Headlights on

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 01:22 - 25 Oct 2006    Post subject: Headlights on Reply with quote

Hi

Looks like someone tried to sneak in a change to make headlights on compulsory on bikes in the road safety bill.

https://www.parliament.the-stationery-office.co.uk/pa/cm200506/cmhansrd/cm061009/debtext/61009-0005.htm#06100913000001

About half way down.

Quote:
New clause 27— Daytime running safety lights for motorcycles—

‘(1) All motorcycles used on a public highway shall continuously display a dipped headlight beam and a red light during daylight hours.

(2) Any motorcycle manufactured before 1st January 1973 shall be exempt from the provisions of this section.

(3) Any person riding on a motorcycle which is not displaying daytime running lights and which is not exempt under subsection (2) commits an offence punishable by a fine not exceeding level 2 on the standard scale.’.

Doesn't look like it passed, but a bit of a sneaky one to try getting in.

All the best

Keith

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 01:40 - 25 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

They'd have had a hell of a job getting that through as it is worded because it rides roughshod over a whole pile of specific exemptions in other statuatory instruments. Especially with regard to 'offroad' bikes and mopeds.

All of which would have to be found and revoked before that act could be realistically enforced.

It would also be retroactive, which is something that is very rarely done (seatbelts in cars is the only one I can think of offhand), There are road legal bikes with no headlights which were made after 1973.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 01:47 - 25 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought any bike first used after 1st January 1931 required a headlight.

All the best

Keith

joe black
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 10:04 - 25 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

if its a headlight on issue don,t all new bikes have them on ,eu rules again . two friends of mine ,hornet600/1200bandit , lights on permanantly .

T1z3R
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:40 - 25 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

forgive my ignorance but what problem does this pose for us riders?

doesnt bother me none if i have to have my lights on all the time.

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 11:22 - 25 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

T1z3R wrote:

Apart from the fact there is quite a bit of evidence to show that day-time running lights increases the accident rate for motorcycles?

I do use lights on during the day, but wouldn't you rather have the choice?

a

T1z3R
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:57 - 25 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

the matter of choice is fair enough but i think if the arguement against this is purely because the choice is being taken away then i cant see the need to protest against such a minor thing personally.

if there is a definite link between lights on and higher accident rates then obviously that is a concern but it affects me not if my lights have or have not to be on during the day is all im saying.

krebsy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:45 - 25 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's only because new bikes have the lights on permanently that it's up for discussion. I'm glad that my 2002 zzr still has the lightswitch and the non-digital dash.. Smile. Just need to get a hazard light switch fitted. I can't believe that the bike doesn't have one as standard. Luckilly the Datatool-3 has a hazard light option which came in handy when rescuing Mrs. K. when the car died.

A friend has a kit car and you'd be suprised at what the rules allow. He didn't fit a windscreen because if he did, he'd have to fit wiper blades as well. on the MOT your headlights need to be working, correctly aligned etc. His solution? Don't fit them. Still road legal, just restricted to daylight running.

Same with his normal car. He was using it as an impromptu van for a while so had disconnected the back seats from the mounts. Didn't have time to re-fit them so simply took the seats out. No seats therefore no requirement to have them secure in the car.

K.

1280 x 1024.

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 14:54 - 25 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

T1z3R wrote:
...if there is a definite link between lights on and higher accident rates then obviously that is a concern but it affects me not if my lights have or have not to be on during the day is all im saying.

I think this photo below posted by Yosemity Sam in the Blinded by the light thread on this subject showed the concerns.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/clip_image002.gif

I know the 'blinded' thread was to object to cars having daytime lights but the concept is still valid that a bike with headlight on can be hidden by a following car also with headlights on.
As said
Yosemity Sam wrote:
...don't be too reliant on lights

Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

T1z3R
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:56 - 25 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

never read that thread but that clearly shows it to be a problem that had never crossed my mind before.

gixxersixx
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:21 - 25 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

T1z3R wrote:

The only problem ive come across with using lights during the day is if you hit a bump as you approach a junction the car sometimes thinks youve flashed them to pull out.
pros & cons but its better to have the choice
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

six
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:44 - 25 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

most of the bikers I see have 1 light on anyway! Very Happy lol

It is nice to choose though. Especially during summer Smile

syl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:22 - 25 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

T1z3R wrote:
the matter of choice is fair enough but i think if the arguement against this is purely because the choice is being taken away then i cant see the need to protest against such a minor thing personally.

The argument is that there a number of bikes around that do not have lights fitted but can presently be driven legally on the road they can only be used in the daytime). This would suddenly make those bikes unroadworthy.

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:59 - 25 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some eejit politician thinks they can wangle a bit of legislation like that in? So you can be prosecuted for moving a switch on the bike all the way to the right?! Alternatively, it'll give the police even more scope to pull people - Oh, your tail light is out, we'll have to stop you! Never mind the fact that it might actually be safer with it off. Rolling Eyes

I really do wish politicians would do proper research or listen to truly independent, knowledgeable advisers before creating legislation. Most of the time, the legislation they are creating doesn't even have public support; by the people for the people? Brick Wall Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kawashima
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:10 - 25 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Japanese bikes sold in japan doesn't have light switch since it was ruled in 1998. Also light switch of all reimported/ imported bikes must be removed by seller (to pass MOT). 8 years has passed and now we feel it natural scene. I personally like to turn on the headlight daytime but I feel sorry for whom buys imported bikes cause they must suffer retrofit cost.
====
Correction : I heard from Kawasaki shop that Imported model of kawasaki (ZZR1400, ER-6n etc) are Malaysian version, and they have no light switch, so retrofit isn't necessary.
Regarding other makers, US/Euro versions are popular so retrofit is necessary.
====

Last edited by kawashima on 10:51 - 31 Oct 2006; edited 1 time in total

six
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:46 - 25 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

just another example of how we are beoming a nanny state. Its our lives... and if other road users aren't paying proper attention... thats their fault right?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:40 - 25 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Thought any bike first used after 1st January 1931 required a headlight.

All the best

Keith

Ever been to a six day trials event? All the bikes are road legal, very few of them have lights.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 21:01 - 25 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

joe black wrote:
if its a headlight on issue don,t all new bikes have them on ,eu rules again .

Not an EU rule. Just the bike makers getting together and deciding to do it (saves a few pence per bike).

stinkwheel wrote:
Ever been to a six day trials event? All the bikes are road legal, very few of them have lights.

Road legal as in passed an MOT, or road legal in that they comply with the construction and use regs (or equivalent) from when they were new.

All the best

Keith

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:42 - 25 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Road legal as in legal to ride on the road. Trials bikes are legally exempt from C+U regulations.

Of course, it is almost impossable to find out what the C+U regulations actually are. The government wouldn't want people going around knowing what they can and can't do. You just have to find out for yourself when you do it wrong and get a fine from the vehicle inspectorate. Ignorance is still however, no excuse.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 00:54 - 26 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Road legal as in legal to ride on the road. Trials bikes are legally exempt from C+U regulations.

If you check the MOT testers book it says headlights are required on any bike first used after 1st Jan 1931.

All the best

Keith

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 02:36 - 26 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I recall, it also says they are NOT required on a bike which carries only the rider and is primarily designed for off-road use (by virtue of the frame design or tyres fitted).

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 08:15 - 26 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

No, that exemption applies to indicators.

All the best

Keith

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:18 - 26 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any scientific study to back up the lights on lights off issue?

I would consider under 'normal' day-light circumstances having a dipped headlight on will make a motor bike more visible to other road users.

As normal, there are exceptions and disadvantages to the practice.

The Blinded by the light thread is valid.

But under the same lighting conditions as in the pic I would say the bike would be almost invisible in front of the car if NO light on.

It's like the little niggle the euros have about twin head lights on bike being on together. Bla de Bla de Bla....

They say, "It looks like a car, but far in the distance."

"Oh, does it?"

It's back to the biker.

Drive according to road conditions and you stand a better chance of being safe.

LIKE I ALWAYS DO!

***Usual shower of abuse to follow***

BFG
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:23 - 26 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lights on in daytime makes it more difficult for other vehicles to judge your approach speed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

natv4
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:54 - 29 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under these circumstances, enough opinions and evidence to suggest appropriate use is best, why would we need our government to step in and take our choice away?

I disagree with several recent laws forcing peoples hands. We are all intelligent beings. Why should we not be able to choose appropriate use?

Why should the government nanny us like this? I like my personal freedom, why should someone else decide these things for me? Why should I be fined for disagreeing with someone on an issue like this?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 185 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3