Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

GK73A

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

CHR15
Turbo nutter bastard

PostPosted: 10:04 - 27 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but there must be a lighter, freer flowing alternative, that extracts a bit more power, at the expense of noise/flexibility?

the only way im gonna get a set of aftermarket headers for this bike is if i make them myself.

or happen to come across a set of yoshi / beet ones
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Blau Zedong This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

CHR15
Turbo nutter bastard

PostPosted: 21:20 - 28 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

new rear disk and pads fitted. still need to bleed the brake. stripped the calliper as well, was full of aluminium fur and shit, needs a complete rebuild in the future, if i dont fit a different calliper.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/533244_10151028819838365_1879383419_n.jpg

flip the rear pegs and you can sit the bike on axle stands if you dont happen to have a rear paddock stand.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/309177_10151028820903365_976759945_n.jpg

also, anyone know if theres supposed to be a mesh in the lhs of the nose cone?

right:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/564286_10151028824083365_1725906047_n.jpg

left

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/405370_10151028822528365_753410639_n.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nope.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:22 - 28 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same with the mesh on mine. Always thought I had some missing, guess thats just how its supposed to be.

CHR15
Turbo nutter bastard

PostPosted: 15:40 - 30 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, today started off good, then went rapidly down hill.

i passed my car test. yaay.

then lots of stuff in suzuki bags arrived. also yaay.

then i took the sump off and it was full of copper slivers and rtv. not so yaay.

so, looks like the engines gonna need a complete rebuild over winter. i just hope suzuki still make all the shell bearings.

also, theres pitting on one of the gears on the output shaft.

thing is, it sounded okay when i fired it up last week...

think i'm gonna buy breakdown cover lol.

only thing i've managed to do today is foil the tank:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/294580_10151031191238365_1786169156_n.jpg

guess you cant own a 24 year old sports bike and not expect it to be a bit shagged.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 15:53 - 30 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

RE the discs, before you write then off put a bolt though the bobbin and tighten it up should close and tighten it up.

CHR15
Turbo nutter bastard

PostPosted: 15:56 - 30 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

there not loose in that direction, if you grab hold of them from side on, you can rotate them clockwise / counter clockwise by almost 25mm from extreme to extreme.
Blau Zedong This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:55 - 30 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

inb4 my engine died lol thread Laughing

He has a point though, if it runs and goes well... shows good compression and gives you the buzz... Thumbs Up

CHR15
Turbo nutter bastard

PostPosted: 17:57 - 30 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Chris, pretend you never had the sump off, give it a good service and thrash the bollocks off it. It's not made of fine bone china like a ZXR, they can take serious abuse.

yeah.. but.. ohhhhhh

it feels so wrong.

and what happens if it does go... i could be stranded at the other end of the country lol.

it wouldn't be so bad if it didn't know that it was definitely shell material.

ive priced up the bits from suzuki.

with 10% discount it comes to £182.56 for 8 rod bolts, 8 big end shells, 6 upper main shells and 6 lower main shells.

pain in the arse that ive got to split it, to find the shell colours before i order it all.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 18:24 - 30 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the shells are shagged then surely the crank will be too? I thought you couldn't put new shells on an old crank which had been run with bad shells?

Tim..
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:37 - 30 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

All depends on if there is any damage to the crank.

i've seen cranks polish up fine, but I would pastigauge them up to make sure they are still within tolerence. Different shells may be needed.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 19:27 - 30 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

CHR15 wrote:
Quote:
Chris, pretend you never had the sump off, give it a good service and thrash the bollocks off it. It's not made of fine bone china like a ZXR, they can take serious abuse.

yeah.. but.. ohhhhhh

it feels so wrong.

and what happens if it does go... i could be stranded at the other end of the country lol.

it wouldn't be so bad if it didn't know that it was definitely shell material.

ive priced up the bits from suzuki.

with 10% discount it comes to £182.56 for 8 rod bolts, 8 big end shells, 6 upper main shells and 6 lower main shells.

pain in the arse that ive got to split it, to find the shell colours before i order it all.

What about a gasket kit? would be over £100 I would have thought.

CHR15
Turbo nutter bastard

PostPosted: 19:56 - 30 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only gasket I may need is a sump one which is £10.73 iirc.

Can split the bottom end without taking the top off.

orac
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:04 - 30 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

chances are you got it cheap because the seller knew it had issues.

also my gues would be it only needs mains and the big ends are fine. you should be able to do the mains without removing the crank, you may need to remove the cam chain tensioner to allow for a little extra play

CHR15
Turbo nutter bastard

PostPosted: 20:21 - 30 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can I do the mains without removing the crank? Lol

orac
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:57 - 30 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

you dont have to unbolt the big ends, removing the the cam chain tensioner should give enough free play for the old bearings to "rotate" out and the new one rotoate in. that how i did the main on the 400 bandit which has a near idendticle engine.

you still have to split the bottom end. maybe i wasnt clear, you dont have to undo the conrod bolts. pretty sure your 1200 has a similar setup in regards to bottom end. - heck i have seen v8s done without the crank being removed.

this will mean no new bolts, you shouldn't need big and bearings - so all you need is the mains.

but please remeber the critical step is to remove the cam chain tensioner, this allow the crank to be unseated but not removed while still attatched to the pistons.

if you are insistant on doing it by the book do an entire re-build replacing the cam chain while your there

CHR15
Turbo nutter bastard

PostPosted: 22:06 - 30 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

if its coming to bits, its gonna be done proper.

i'll have the crank checked for straightness, get the rods balanced end to end, and to the crank and weight match the pistons.

for the sake of 200 quid its false economy not to replace all the bearings and rod bolts.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:08 - 31 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim.. wrote:
All depends on if there is any damage to the crank.

i've seen cranks polish up fine, but I would pastigauge them up to make sure they are still within tolerence. Different shells may be needed.

You're not wrong there. I took this crank from an engine that had been detonating, and cleaned the wiped-off bearing material off the journal with 1500 wet&dry and loads of WD40, then put it back together (with the owner agreeing and present for the whole process). He then proceeded to thrash it's tail off for another 25,000 miles - turbocharged and carrying a 19 stone rider.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

orac
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:23 - 31 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

i take you you either get more trade discount than me on suzuki parts, or your not going genuine - the last time i ordered bearing shells, it was nearly 160 quid just for main alone.

full gasket set should be around £100, then if we say £200 for mains, big end, all new bolts (main bearing bolts should be replaced once removed) new gearbox bearings (just as well why you are there), then around £50 for a new timing chain plus the cost of having things balanced.

then if we presume that you going to do valve stem seals and giuds too - jsut as well seeing as its all coming apart, 16 at around £2.30 each for the seals, then the wait for delivery from japan for anything that isnt in the UK or even europe.

oh and nearly forget the stupid money suzuki want for the gearbox seals - specialy the one that like to leak - you know the one with the clutch push rod that run through it. all in all its gonna be more like 400-500 quid to do it all if that the way you want to go.

if i had the sort of money that you have been spending on bike, i would chuck the thing back together and sell it to some other sucker - heck if i had 500 quid to spend on a bike, with a little return on my current machine (which is next to worthless atm) i wold by buying another machine instead of taking the risk of an unknown engine.

but that i said, i would split the bottom end before making a final desicion, the the crank looks OK, then chuck some new bearing shells in, check the oil way chuck it back together and thrash within an inch of its life - then start a fresh

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:22 - 31 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

'85 GSXR750 is £850 a pop for mains, £11-ish for big ends, genuine parts. Can't find prices for this bike but I know that a full set of both for a 'busa was less than £200 last time I bought.

Rod bolts I would re-use. There should be a stretch figure for installing them, I guess you could find that out and stick a MIC across them. I'd just re-use them anyway, and make sure you sue anti-seize under the head if you're doing them up to a particular torque.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

CHR15
Turbo nutter bastard

PostPosted: 07:18 - 31 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i take you you either get more trade discount than me on suzuki parts, or your not going genuin

all prices from robinsons suzuki.

total has 10% forum discount knocked off it.

Rod Bolts 12163-32-c00 8 £4.27 £34.16

Big End Shells 12164-04-401-0a0 8 £9.19 £73.52

Top Main Shells 12229-30-b10-0a0 6 £8.45 £50.70

Bottom Main Shells 12229-30-b00-0a0 6 £7.41 £44.46

i may also do 6th gear on the output shaft

6th gear 24361-32c02 1 £76.50 £76.50

its matching gear is discontinued though.

if i end up spending a grand or whatever, so be it. this projects much cheaper than the bandit lol.

Ichy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:22 - 31 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably a few months off but you know where to ask if you need anything measured. Now you have a car licence you have no excuse Laughing

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 09:15 - 31 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if I'm upset you have a car licence...or these tears are from the thoughts of this supreme turbo kit car you are going to build Wink

orac
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:29 - 31 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

well that down to you then.

how ever i have some gear boxes here if you can give teeth numbers and a outside diameter then i can see if you can use a gear from another one of suzuki 400s
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 243 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 3 of 14