Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

The story of my CB550 ratbike - Now hardtailed!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Nath
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:06 - 12 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keen wrote:
Where was that picture taken, the one that you're going to put on your wall??

That's another one of Norway Embarassed Taken in the western fjords, north of Bergen.

big pete wrote:
gotta love those old 550/4s, I had a few when I was a student and they are a great motor.

Yeah, not only are they super reliable but also great fun to thrash. I helped rebuild my dad's engine a few days before I left for my big trip. We were fitting new piston rings as his engine was majorly down on compression, however it still did actually run (just needed to be totally thrashed to get anywhere). We were genuinely surprised to find 3 of the top rings were broken into pieces! Whilst doing this we took the sump off and found the primary chain was flapping around like no tomorrow and eating through the crankcases. When we split the cases to replace it, we found the big ends fairly mullered, and whilst the main bearing shells were okay the crank itself had massive f-off grooves worn into the journals (engine had been apart in the past, presumably someone replaced the crank shells but left the crank). Any "by the book" mechanic wouldn't have bothered putting the engine back together, but we did and with the new rings and primary chain it sounds sweet as. My engine sounds like a dog in comparison. The point is the 550 lump is clearly bloody resilient to limitless abuse and mechanical bodgery!.

alistairhitchcock wrote:
what was the total cost fo the bike?

Bought off eBay for £175 (more than it was worth to be honest, but it was my dad that bought it not me). Barrels+pistons off eBay £35 including postage. Carbs off eBay with postage £30. Pinched an exhaust, petrol tank and rear mudguard off my dad for free. To make the luggage cost about £50 for everything. Other than just consumables such as tyres etc. Had a running road legal bike for £250 basically.

babyyams wrote:
John says are you going to do one on the 750 too.......

I'm not planning anything, but I would not be surprised if it sees some euro-action at some point! We got it home without anything falling off the trailer, and I managed to put everything away in our shed without doing my back in. Just got a haynes manual off eBay this morning, so am going to set to work on the bike. First job is to finish off the complete engine and check the compression. Can't see anything visibly wrong with it so if there's good compression it's going straight in the bike and I'll have it road legal by christmas. If the engine is buggered then I'll have to mix+match parts between them all so would take me longer.

yambabe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:03 - 12 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

He says check the cam chain in the complete engine before you put it in the bike cos the guy he got it off said it was "worn". He never checked to see how bad it was, but it might be worth doing anyway to save you some bother later.

Nath
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:40 - 12 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it's seen some miles, but I think there's a fair bit more life in it yet. Between the two camshafts there's about 10mm of sideways play in the chain. At the point where a boring old fart would declare the chain "worn" and aim to replace it, or where someone like me would stick it back together and keep riding it for another 5years with no problems Smile

Had a quick poke today, the problem is that I spent so much time messing around with the bloody Honda that everything on the Yamaha appears to be done totally backwards. Guess i've got another long winter of cold days and nights spent in the garage then Very Happy

R4nger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:28 - 12 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took you long enough.... Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:18 - 13 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah more pics at last Laughing

Still running good? how do you fancy a pet food run early next month (if its still happening) me tom and maybe others will be going, short run a goodun.. + found a site, £2 a night Thumbs Up near matlock.

Will be interested to see what you do with the yam, what sort of thing are you going to be going for? dr.death style hemaroid machine or squashy ubertourer?

Jenks
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:41 - 13 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris, what? :S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 18:55 - 13 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rookie wrote:
Best post on here for a looong time. Quality read. Thumbs Up

Ditto.

Really looking forward to reading your trip post.

Nath
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:51 - 15 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr.z wrote:
Will be interested to see what you do with the yam, what sort of thing are you going to be going for? dr.death style hemaroid machine or squashy ubertourer?

To avoid confusing others, the bike being talked about here and in previous posts is the XS750 I bought off Babyyam + partner John a couple of weeks back. The cb550 ratbike is a hoot to ride and draws attention everywhere, but I fancied taking on a new project with a bigger engine and more power, which is where the shaftdrive 750cc aircooled tripple comes in. In answer to Mr Z's question I shan't be doing anything extreme with it, instead I aim to get it on the road as easily as possible, then ride it as a "scruffy old unrestored classic".

Rest assured though, my cb550 is going nowhere. It pees out oil at the moment due to a failed seal, but otherwise it runs fine. Just the other week I rode it down to the Ace Cafe in London which was a round trip of about 350 miles.

greenmeanie
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:54 - 24 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

legendary.

Bishbash
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:09 - 24 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wowser, that bike really needed doing! But it looks great. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:10 - 26 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very very Interesting thread!

Well done, with the transformation from a pile of rusty bits, and a wreak of an engine, to a reliable running bike! That in its self is amazing!

I love the new Rat bike direction that your going in with this bike now! The Honda 550/4 like many an old air cooled jap four seems to be as bullet proof as they come!

The scaffolding pipe exhaust is brilliant, and i reckon it's just a square steel plate flange away from being a bespoke turbo manifold too! Now having a Garret T2 hanging off the side of the bike would make it so much more Mad Max style too! And also you could see just how tough the 550 lump really is then too! Smile

shadow1987
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:58 - 26 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm... very nice motorbike Wink

Nath
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:34 - 29 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of months of abuse later and the bike is still running. I had to refit the 4-into-1 exhaust for a couple of weeks of commuting after crashing my other bike, but it's now back with the uber-loud scaffold jobby. Aside from the ridiculous oil leak I also have a knackered clutch, but this really works into my hands as it enables me to slip the clutch at will making massive amounts of noise due to the straight through pipe. I've spent nothing on the bike since coming back from Europe 5 months ago, apart from an 80p pushbike brake cable used as a throttle cable.

This bike is the perfect example of smiles per mile for the smallest amount of dosh possible. Did some green laning the other day and the few people I came across didn't know what to make of the thing, it's not exactly a classic motorcycle, but no other description fits it other than ratbike. What would you think if you saw the bugger coming at you sidways down a muddy track?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:27 - 29 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good read, but it makes me feel less worthy rebuilding my 1998 KE100... Sad Laughing

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 18:59 - 29 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

i still want to read your big account of your huge tour of europe.

In particular Im interested in the scandinavia bits, and spain bits.

Its great that you can ride fast on an old bike, and keep it going with a bit of knowhow and various oddments, but id also like to hear about these particular bits of europe. Particularly dramatic scenery, and deserted roads.

Were you camping sometimes and using hostels other times ? Just pull up at the side of a road, or on camp sites ?

I have been offroad a few times with my dirt bike, and my mate on a c90, and its an unlikely offroader, but great for being super light, and agile so it doesnt even matter that it has road tyres. Im gonna do a thread when i find the lead for my camera to upload pics.

Handsome
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:09 - 29 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I'm sitting here moaning about a Coil that should have been delivered Saturday morning...

Top stuff mate and very inspiring... Thumbs Up

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 21:12 - 29 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also I'd like to add that it makes a change from all the damn NC30 projects that keep cropping up on here! Wink

No offense to anyone doing an NC30 project! Wink

hellraiser
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 03:25 - 09 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing! Thumbs Up
What a good read! Very Happy
Not on here much anymore, but with topics like this i wonder why i'm not. Confused
What a ride that mustve been. I wanna do something like that.
You have made me want to do the trip to Spain ive been wanting to do. Got relatives there. Wink
One day i'll do it. Rolling Eyes
Hope to read about the full trip!
Well done mate! Clapping

Gpz 900R
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 11:31 - 09 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give that man a medal Thumbs Up

Gpz 900R
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 11:31 - 09 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give that man a medal Thumbs Up

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:57 - 09 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

What can i say, nice work!

Zen Dog

Dalemac
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:48 - 10 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

someone should organise a bcf tour of europe.....get loads of people to buy a throwaway bike, make it ridable and just tour a couple of countries. would be a great experience for everyone....would also be good to get to know others and expand biking knowledge....

cant see it happenin tho Sad

h00dwink
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:03 - 10 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

fantastic thread! very inspiring.

and dale, if you wanna do that lemme know 'cus it's something i'v had in mind Very Happy

Dalemac
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:37 - 10 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

if i could find the money to do an old banger up then i would love to do it!! could spend the whole summer holz touring europe! would be ace!

Essex_Mike
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:49 - 10 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't like the rat bike at first, but the more i've read through this thread the more i've liked the look of it.

Thumbs Up Cool
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 80 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4