Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Parking in Cardiff

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

davidimurray
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 10:08 - 01 Aug 2006    Post subject: Parking in Cardiff Reply with quote

Hello

Just thought might be of interest to anyone in or around Cardiff. I enquired about motorbikes parking in voucher parking areas, which covers a lot of the area around cardiff city centre. The reply I had is as follows :-

Quote:

Dear Mr Murray,
Thank you for contacting Connect to Cardiff. I have spoken to the Traffic Department on your behalf and they have advised me that motorbikes are permitted to park in voucher parking spaces without displaying a voucher but they must adhere to the time restrictions. So if the space is for 2 hours then you must not park there for any longer than 2 hours.

Sincerely,

Laura Hendry

Connect to Cardiff
Cardiff County Council
County Hall
Atlantic Wharf
Cardiff
CF10 4UW

Cheers

Dave

Responsible Biker
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:07 - 01 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good result - I guess if you don't ask, you don't get. Keep a copy of your letter should you encounter any less-informed parking wardens...

Valentino Mossy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:59 - 01 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow !!! Your a bloody mind reader !!!
I was talking to a mate in work 2 day's ago and was wondering where in cardiff i could park up and not pay,and he suggested one of those voucher area's, but we were not sure if i had to pay or not !
Nice one Thumbs Up

Any other decent safe places to park bikes in cardiff ?
Other then in hein gerike and walking up !!! LOL Very Happy

davidimurray
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 23:14 - 01 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you seen this :-

https://www.cardiff.gov.uk/content.asp?nav=2870%2C4048%2C4192&parent_directory_id=2865&positioning_article_id=&language=&sortkey=

Which gives the motorbike bays in Cardiff and a map. Personally I don't use them as I work in the university at the end of queen street so I always park there, 2 min from the centre of town with bike parking area and barrier access to cars,vans etc.

Cheers

Dave

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller

PostPosted: 10:35 - 02 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

lilldic_mossy wrote:

Any other decent safe places to park bikes in cardiff ?

There's a decent bike parking bay I used to use regularly that is right near the centre. It is opposite Barclays in one of the side streets.

I asked a traffic warden about the voucher parking and he told me motorcycles don't need vouchers too.
In uni I used the cycle parking on Corbett Road opposite the Music Department. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Mal
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:57 - 03 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's one on Churchill Way (the street that runs away from Queen Street at Virgin and the natwest bank), another on Wyndham Place (leads onto Queen St next to Barclays opposite the Capitol Centre), another on Charles Street (leads out between M&S and Next) and there used to be one on the Hayes, outside what used to be Halfords but not sure if this is still there due to all the construction going on in the old David Morgans. There may also be one at the bottom of Westgate Street (go straight on where it bends right and just before you have to turn left onto Wood Street).

AFAIK, the ones on Churchill Way Wyndham Place have a metal frame to securely chain your bike up to as well. Thumbs Up

Mal
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Flip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:19 - 03 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

lilldic_mossy wrote:

Make sure you use their carpark (it has cctv) that side street is well dodgy. Laughing

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller

PostPosted: 10:47 - 04 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mal wrote:
There's one on Churchill Way (the street that runs away from Queen Street at Virgin and the natwest bank), another on Wyndham Place (leads onto Queen St next to Barclays opposite the Capitol Centre),

Blimey! Mal's surfaced!!!

This is the one I meant, just described better Laughing!
It does have a bar to chain your bike too which is why I quite liked using it, plus the location of it is quite obvious so there are always people looking.

The other place I did like was opposite the old David Lloyds (outside Halfords).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Mal
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:12 - 04 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annabella wrote:
Blimey! Mal's surfaced!!!

Hey Bella! Not as frequent a poster as I used to be, but I'm still here!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bikefreedom
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 00:24 - 23 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been parking this way for 4 years now. I was also told by the traffic wardens that motorbikes can be parked on pavements as long as it doesnot cause problems to pedestrians or does not cause a hazard to anyone. So since then i park my bike dead in the centre of the city centre chained it to a electric pole and have been doing so without any problems from any traffic wardens

MAG
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:30 - 04 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might help

https://www.mag-foundation.org/Parking/Index.php

for parking in the UK.

You can get a copy of the booklet in a handy fits in a pocket (waterproof) of course Confused or tankbag size from 01788 570450 Email: info@mag-foundation.org

There is a small charge for P&P and a donation if you wish.

The MAG Foundation is also looking for updated information on where motorcycle parking across the UK is for the 2nd edition of the booklet.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 240 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1