound as interesting as "Anyone want to join me round Europe?"

But if anyone does want to go round the UK im easily persuaded. It'll probably be cheaper, easier and apart from the weather its not much different.

Nath
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:13 - 24 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to tour solo, don't back out just because your family are trying to put you off.

I thoroughly enjoyed my solo tour of spain last year, and am currently 1 and half months into a mamoth European tour, again travelling on my own (posting from gibralta).

I have certainly had times when I would have loved to have a campanion, but a lot of the time I think another person would just be a hinderance.

Rift.
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:59 - 25 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats good to know, thanks.

Your trip sounds amazing, you're going to have to write a post about it when you get back..

Im now thinking of getting a thundercat and first going to scotland and around the UK for a bit, to rack up some miles and get used to the bike a bit.

Then Europe (hopefully on same bike) solo or with people its s not difference.

Thanks

Dave_ZedDragen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:06 - 25 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you rift Thumbs Up

The thundercats were good bikes and only looked down on because it didnt live up to its hype of beating the cbr...but instead it is a very practical and useable road going bike. It also shares many parts with the fazer so that may make things easier if you get into trouble.

Glad that yoour going to get some miles under your belt first with a Scotland/UK tour first.

When you get yourself together with that your welcome to give me a shout as I now live up in Glasgow and if I cant join you up I could at least give you some info and recomendations for routes and accomodation etc.

best of luck Mr. Green Thumbs Up

Rift.
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 01:09 - 26 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent news about thundercat sharing parts with fazer..Its also great because its not too sporty for touring.

Yea thanks I will definatly "give you a shout" when im up north. You sound like a real "sound" guy.

Should be selling my dr650 soon and moving up onto the yzf, then right after will be riding around uk for a week or so.

That reminds me I need a credit card...ummm.....first credit card, errr....?? Thumbs Down Thumbs Down

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thanks Preludedragon.

quik_d
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 23:39 - 22 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragging up an old thread but i've been looking more into the trip and getting certain stuff in preperation. I think i've sussed my intended route now, i'll draft up a map soon and see what people think / suggest. Any input would be appreciated.

Does anyone want to come along? initially I wanted to go solo but i think it might be cool to have a few of us. Rift for one - You interested?

If you can't do the full journey no problem come out for whatever you can.

Either PM me or reply to the thread.

Cheers

Dean

quik_d
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 20:02 - 23 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the intended route, anyone interested at all?

Any suggestions as well?

mark83
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:28 - 20 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just done one myself mate!!

Check out the pics....

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=97828

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:40 - 20 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

quik_d wrote:
This is the intended route, anyone interested at all?

Any suggestions as well?

Count me in , nearer the time , by then hopefully I'll have some time off and an NC30 for it , though I might have to leave you for a day to go near Bordeux to meet a very old friend. And hook up with you in the Pyranees

PM nearer the time for the exact details

either that or I'll agree to meet you at specified points on the trip, since I might want to peel off at various locations.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

quik_d
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 21:53 - 31 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good itchy, initially i was looking to do it solo but i changed my mind and thought be good to have 3 or 4 of us doing it. Get saving Very Happy

Nb
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:05 - 01 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many days you reckon to do this? Shocked

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 19:30 - 01 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive noticed a few people doing a similar route to that including korn

it makes me wonder, is there a special reason i dont know about for avoiding spending much time in france ?

quik_d
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 21:24 - 01 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nb wrote:
How many days you reckon to do this? Shocked

A month, tho i have decided to cut out the loop in spain and go from Bilbao to barcelona then up to france. Keen to have another person if your interested, if can't make a month you could join and leave when u need to,

Quote:

ive noticed a few people doing a similar route to that including korn

it makes me wonder, is there a special reason i dont know about for avoiding spending much time in france ?
France is huge and if i want to sample italy and germany as well i've gotta just go the most direct route through france, which also happens to be the nicest so i've heard. I could start and end in france but then i have to go back on myself, starting in spain means its all one way. plus if other people have done it before then i can pull some tips from them

Thumbs Up

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:53 - 02 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

A month! ,

thats wayy too long gotta come back and work , as said I'll meet you here and there but I reckon I can do that route (the original) in 6 days.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 21:56 - 02 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

quik_d wrote:
France is huge and if i want to sample italy and germany as well i've gotta just go the most direct route through france, which also happens to be the nicest so i've heard. I could start and end in france but then i have to go back on myself, starting in spain means its all one way. plus if other people have done it before then i can pull some tips from them

You could always sail Poole-Cherbourg and then ride down the west coast of France.

quik_d
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 00:47 - 04 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
A month! ,

thats wayy too long gotta come back and work , as said I'll meet you here and there but I reckon I can do that route (the original) in 6 days.

Probably could but wheres the fun in that? Be on the road all day every day not stopping to apprciate anything. I realise not everyone can take a month off work and be paid for it, i can so why not? i'll be going to uni next setember so i'm not going to be able to anything like this for a while after next year.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 149 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2