BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Using my Student Overdraft on a Ninja?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 15:58 - 21 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Zx6 is going to cost alot to run in terms of tyres, fuel, oil, C&S. Sit down and work these out compared to a more commuter based bike. Perhaps with slightly less power. Will you be happy to compromise some comfort for extra speed/handling?

I can run a GPZ500 on £100 a month just doing fuel and oil. That's 2000-2500miles a month though. Tyres, C&S and anything else you can think of are also cheaper. I'm not saying go for a GPZ, but perhaps something that's a bit more economical than a ZX6 would be worth looking into?

Also take into account that all the thing's that have gone wrong with your GS will go wrong with your ZX at some point, so it will need preventative maintanence/ repair.

P.S. I realise this is all obvious stuff but I didn't realise how much money and time would be required until I started doing some serious mileage.

Andy C
Tree Seeking Missile

PostPosted: 17:11 - 21 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something no one has mentioned yet but what about a bursury.

I get the full £2700 maintence grant as low income, i also get a £3000 loan, of which i gave my Dad £1000 for accomodation and he pays the rest.

However, im also getting a bursury of £1500 from Bath uni, by law if your on full £2700 grant they have to give you £300 but most are much more generous like Bath were as an insentive for you to go to their uni (this bursury doesnt change any "good grade" bursurys or awards for being a good student.)

This mean im not going to touch the bursery and not touch my savings and come out of uni £1500 up (living off £1400 a simester which is like £120 a week, more than enough and i go out drinking a lot) and brings my savings to £3500....bike time me thinks!!

That means ill be getting over £4k money free from the goverment/uni, maybe you could get something simular?? HERE (go down to drop down menu and select your uni)

TheDonUK
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:21 - 21 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comfort? Im a small and very determined guy, put me on a RR for a daily commute and i will smile...

One thing which my girlfriend mentioned that has been dragging on and on so long i overlooked it... Last november i was taken off my 125 my a minicab driver pulling out, my insurance and the other car that was involved are both claiming from his, so the fault is not the issue, he is taking his time and dragging it out but i have a bike which i will hopefully one day get 1.4k for, which if say i got that in the new year would pay off most of this new bike i am looking for, So i suppose as a last resort that would be a contingency fund... There is also overdraft if i go down the loan route...

I do realise (perhaps not fully) that a 600 is gonna cost more than a 500 to run, go through tires, chains and pads faster and drink more petrol but that is a price i am willing to pay...

I dont have a car or a garage of bikes all i have is my one bike to do everything on, and i am really tired of having a hack, yes i get a smug satisfaction burning off barry boys who have spend 40k+ in my £250 quid shitter but i am a young guy and its like i have to have a 600 sports to get it out of my system.

I want something that i can take a corner on without the exhaust scraping off the floor (or the stand on the other side), i want something that inspires confidence, i want something that is sexy.

I feel like i have the rest of my life to drift off into mediocrity on a divvy or something more "sensible" or "economical" but now not only do i feel i have earned the right to have a 600 (Anyone with enough cash can jump on a R1... weekend warrior style, but to me its the next logical step in my life, which bikes are the main thing therein), But that it is my time finally.

When i am at the Ace or anywhere with fast bikes i notice they are dominated by middle aged guys (sorry) who have the money to buy the bike new, with matching leathers etc... In my heart i know that they would never cherish and enjoy that bike as much as i would (Probably an incorrect assumption there).

I am sick of settling for third or forth best, I want a bike i can be proud of, i dont care if i have to spend all of my money bar what i need for the bare essentials on it, to me it is worth it.

The reason i started this thread was to decide if going into debt was the best way to accomplish this... and i appreciate all the comments, it is what i need, i need people to keep telling me the negatives because i am really wanting to "just do it"... Either way i wont be rushing into this, i will think about it for a couple of weeks.

EDIT: Yes i get 2,700 of my tuition fees paid too andy, and any bursary i could have got would have been about £200-300 quid... Seems you got lucky there, nice one.

Andy C
Tree Seeking Missile

PostPosted: 17:31 - 21 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

What uni you at?? Best to double check and i didnt know about bursurys till someone told me a couple of weeks ago and found out how much i could get.

To be fair, student loans/overdrafts are the best on the market, no interest and can get up to £3k without any real problems (though overdraft)

I lot of my flat mates/friends at uni who are loaded they rents are taking the loan out but to spend on other things as like a interest free loan.

do you have a garage/safe place to store a nicer bike?

If you think you have enough money to, go for it. Thumbs Up

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:47 - 21 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's interest free for a while at least, so if you're confident of getting a decent job once you finish quickly enough to clear it before they start charging you interest, it's free money at this stage. Get a job while you're at uni and you should be able to afford to run almost anything (depending on mileage).

I blew my overdraft getting a bike (far more expensive than I needed too, something cheaper would have done just fine), and then regretted it while I was there, as I was living near the bread line for quite a while when I didn't get a part time job. I don't regret doing it now, but only as I've a job with which I've managed to get rid of the debt before the bank have charged me for it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Stevie B
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:19 - 21 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

pwntifex wrote:
Stevie B wrote:
I'd have spent it on english lessons, lol Rolling Eyes

You missed the 'your'.

No he didn't. Thumbs Up[/quote]
Yes he did. "You're" is a contraction of 'you are', unlike "Your", which is not a valid substitute as it is a form of the possessive case of 'you' used as an attributive adjective.

</Grammar nazi>[/quote]

WTF Question

The reason someone mentioned about English lessons was due to him using "brought" and not "bought".

I was saying the word "your" was not needed in the sentence "i'd have spent it on english lessons lol".

So I don't really get where you're coming from.... Question

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 18:52 - 21 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I do realise (perhaps not fully) that a 600 is gonna cost more than a 500 to run, go through tires, chains and pads faster and drink more petrol but that is a price i am willing to pay...

I'm afriad I can't help you on the side of whether it's worth getting yourself into debt, that's a very personal decision.

Most student's (the people I know anyway) get themselves into debt through drinking/clubbing. I very rarely do this so spend my money on my bike. I think it's worth it in this respect, it's an activity and hobby as much as a form of transport. So perhaps think of it as the bike replacing the booze?

As for running a 600, I think if your sensible with your choices it should be possible to run it fairly economically. Don't buy super sticky tyres that will last less than 5000 miles, make sure it is maintained well so greater expense isnt needed later, and ensure you buy a good bike to start with. Personally I'd look at something that's a bit more practical, although I am looking at the ZX6R and CBR as possible next bikes, along with the Fazer.

pwntifex
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:44 - 21 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevie B wrote:

WTF Question

The reason someone mentioned about English lessons was due to him using "brought" and not "bought".

I was saying the word "your" was not needed in the sentence "i'd have spent it on english lessons lol".

You emboldened the error of 'brought' instead of 'bought' but missed the instance of 'your' in place of 'you're'.

Stevie B
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:36 - 21 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

pwntifex wrote:
Stevie B wrote:

WTF Question

You emboldened the error of 'brought' instead of 'bought' but missed the instance of 'your' in place of 'you're'.

Again, WTF Question

If you had actually looked properly you would see that it was in fact 'gsxrmick' who made the original statement!

You are debating your point with the wrong person as it wasn't me who initially made the comment you are disputing over.

I did notice you had quoted me as saying it but thought it was just a mistake.

HTH Thumbs Up

pwntifex
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:59 - 21 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevie B wrote:

Again, WTF Question

If you had actually looked properly you would see that it was in fact 'gsxrmick' who made the original statement!

You are debating your point with the wrong person as it wasn't me who initially made the comment you are disputing over.

I did notice you had quoted me as saying it but thought it was just a mistake.

HTH Thumbs Up

That's because you replied and said 'no he didn't.'
So I thought I would clarify why, in fact, he did.

As for the misquoting, that was due to your improper quote formatting in your 'no he didn't' post.

HTH Thumbs Up

Stevie B
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:08 - 21 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just confused now.

Can you post how you think the sentence in question (don't even know which one we're talking about now) should look please?...

As how I see it is there is no need to for the word "your" or "you're" to be in the sentence "you should have spent it on english lessons".

Also I didn't even say this in the first place so there is no reason for you to quote me as saying it Confused

What I did say is there was no need for the word "your" to be in there.

pwntifex
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:23 - 21 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

<quote by me>
gsxrmick wrote:
benc wrote:
yes your being very stupid but thats how i brought my zx7r with my student loan, and it was so worth it!

I'd have spent it on english lessons, lol Rolling Eyes

You missed the 'your'.
</end quote by me>

^ That is the quotation.
You then replied with:

<quote by you>
I'd have spent it on english lessons, lol Rolling Eyes[/quote]
You missed the 'your'.[/quote]

No he didn't. Thumbs Up[/quote]
</quote>

But due to the fact that you didn't correctly format the quotes, when I quoted your post it looked like I'd quoted you saying "I'd have spent it on English lessons".

Anyway, shall we give the OP his thread back now?

Stevie B
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:36 - 21 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

We shall seen as I still don't understand whether we are each looking at different sentences or what...... Confused

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 22:05 - 21 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about you both STFU? hey sorted.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Stevie B
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 22:22 - 21 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your equally valuable input to the thread Jon, you're cool. Rolling Eyes

TheDonUK
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:08 - 22 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arguing over english on a chat forum is for want of a better word, retarded.

What would be a similar 600Sports tyre to a BT45?

firg
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 02:54 - 22 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bah screw it, go for it!

You wont regret it for a little while

You can sort it out later™

Whens life interesting if you plan everything out to the last penny/second instead of acting on impulse?

Loz

Method
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:50 - 22 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi matey, keep the GS Thumbs Up

If your just starting uni, i realy wouldnt go blowing your allowances so free-ly. You dont know how much your going to spend up there, you dont know what your going to have to pay for, you just dont know. And if you've thrown your allowance out on a bike, your gona find yourself kind of stuck me thinks Laughing

I know the GS's arent very pretty, but they do tend to go and go. Ok so mine is currently going around with a grasstrack clutch lever and cable at the minute, but they are relatively easy to fix and parts are stupidly cheap!

You get any other bike and your going to be paying out more if you do a lot of milage.

Personally iwould just ride the GS untill it goes pop (Like i am doing with mine - and i dont think its far off now at 60k Odd miles) Laughing

Its a whole new deathrace - who's GS will pop first, Don's or Mine Twisted Evil Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 194 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2