Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Monthly bills

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

syl
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:24 - 02 Sep 2006    Post subject: Monthly bills Reply with quote

How much do you lot pay out each month on direct debits? I'm meant to be reasonably well off, but never feel it! A repair bill of over £3,000 for my car this week certainly wasn't paid without a bit of a wince.

I seem to pay out a fortune each month on direct debits before I even start to think of spending anything on food, petrol, clothes, going out, etc. I have no loans other than a mortgage (but I am only human, I have a small overdraft) yet I am paying out £2,700 every month on direct debits alone - only half of which (£1,350) is the mortgage. Another £600 is accounted for by money that goes to my daughter but that still leaves £750 each month on other bills, such as insurance policies, phones, electricity, gas, water, council tax, etc.

I wonder how I used to afford this kind of stuff - when I started working I only earned a little bit more than that after tax each month (OK, I know inflation has had a small effect).

How much are the rest of you regularly paying out of your wages?
____________________
Current bike: Kawasaki Z750S
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

karen_moomin
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:39 - 02 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blimey, that does seem like a lot to pay out each month!

I pay out £660 per month which covers my mortgage, council tax, gas, electricity, internet, phone bill, mobile phone, food, life assurance, petrol, cat insurance and contact lenses.

Water, TV licence, house and contents insurance, car tax and insurance I pay for annually in a lump sum then it's out of the way.

The rest of my money goes on having fun, savings and investments Smile

I don't know how people live in expensive parts of the country! It must be financial hell!


Last edited by karen_moomin on 18:02 - 02 Sep 2006; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pte1643
Nearly there...



Joined: 07 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:12 - 02 Sep 2006    Post subject: Re: Monthly bills Reply with quote

dmahon wrote:
A repair bill of over £3,000 for my car this week


Shocked Foookin' 'eck.

I could buy a nice car for that. Sad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

JodieWodie
Reflective Banana



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:44 - 02 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My OH and I both work
He does 40 hrs, I do 25

He is well(ish paid), I am reasonably paid

Approx. £1,600 of his wages are eaten up with direct debits each month
We have gone through these DD's many times, and it is all stuiff that is 'normal'
Mortgage, tv llicence, water, gas/elec, mob phone, sky tv..

The ONLY luxuries we have are sky tv, and nice meals (in the house I mean..not eating out !!

That leaves us a bit... but not tons, of money to last the month out
Basically what is left of his wages are for spends... all of my wages go on kid stuff and shopping each week
And that is my money gone

It astounds me how people manage on a 'normal' wage these days

My OH is on quite a lot, but if he was on..say £7/8 an hour, we could not cope !

We are not living in a fancy house.. it is a terrace
We don't go out. And we don't fritter money away
Seems to me that other 'dodgy' people do better than us

We have overdrafts and 1 credit card, and we could not cope without these, as things happen in life
Example..
my card is written off. £300 to buy a new car in 1 week before hire car goes back
No car = no work = no money coming in for me

Many are the times we have just sat here, scratching heads, trying to trim down the spends
All we can do is cut off sky tv and buy value food
But.. we both WORK !
What the hell pleasure would we have left ??? Work, cr*p tv, cr*p food... who the hell wants that !!?? Exclamation

I always recall the Savage Garden song lyrics "I believe the struggle for financial freedom is unfair"..
damn right Thumbs Up
Hard working people seem to get nowhere these days
Scroungers flourish

Oh... and they are putting gas/elec/car ins up. Great.
Be eating beans soon Mr. Green
Gotta laugh eh ??

Jo xxx
____________________
Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

_Will_
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:58 - 02 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broadband £17.99..................................... Laughing
The rest is gf stuff, bikes and random shite Laughing
____________________
Past -Honda qr50 | 2004 Peugeot Tkr s 50|
| 1996 Yamaha XJ600s Diversion|
| 2005|Kawasaki Z750s | | 2006 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer |
|| 1999 Cbr1100xx Blackbird ||
||| 2000 Kawasaki Zx12R ||| (|2009 Street Triple R |) // 2004 Honda Hornet Streetfighter \\|=| 2000 BMW R1100S |=| ------ My Bikepics page ------
Suffering Bike Withdrawal.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Dragonfly
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:19 - 02 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate paying for stuff like loans and credit cards, thats why i dont have any. If you dont got the money dont buy it i say.

At the moment i am staying with family but soon i will have rent,electricity and food again. Thats about it.

My bike is bought and paid for and so is the insurance.

Easy Mr. Green
____________________
All the breast.
Muzza on Binge:
He's too busy beating the everloving shit out of Lizzie to notice this thread has taken a turn down Drama Avenue and stopped off at the popcorn shop.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

JodieWodie
Reflective Banana



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:32 - 02 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

dragonfly wrote:
I hate paying for stuff like loans and credit cards, thats why i dont have any. If you dont got the money dont buy it i say.


Easy enough said... but not as easy in real life sometimes

I ALWAYS, always had the same opinion as yourself, .. mainly when I was well-off with my ex, and my Daughter and I wanted for nothing
"No cash ?.. go without"
I did not have any debts until I was left single... and after that time

I am better off than most though... I have a small credit card and overdraft
Some people get seriously under !!

Things can, and do, crop up
With kids, pets, motor vehicles, etc.. things can sometimes be un- predictable
Everyone hits hard times, and I would rather pay for something on the credit card and then pay it back at a later stage

It's a fail safe
____________________
Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dragonfly
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:59 - 02 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been in debt before and it is easily done. Thats why i cant get credit now and am glad, if i pay for stuff in cash then thats it over and done with. If i cant then i do without. I dont have kids so thats probably easy for me to say.
____________________
All the breast.
Muzza on Binge:
He's too busy beating the everloving shit out of Lizzie to notice this thread has taken a turn down Drama Avenue and stopped off at the popcorn shop.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Marcg868
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:21 - 02 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Total Outgoings each month

Mobile Bill: £35- £75

Loan: £120

Keep DD ito mum's account £140

And thats it from a 1200 a month job, so £865 to spend on bike, clothes, vinyl, going out. Very Happy
____________________
JACK, MISS YOU LOADS YOU LEGEND.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

john2
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 25 Mar 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:34 - 03 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

£35.99 on Insurance a month Very Happy Will go down to £34.99 next month with my 1 years no claims!!!!!!!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

cqueen
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:28 - 03 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Siggi wrote:
Rent and bills are the only out-goings here, absolutely zero debt. It'll be a cold day in hell before I pay interest to anyone. If I can't pay cash I go without.


What if its 0% finance?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dragonfly
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:32 - 03 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Siggi wrote:
Rent and bills are the only out-goings here, absolutely zero debt. It'll be a cold day in hell before I pay interest to anyone. If I can't pay cash I go without.

Thats the only way to be! Thumbs Up
____________________
All the breast.
Muzza on Binge:
He's too busy beating the everloving shit out of Lizzie to notice this thread has taken a turn down Drama Avenue and stopped off at the popcorn shop.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 33 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 1.47 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 79.38 Kb