Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Is It From Riding?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

suzi_bandit
Traffic Copper



Joined: 21 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:43 - 23 Aug 2006    Post subject: Is It From Riding? Reply with quote

I've been doing quite a lot of milage with the nice weather.
Over the summer months I've started to get a really sore elbow on my right arm. I notice it mainly when I'm lifting something and have started to use both arms to support a weight.
A friend dropped in for a coffee earlier and noticed I was in discomfort lifting a saucepan on the hob. He said a lot of dispatch riders get the same thing on their throttle elbows. Is he telling me the truth? I must admit I've not banged my elbow and it really is giving me quite a lot of jip.
____________________
I want a big boys bike, preferably a Speed Triple. To date I have ?7:42p stashed away to put towards one. Need to get it in the bank & earning interest asap.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tarmacsurfer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:36 - 24 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only time my elbow has ever gotten sore was directly after putting it through a fiesta window. Justified in that instance I feel. Clutch wrist on occasion, never the right elbow.

Look at your riding position, sounds to me like you're probably sitting awkwardly and carrying too much weight on that arm /shrug
____________________
I'm immortal. Well, so far.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Marcg868
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:44 - 24 Aug 2006    Post subject: Re: Is It From Riding? Reply with quote

suzi_bandit wrote:
I've been doing quite a lot of milage with the nice weather.
Over the summer months I've started to get a really sore elbow on my right arm. I notice it mainly when I'm lifting something and have started to use both arms to support a weight.
A friend dropped in for a coffee earlier and noticed I was in discomfort lifting a saucepan on the hob. He said a lot of dispatch riders get the same thing on their throttle elbows. Is he telling me the truth? I must admit I've not banged my elbow and it really is giving me quite a lot of jip.


I also have something similar, except its my right shoulder as opposed to my elbow. Frigging kills when i lift stuff Crying or Very sad
____________________
JACK, MISS YOU LOADS YOU LEGEND.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Trixie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:16 - 24 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be that you hit it without realising (in your sleep?) months ago, and it's never quite healed because you use it so much. Question

The point about looking at your riding position is good, as it may help, but I'm not sure your sore elbow has come directly from riding the bike. I must admit I've not heard of anyone I know getting a sore elbow from riding a bike.
____________________
Dead nobodies in company cars...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:43 - 24 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of interest, you say it is sore and you are in discomfort lifting. Do you also find it difficult to grip things? Does it feel like you can't fully clench your fist?

Another thing to check is if you hold your arm out straight with your palm flat and facing downwards, is your hand shaking?


If you have these symptoms then it is possible you have a tendonitis (tennis elbow) which is an inflamation of the tendons in your forearm. This is normally a repetative strain injury (from playing tennis Wink or playing the violin etc) but can be onset by other things like increased strain on the arm - maybe from riding your bike. It's possible you are putting extra weight on that arm and because you are holding the throttle open you are dropping your wrist and so not stretching the tendons.

I have suffered from tennis elbow since I was 12 from playing the violin and tennis. I do find that riding my bike can cause pain, to alleviate this I try to make sure my arm is more in line - so change my throttle grip. You can also try wearing a support around your elbow.
____________________
Avast! Pirates ahoy!
I did Cadwell! Very Happy
www.bikepics.com/members/bella
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:44 - 24 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is a tendonitis, take some Ibruprofin now, and get an appointment with your doctor and ask him to prescribe some "Traxam" or a similar anti-inflammatory gel - works a treat Very Happy
____________________
Avast! Pirates ahoy!
I did Cadwell! Very Happy
www.bikepics.com/members/bella
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

suzi_bandit
Traffic Copper



Joined: 21 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:59 - 24 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's definitely in the joint itself. As I hold my arm out straight it's the upper bit of the joint.
I can grip fine but feel it in that part of my elbow when I do.
Same with lifting, I can lift fine but really feel a strain on the joint when I do.
It's probably just one of those things and I should stop whingeing!
____________________
I want a big boys bike, preferably a Speed Triple. To date I have ?7:42p stashed away to put towards one. Need to get it in the bank & earning interest asap.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sadie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:27 - 28 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like tennis elbow to me.

Thumbs Up
____________________
With experience comes age.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

PsychoHippy
Jammy Git



Joined: 02 Jul 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 04:59 - 29 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to the doctor and get it checked. If it is tennis elbow/tendonitis it can be treated quite easily if you catch it early enough. If you are stupid and leave it ages like I did you could end up having to have very painfull injections or even an operation to sort it (fortunatly the injections worked for me Thumbs Up )
____________________
I spend all my money on bikes and beer, the rest I simply waste!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

suzi_bandit
Traffic Copper



Joined: 21 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:40 - 29 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, after reading up about tennis elbow it seems very likely that could be what the problem is.
Thanks all, I'll have a word with the doctor.
____________________
I want a big boys bike, preferably a Speed Triple. To date I have ?7:42p stashed away to put towards one. Need to get it in the bank & earning interest asap.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jonboy22
Crazy Courier



Joined: 18 Apr 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:29 - 29 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the same/similar type of thing. It's a dull ache really inside the elbow and along the bottom of it. Exactly the same feeling as my tennis elbow. I use Ibuleve gel to sort it out when it gets bad but am looking for a remedy as I don't want to stop riding.

Think it might be due to the vibes as much as anything else. I remeber having some rubber thingy in my tennis racket strings to limit the vibes and reduce the tennis elbow effect, is there anything similar we can do for our bikes, like put rubber bar ends in or something??
____________________
current bike: GSX-R 750 K6 stolen, found the next day in a van in Durham, returned to me 3 months later costing me my NCB and my excess...
last bike: GSXx-R 600 K4 - written off, now converting to track bike Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:32 - 29 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

suzi_bandit wrote:

Thanks all, I'll have a word with the doctor.



Thumbs Up

If you are offered hydrocortisone injections ask to try something else first. Whilst they work for some people on others they are just painful (as they inject right into your joint).

The benefits of a hydrocortison injection can take up to 3 days to show and also (in some cases) there can be a build up of steroid preceipate crystals which can be extremely painful.
____________________
Avast! Pirates ahoy!
I did Cadwell! Very Happy
www.bikepics.com/members/bella
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

suzi_bandit
Traffic Copper



Joined: 21 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:28 - 29 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not severe enough for injections.
It's definitely as a result of riding. I use the bike daily and have had a a good few "pleasure rides" this past month, have done about 3,500 miles Embarassed
I do hold the throttle open with my wrist down. I'll try to adjust my riding so that I don't aggravate it any more.
____________________
I want a big boys bike, preferably a Speed Triple. To date I have ?7:42p stashed away to put towards one. Need to get it in the bank & earning interest asap.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:40 - 29 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some exercises you can do to help as well.

It's not anything to do with the vibrations Jonny, Tennis Elbow and other tendonitis are repetative strain injuries. The little wee ball on tennis racket strings supposedly dampens the vibrations of the strings allowing greater control over spin etc...

It really is a case of changing the riding position and excercising. I have changed my bow grip, am very aware of my riding position and ensure my wrist is in line with my arm, and don't play tennis.

There is an exercise I was given which can help.

Hold your arm straight alongside your body with your fist clenched,
Slowly raise your arm outwards (like you're making a snow angel) until it is aligned with your shoulder.
Release your fist and slowly lower you arm back to your side.

Repeat a few times.
____________________
Avast! Pirates ahoy!
I did Cadwell! Very Happy
www.bikepics.com/members/bella
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

_Will_
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:04 - 30 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Over the summer months I've started to get a really sore elbow on my right arm.

You right handed Wink Laughing

In all seriousness This is good for rsi, i fractured my elbow so i use it all the time or my elbow cracks like your knuckels whenyou put pressure on em.
____________________
Past -Honda qr50 | 2004 Peugeot Tkr s 50|
| 1996 Yamaha XJ600s Diversion|
| 2005|Kawasaki Z750s | | 2006 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer |
|| 1999 Cbr1100xx Blackbird ||
||| 2000 Kawasaki Zx12R ||| (|2009 Street Triple R |) // 2004 Honda Hornet Streetfighter \\|=| 2000 BMW R1100S |=| ------ My Bikepics page ------
Suffering Bike Withdrawal.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:53 - 30 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

vee wrote:
This is good for rsi, i fractured my elbow so i use it all the time or my elbow cracks like your knuckels whenyou put pressure on em.



Jon has one of those, I just can't seem to use it. Bank Holiday Monday Laura, myself Jon and my friend Becky were sitting in our hallway playing with the powerball... we were useless! Laughing
____________________
Avast! Pirates ahoy!
I did Cadwell! Very Happy
www.bikepics.com/members/bella
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

_Will_
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:46 - 30 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you learn how to use it, it becomes hard, putting forces of 40lbs of pressure(i think) on your arms if your using it for wieght trainging, obviosly you wont, at slow speeds it helps rsi.
____________________
Past -Honda qr50 | 2004 Peugeot Tkr s 50|
| 1996 Yamaha XJ600s Diversion|
| 2005|Kawasaki Z750s | | 2006 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer |
|| 1999 Cbr1100xx Blackbird ||
||| 2000 Kawasaki Zx12R ||| (|2009 Street Triple R |) // 2004 Honda Hornet Streetfighter \\|=| 2000 BMW R1100S |=| ------ My Bikepics page ------
Suffering Bike Withdrawal.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:52 - 30 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its really quite a normal thing...I read it on so many other biker forums...best get it checked out to be safe. You may have to invest in some different handlebars to change the way you ride to stop this pain.
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

suzi_bandit
Traffic Copper



Joined: 21 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:28 - 01 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was having a set of tyres fitted I mentioned to the guy at the shop that I was getting pain in my elbow. He said it was a common problem and clipped this little plastic device to the throttle grip. It basically allows you to use your palm to move the throttle and stops you from having to grip it.
I've been using anti-inflammatory gel and I'm hoping that coupled with this new clip on the throttle grip I'll solve my problem Smile
Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
____________________
I want a big boys bike, preferably a Speed Triple. To date I have ?7:42p stashed away to put towards one. Need to get it in the bank & earning interest asap.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dazbo666
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:09 - 01 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had similar discomfort when I 1st started riding, but the pain was mainly in my right upper forearm. I had throbbing tensed muscles in my arm, and occasionally my hand would cramp into a claw position. Shocked
I was given ibuprofen/ibuleve (sp?) and a muscle relaxant at one point, but soon realised it was down to my riding posture, and an amount of "tensing" or as I prefer to call it "death grip" on the handlebars. Embarassed


I think the device that suzi_bandit mentioned being attached to the throttle grip is known as a Throttle Buddy?? (aka Cruise Buddy)
Had a quick look, but not been able to find a UK site for them yet. Maybe that would help?


EDIT: see Throttle Aid Thumbs Up Wink HTH
____________________
1st bike (Sept'06 - May'10) : 1991 GPZ500S / Current bike (since Nov 2009) : 2003 Suzuki Bandit 600N
Word of the day : DILLIGAF
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

suzi_bandit
Traffic Copper



Joined: 21 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:59 - 01 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dazbo666 That's the thingy they put on my bike.
I'm wowed that something as simple as this is making so much difference.
If anyone gets a similar problem I'd highly recommend trying one to see if it helps.
____________________
I want a big boys bike, preferably a Speed Triple. To date I have ?7:42p stashed away to put towards one. Need to get it in the bank & earning interest asap.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 33 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 1.07 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 124.21 Kb