Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

First build custom Honda cm and Yamaha xj 400

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Harley
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 01:14 - 15 May 2012    Post subject: First build custom Honda cm and Yamaha xj 400 Reply with quote

So this is my first post and also my first build, I have been riding bikes since I was about 14 and have so far had 5 bikes on the road ( Legally ) Why is this relevant you say? Well I have been vary unlucky and some could say naive with buying bikes as I am only 18, leading me to have lots of broken bikes laying around the place. A month ago I was donated a 1983 honda cm which had been sitting rotting in a boat yard for years. Try as I might I could not get the thing to run so I called in some help from my friend who has a job in welding.

The initial plan was to get the thing working with the wiring harness and controls in their factory positions, however this was not the case. We pulled the bike to pieces and got it down to the bare frame revealing a hideous re weld through the main section of frame so we decides to make our own frame and build our own bike.

Currently the bike is a combination of the Honda and a 1993 Yamaha xj 400 diversion ( my first big bike which hydrolocked and died Sad ) The frame has been build enterily by me and my friend the engine is of the Honda, folks, wheels, swingarm, footrests, and bars are the yamahas.

Any advice, criticism or ideas would be amazing. Like I said this is our first build and we need a little guidance and support.

https://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee172/harlston_harley/swingarmandshock.jpg

https://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee172/harlston_harley/justaboutrolling.jpg

https://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee172/harlston_harley/IMG_5182.jpg

here are some photos that I took today, as you can see its not there yet but progress has been made, the sub frame needs be measured up and welded, along with the front engine mount.

However finally managed to get the engine fired up today and not only that but had a decent amount of back pressure. one of the pistons doesnt seem to be putting out as much power as the other, and I am not sure why, possible lack of fuel going through the carbs ( as one carb feeds the other rather than direct feed ) or a dodgy spark?

https://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee172/harlston_harley/IMG_5188.jpg

as you can see the bracket for the front engine mount is yet to be finalised. This photo is just to show how we have attached the box section of the frame to the head tube of the Yamaha xj.

https://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee172/harlston_harley/IMG_5187.jpg

https://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee172/harlston_harley/IMG_5184.jpg

here is how we have attached the swingarm and rear shock of the xj, the geometry is slightly off and the angle needs to be slightely further forward as the shock compresses at a rather acute angle causing the ride to be a little hard also putting the frame under extra un needed stress.

https://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee172/harlston_harley/IMG_5186.jpg

this is our bodge job fuel cap, we are needing a suzuki gt250 cap but they are very expensive, if anyone knows of one... would be great?

Last edited by Harley on 01:36 - 17 May 2012; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

adiec
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:33 - 16 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks fookin' A!!! Very Happy Thumbs Up If the geometry is right and it rides well, could you be the next UK bike manufacturer!!!

Harley
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 01:37 - 17 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much! I am a long way off now, but maybe one day I'll be building bikes for a living!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:10 - 25 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks really cool. I think it looks like the body work ruins it a bit too. Also, how heavy is it? Make that out of aluminium and you would be on to a winner!
3 Honda NC50's(Sold)-->'72 Puch Maxi S (Sold, want it back!)--> '90 Yamaha RXS 100 (Stolen)--> '87 Honda Cub 90(Sold) --> '95 Kawasaki Eliminator (Sold) --> '98 Bandit 600 (Sold) -->'07 SV650S (Current)

Harley
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:26 - 25 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

well the reason its all made of steel is because of our jobs and money. I am currently waiting to start my precision engineering job so untill then I dont have any good welders or money Sad but when I start getting in the money I will be making a new frame with better shape and lighter piping! what would you change about the body work to make it more aesthetically pleasing?

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:56 - 25 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to my taste but top marks for having a go. At least the frame should be strong enough that you don't have to worry about using the engine as a stressed member when Honda didn't see fit to.

Forks look a bit banana-ish, or is it a trick of the camera?

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

hazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:52 - 25 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

For me, the tank forks and seat are a bi too cafe racer and the frame too modern fot it. To me with the bidy work on it looks like an 80's bike. Sonething like an mt01 would be cooler but obviously thats mega fabrication. Dont take it the wrong way, its just my thoughts and you have demonstrated your skills far far excel mine already!

Keep up the great work.

Harry
3 Honda NC50's(Sold)-->'72 Puch Maxi S (Sold, want it back!)--> '90 Yamaha RXS 100 (Stolen)--> '87 Honda Cub 90(Sold) --> '95 Kawasaki Eliminator (Sold) --> '98 Bandit 600 (Sold) -->'07 SV650S (Current)

Harley
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 00:10 - 26 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Not to my taste but top marks for having a go. At least the frame should be strong enough that you don't have to worry about using the engine as a stressed member when Honda didn't see fit to.

Forks look a bit banana-ish, or is it a trick of the camera?

The forks aren't bent just a tricksie little camera! But cheers, I appreciate its not to everyone's taste but im glad you see the actual work rather than the whole thing Smile

hazza wrote:
Hi,

For me, the tank forks and seat are a bi too cafe racer and the frame too modern fot it. To me with the bidy work on it looks like an 80's bike. Sonething like an mt01 would be cooler but obviously thats mega fabrication. Dont take it the wrong way, its just my thoughts and you have demonstrated your skills far far excel mine already!

Keep up the great work.

Harry

I see what you are saying. I fully agree that the mt01 style is far cooler for this style frame. the one thing I am worried about on a frame that style is creating the bowl shape for the tank to fit into, also I would need to fabricate a slim lined tank, which would need to ve vigorously tested and checked Sad

also regarding the seat, that wont be used in the finalized bike as its a horrible cut down stock one of the xj (its been sawed in half, not re shaped. then the foam has been once again sawed to create the cafe esqe shape)

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:49 - 26 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best bit is the fuel cap. I like it. It should stay.

Harley
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 09:17 - 26 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenco have really outdone them selves in terms of qaulity, this fuel cap is literally a perfect fit and one of the best I have used! compliments to kenco. Also for you racers on here, saves weight too Wink

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:57 - 26 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 out of 10 to you for having a go and getting so far Thumbs Up

Constructive critism : Shocked F*ck me that is one serious frame you`ve made there, Shocked .
Could you not attatch the rear mudguard to the swinging-arm?

Keep up the good work. Thumbs Up

Harley
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 10:34 - 26 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

the rear mudgaurd? we havnt put one on it yet... the ominous black shape is a pit bike fuel tank to hold the seat in place so you can see the shape of the bike a little more. However the mud gaurd will be attached to the wingarm Very Happy

orac
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:34 - 26 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

if your gonna register it how do are you gonna about getting a vin and registration sorted.

nice so for tho

Harley
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:28 - 26 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest I am not really sure, I dont know anything about how to legalize a custom bike I have all paper work for both bikes used but I dont have a clue....I do have the intention of getting it on the roads though!

orac
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:59 - 29 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

well it will have to gthrough an MSVA for starters
https://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/BuyingAndSellingAVehicle/ImportingAndExportingAVehicle/DG_071781

worth a quick read too.
https://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/BuyingAndSellingAVehicle/ImportingAndExportingAVehicle/DG_071781

it may be worth while giving the dvla a call and see where they stand on it

Harley
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:09 - 29 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one mate. doest seem too hard Confused I will give the dvla a call and see where they stand on the matter, I need to know what kinda requirements I have to meet really....

CHR15
Turbo nutter bastard

PostPosted: 23:01 - 30 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
doest seem too hard

ahahahaha.

you have no idea.

to give you an idea, the msva manual is thicker than the yellow pages.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:58 - 30 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this would work today, but the old trick would be to use the headstock from the CM, because that's the bit with the VIN number.

Then all you need is a friendly MOT man and all you've got is a Honda with a simple monoshock conversion Wink

Harley
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 09:48 - 31 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigger than the yellow pages Shocked as you can see I have not thought this out, maybe this can be a slow un racey, track bike.... or not.

also about headstock, this may be a stupid question, but could I just print on the number to the new one?

Nisp
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:55 - 31 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Afraid thats illegal to my knowledge.

Nope.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:16 - 31 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harley wrote:
also about headstock, this may be a stupid question, but could I just print on the number to the new one?

You could, but if the police where to stop you then you'd be in for a world of pain (Mis registered vehicle etc. resulting in confiscation and a fine running into the thousands). BTW, the process of transferring one vehicles ID onto another vehicle is called Ringing.

With regards to the MSVA, the amount of work you'll have to do to get it through will be astronomical. I've done car IVA's before and they're a pain in the butt. Never done a bike one but I've heard that they're just as painful.

orac
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:54 - 31 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

these difficulties may be the reason that you dont see kit bikes any where as often as you do kit cars.

i ahve always wondered about self built bikes, hense why i had a good idea wehre to get info on it. been trying to fine a copy of the MSVA manual.

Nope.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:52 - 31 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

orac wrote:
these difficulties may be the reason that you dont see kit bikes any where as often as you do kit cars.

i ahve always wondered about self built bikes, hense why i had a good idea wehre to get info on it. been trying to fine a copy of the MSVA manual.

To be honest, putting a kit car through an IVA is much more of a pain then it used to be. (The SVA was a little easier, and of course before that they pretty much just gave you a reg. number). I can't imagine putting a bike through an MSVA is any harder then putting a car through an IVA, its just that 99.9% of people cant be bothered and would rather buy a bike thats already built to handle well/run well/look cool and modify it a bit then spend 4 times as much building one themselves.

Harley
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:06 - 31 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so judging by peoples comments this bike will not be hitting the road. As I have grown rather fond of my pink license I wont be law breaking it on there either. Any ideas what to do/turn this bike into?

Drake
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:01 - 31 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

paper weight?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 333 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2