Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Concerning Speed

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:32 - 07 Nov 2006    Post subject: Re: Concerning Speed Reply with quote

bazza wrote:
Mockey wrote:

From reading your posts you kind of remind me of this guy...

I believe this is they guy you mean...

https://www.reddwarf.co.uk/deck06/images/image_bank/5-4l.jpg

oh look bazza's got a little mocking pal. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Didge
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:39 - 08 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite obviously, Walloper is one of those simple types who believe everything the government say.
The government says "Speed kills", so Walloper believes it. Bless.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Krakatoa
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 03:20 - 09 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first problem here, is the majority of us are biased. Here`s the acid test, replace speed with guns. How many of us are prepared to defend those?

The guys fighting the law are kind of taking the piss too. Laws are there to remind us etc. Like a friend saying `I wouldn`t do that if i was you`. Most of us, as biker`s, ignore our friend. Choosing to tazz off down the road. As the saying goes, don`t do the crime if you dont want the time.

The only way forward with a speeding policy, is zero tolerance. This will never happen mind you(too many police people enjoy speeding too Very Happy ). Speeding is also an easy target to pick on.

Thankfully, as bikers, we`re slipping further under the net as bikes get better and faster. We`ll still get picked on now and then, as most people don`t understand us, and also we`re a minority.

So, don`t worry about the powers that be, worry about quietly, constantly taking the piss instead Laughing .

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:58 - 09 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didge wrote:
Quite obviously, Walloper is one of those simple types who believe everything the government say.

Nothing Obvious about me at all my podgy pal.

Simple I may be. My therapist told me to see her only once a month.

A more 'Complex' type like yourself may need to be admitted... Razz

Muwaaaaa Haaaa haaaa haaa........

dew
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:25 - 09 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

SPEED NEVER KILLS. It's the way you stop that may kill you! Twisted Evil

Didge
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 16:11 - 09 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walloper wrote:
Didge wrote:

Nothing Obvious about me at all my podgy pal.

Simple I may be. My therapist told me to see her only once a month.

A more 'Complex' type like yourself may need to be admitted... Razz

Muwaaaaa Haaaa haaaa haaa........

I'm neither podgy nor your pal, and your pathetic attempts at humour do nothing to prove anything other than the fact that you know nothing about the facts concerning speeding and RTAs.
Thus you blindly follow the Government lie that "speed kills".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mockey
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:56 - 09 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

here here! Thumbs Up

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:21 - 09 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I'm neither podgy nor your pal, and your pathetic attempts at humour do nothing to prove anything other than the fact that you know nothing about the facts concerning speeding and RTAs.
Thus you blindly follow the Government lie that "speed kills"."

Fatty Old Wrinkley Knob or whatever you wish to be known as, you have dared to question the wisdom of a superior being.

That last "attempt" at a retort by you has made be think carefully about this speeding thread.

Looking over the facts again I conclude two things.

Speed Kills!

You can't see the wood for the trees.

Are you still here Mockey ya PLEB?

Didge
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:27 - 09 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walloper wrote:
"I'm neither podgy nor your pal, and your pathetic attempts at humour do nothing to prove anything other than the fact that you know nothing about the facts concerning speeding and RTAs.

Fatty Old Wrinkley Knob or whatever you wish to be known as, you have dared to question the wisdom of a superior being.

That last "attempt" at a retort by you has made be think carefully about this speeding thread.

Speed Kills!

Rolling Eyes Oh dear!

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:47 - 09 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didge wrote:
Walloper wrote:

Speed Kills!

Rolling Eyes Oh dear!

Forgot to say nice Avi....
Laughing

Mockey
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:26 - 09 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walloper wrote:

I'm not going to carry this one by feeding the troll Confused however I would be interested in knowing if you actually know what a Pleb is...

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 21:38 - 09 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krakatoa wrote:
The first problem here, is the majority of us are biased. Here`s the acid test, replace speed with guns. How many of us are prepared to defend those?

Personally, yes.

Krakatoa wrote:
The guys fighting the law are kind of taking the piss too. Laws are there to remind us etc. Like a friend saying `I wouldn`t do that if i was you`.

I think that is really a major issue. Limits have been ignored for decades, and there existance has only been tolerated by many because they were ignored. The police often treated them as a proxy : "your were driving badly, but 40 in a 30 is easy to prove and will do". Now it is being used as the actual offence, when much of the time it is irrelevant.

All the best

Keith

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:41 - 09 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do speed and stopping distance have in common?

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:01 - 09 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do speed and stopping distance have in common?

That is my argument concerning speed.

It can't be altered.
At 40 you travel further before stopping than at 30, 20, 10, 5 etc.

The government's stance is based on sound evidence that excess speed increases a drivers TIME to come to a halt and therefore the distance. It is the extra distance that people are caught in.
If we ignore over-speeding and don't have proper control. We end up driving like Africans, Arabs or Asians.

Have you seen their cars?
Bashed to bits.
Something to do with speed there.
If you drive at 5mph you will have time to stop.
If you drive as fast as you can when will you stop?

This speed scamera antidisestablishmentairianism crap I read on bcf is just the usual non conformist am a big hairy biker revolutionary type and do as I think fit stuff.

Speed cameras and other speed control is not going to go away my learned (and unlearned friends).
If anything it will become tighter.
Because humans by nature do not behave well in society.
They push the limit.
Evolutionary/Darwinian or what ever it's related too.
Government or Big Brother hasn't much to do with it.
Easiest tax in the world to avoid if it is a tax you can avoid.
DO NOT SPEED (Get Caught) and you will not have to suffer Speed Tax.

Mockey m' old Sherbet Fountain, I know what a PLEB is..

You are one!!! Razz
The spell checker offered 'PLEB' in place of mockey.
Cool......

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 22:08 - 09 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walloper wrote:

That is my argument concerning speed.

It can't be altered.
At 40 you travel further before stopping than at 30, 20, 10, 5 etc.

It can be altered, because if you are looking where you are going and doing a speed you are comfy with then you are likely to see the reason that will cause you to need to brake earlier. Force someone to go slower and they will use spare attention (and more) to tune the radio, talk to the kids, digitally extract their nasal passages, grab some sweets (hopefully not using the same fingers), do some ISFing, etc.

This is why speed limits have been traditionally set at thr 85th percentile speed. The speed that 85% of drivers would keep at or below in free flowing traffic. It is acknowledged that setting the speed limit above [i]or below[i] that level increases accidents. Unfortunatly the current obsession with speed is leading to reduced limits which will cause more accidents.

All the best

Keith

Mockey
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:27 - 09 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walloper wrote:
We end up driving like Africans, Arabs or Asians.

I thought you were a narrow minded arse, but now apparently a racist one too Confused

Walloper wrote:
Mockey m' old Sherbet Fountain, I know what a PLEB is..

You are one!!! Razz
The spell checker offered 'PLEB' in place of mockey.
Cool......

Listen mate just fuck off will ya, nobody agrees with you because you sound like some kind of 'yes man' politician. Your not backing up any off your claims with accurate evidence or statistics so please just stop talking bollocks. I'm all for a good debate, but between educated people who know there stuff and not with mis-informed arse holes like you.. Middle Finger

rant over

natv4
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:10 - 10 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walloper wrote:
We end up driving like Africans, Arabs or Asians.
I like debates, but I think that people whom wish to display narrow minded, racist thoughts would be better off frequenting one of the many boards dedicated to this. This is Bike Chat Forums and as far as I am concerned your rediculous and pathetic ideas of this nature are unwelcome. I don't come here to read this crap. If you do not wish to discuss relative things, go off-topic and better still off board.

Back to the speed theory, Bike magazine has published figures by the governments own agency which report speed to be a contributary factor in less than 5% of RTC's. It would seem the facts are not supporting your argument at present.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:11 - 10 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
This is why speed limits have been traditionally set at thr 85th percentile speed. The speed that 85% of drivers would keep at or below in free flowing traffic. It is acknowledged that setting the speed limit above [i]or below[i] that level increases accidents. Unfortunatly the current obsession with speed is leading to reduced limits which will cause more accidents.

All the best

Keith

So you'll take your chances with the 15%?
Numpties who possibly should not be in charge of a vehicle due to an inability to judge when their speed/level of coherent consciousness is not appropriate to driving conditions.

Which gets us back to why we have speed limits.
The speed limit is set to protect us from the slowest in the class.
If it were set to the fastest then lots of folks would not qualify.
(Reaction times to slow to compete.)
We have the old Human Rights issue to contend with.

And I refuse to believe that EVERYONE of the 85% have 100% attention 100% of the time they're driving.

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:36 - 10 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Natv4
Me racist? Shocked
I was not being racist.

If you live in those countries you will probable be told by a whopping great majority of THE INDIGENOUS peoples that, unlike UK, it is dangerous to be on the road there.

No real driving tests or standards with very little worthwhile law enforcement.

And ego has a part in it too.

Racism is: (wikidpeadia)

Racism is commonly defined as a belief or doctrine where inherent biological differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, with a corollary that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others. [1]

The term racism is sometimes used to refer to preference for one's own ethnic group (ethnocentrism),[2] fear of difference (xenophobia), views or preferences against interbreeding of the races (miscegenation),[3] and nationalism,[4] regardless of any explicit belief in superiority or inferiority imbedded within such views or preferences. Racism has been used to justify social discrimination, racial segregation and violence, including genocide.

The term racist, when used to describe someone who supports racism, has been a pejorative term since at least the 1940s, and the identification of a group or person as racist is nearly always controversial.

Be sure of what you are talking about before making any accusation you toaly.

I was NOT being racist. I did not decry the people's creed, colour or belief.

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:37 - 10 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mockeeeeeee.......... Laughing Laughing Laughing

Mockey
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:02 - 10 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walloper wrote:

Fine then... your just an arse

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:15 - 10 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mockey wrote:
Walloper wrote:

Fine then... your just an arse

Can you please mind your OWN business you donkey?

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 11:20 - 10 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walloper:

Can you provide us with any documentary proof that enforcing the current speed limits with cameras is making the roads safer than they used to be?

Can you demonstrate to us with evidence what percentage of accidents were CAUSED by speed?

There's a whole load of reports and research that has been carried out by universities, independent organisations as well as government agencies themselves, all of which have conclusive proof that the speed-camera system does Not save lives, nor reduce accident statistics. Indeed, in many cases, the presence of a camera has made the situation worse.

The government will not recognise these facts, because they do not wish to appear foolish for pursuing this avenue so intensely, nor do they want to lose the revenue from the cameras.

IF cameras are so effective, then why are they making money?

as far as the government's claims regarding cameras and speeding:

a camera reduces the incidence of speeding, ergo the camera should generate less and less revenue over time.

This is known to be wrong. Cameras are Not reducing the incidence of speeding.

Enforcing speed above all other factors, including driver education, is doing more damage to our driving safety than anything else. The more we do to take away control and decision making from the drivers, the more lazy they will become. We need to make drivers MORE aware of what they are doing, not have systems in place to do it for them.

A perfect example is GPS systems.. many cars have ended up stuck in a deep ford in somerset, because the GPS told them to go that way. They ignored the signs, they made no decisions.. they followed the instructions blindly. yes, there is a road there, but is it appropriate.

equally, yes, a speed is specified, but is it appropriate.

To take your argument to it's logical conclusion, we'll eventually need speed limit signs at every bend, at every corner.. after all.. we can't afford to have people driving along country roads at 60mph.. what if they come to a bend? We'd better tell them that when they come to a bend, they should slow down a bit.

I've never met such a naive attitude to cameras and speeding.

yes, inappropriate speed for the conditions is wrong. Blindly enforcing speed limits irrespective of the conditions and circumstance is equally wrong.

a

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:42 - 10 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not take it all so literally feef.
I am aware that we need more education than legislation.
But will you go and do the extra time & 'pay' to learn how to drive safely? Yes? No?
I bet few people would.
Most folk do not think of road safety much.
They get in the car and drive to where ever.
If they have an accident enroute the old insurance covers it.
1st thing they think of is the no-claims discount.
Not 'How can I improve my driving?'

More police on the roads to control speed, I do not think, will ever be an option.
And though cameras are NOT the solution for every site,
there are places where cameras do help prevent speed related accidents.
I think 100 bloody useless speed cameras cost less than the life of someone's kid.

We drive like morons.
So we are treated as such.
It is only control to a small degree.
You exagerate on the bends matter.
But I sse your point.
I do not wish to be 'ruled' off the road but current behaviour is dictating this.
Perhaps we need to modify the complaint to:

Cameras should be used in only in places which will benefit from static speed enforcement.

And for those who have requested:
The North East (N'Castle) camera partnership have 'personally' assured me that government makes no profit from speed cameras.
The revenue is channeled back into the program to promote road safety. Not only through cameras but EDUCATION.....

And....
I can drive past a speed camera WITHOUT looking down at my speedo for the whole time it take to pass the 'danger zone'.
I can't remember being told to look at my speedo to control speed.
I allways thought you use the speedo only to check perception.

natv4
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:55 - 10 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walloper wrote:
Natv4
Me racist? Shocked
I was not being racist.

If you live in those countries you will probable be told by a whopping great majority of THE INDIGENOUS peoples that, unlike UK, it is dangerous to be on the road there.
You could argue you were not intentionally being racist, or that you didn't mean it as it sounded. From what you wrote, you simply described all Arab, African, and Asian people as speeders whose cars are full of dents. You never mentioned anything about them not living in this country. You need to be more specific. Please use one of the above defences and restore my faith that although mis informed, you are in fact a reasonable human being.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 173 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3