|
|
| Author |
Message |
| purple_peril_67 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 purple_peril_67 Two Stroke Sniffer

Joined: 28 May 2006 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 08:56 - 16 Jun 2006 Post subject: sore knees :/ |
 |
|
Hi folks. I'm doing the DAS and my test is booked for July 7th and I keep wondering if it's too soon, as I only had my third 125 lesson yesterday and need another one before I can start on 500's.
I'm ok on some things, but not so hot on others..U-turns for example are still a bit iffy. Sometimes they go perfectly and sometimes not. Yesterday, there I was pootling along..did majority of turn, then saw the kerb coming up, panicked, lost concentration, hit kerb and dropped the bike. Can't even remember how I fell, but I did. However, why is it that the knee I fell on is fine, but it's the other one that hurts today, plus I wrenched my shoulder. Anyway, not moaning. I got straight back on and the rest of the lesson was great. Typically though, the perfect U-turn I did next, my instructor didn't see, as he was talking the other guy through his emergency stop!
Guess I just need a bit of reassurance that I'll be able to pass the test in three weeks time because I won't have had the opportunity to build up the hours of experience I know some riders have before they do theirs.
Thanks for listening  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| sunbear |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 sunbear Could Be A Chat Bot
Joined: 12 Jul 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 10:13 - 16 Jun 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
I have come off 4 times, and its always the otherside of you that hurts Suppose its pulled muscles etc. Just try to keep calm and take your time. Good that you got straight back on the bike and rode well after dropping it  ____________________ Bikes had : BMW F650, suzuki tr50, gt125, SV400, GSXR600 SRAD. Honda CBR900RRP, CBR600FX, CBR1000F, VT600, Transalp 600, mtx125, nsr125r, CB500T, Yamaha fy50, tzr125, tdr125, XV535, Diversion 600, Fazer 600, TDM850 MK1 & MK2, Majesty 400, XV 1100. Cagiva mito evolution, Aprilia rs125, Piaggio x9 125. DNA 125 . Suzuki Bandit 600, GZ125 Marauder, RF600 , RF900RS2, Kawasaki ZZR400, ZX6R Ninja, ZZR600 . Ducati 750 Sport . Triumph Tiger 955i. CURRENT : 2004 Kawasaki Z750 and LOVIN IT ! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Whosthedaddy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Whosthedaddy Super Spammer
Joined: 11 Dec 2005 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 10:19 - 16 Jun 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
All that pain will suddenly go when you straddle the 500cc machine for the 1st time  ____________________ Current : MSX 125 Past : CBR 900RR Monkeybike : c50 LAC : ZXR750 H2 : FZR600 : ZX7R P3 : YW100 : TRX850: Trophy 900 T309 : GSXR 600 L0: Monkeybike : XJ6S Whosthedaddy |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| purple_peril_67 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 purple_peril_67 Two Stroke Sniffer

Joined: 28 May 2006 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 12:34 - 16 Jun 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
Cheers guys. I'm so looking forward to getting on the bigger bike as I've got a lovely xj600 waiting for me in the garage and she's getting itchy feet! Like my instructor said when I told him what I'd got..'so, no pressure then ' OOO I can't wait! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Keir |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Keir World Chat Champion
Joined: 11 Apr 2006 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| suzi_bandit |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 suzi_bandit Traffic Copper

Joined: 21 Jul 2005 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| purple_peril_67 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 purple_peril_67 Two Stroke Sniffer

Joined: 28 May 2006 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 01:01 - 17 Jun 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
Hi Suzi - love your public bio btw....couldn't agree more . Yeah, I've considered hiring a bike for a day as the 2hr lessons never seem to be quite long enough and by the time my confidence is up it's usually time to head back to the centre I do feel like I need more road hours, but when I told the instructor I was worried about passing he seemed to think I'd be fine. So, Confused of Durham writes 'what's a girl to do?'
Hi Keir, I've not had full days on the 125, just the normal 2hr lessons. I passed my CBT on a scooter cos I couldn't get my head round the gears, then had to go back for a gear conversion, so I'm still fairly new to how the gears work on a bike. Difficult to change to bike mode after being a car driver for 20yrs, but that definitely helps with road awareness as I'm not having any problems with that  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| suzi_bandit |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 suzi_bandit Traffic Copper

Joined: 21 Jul 2005 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| keyser soze |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 keyser soze Scooby Slapper

Joined: 18 Apr 2006 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 23:33 - 17 Jun 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
| purple_peril_67 wrote: | Hi Suzi - love your public bio btw....couldn't agree more  |
i second that very true statement  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| keyser soze |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 keyser soze Scooby Slapper

Joined: 18 Apr 2006 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 23:33 - 17 Jun 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
| purple_peril_67 wrote: | Hi Suzi - love your public bio btw....couldn't agree more  |
i second that very true statement  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| APNess |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 APNess Trackday Trickster
Joined: 08 Jun 2006 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 00:09 - 18 Jun 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
I did DAS with one of my mates. He almost dropped the bike on a U turn, whereas I (at the same time, further down the street) used the front brake to slow me down.
Except it was more of an 'immediate stop' style move.
I managed to grit my teeth and get the bike on the stand before rolling off and curling up into a ball, clutching what was left of my mashed privates - fuel tanks are quite hard things to slam into for certain soft things, even at low speeds!
About 10 mins later, got on, took it very easy for rest of lesson, still gasping and wheezing!
With regards the U Turn, when you are doing your life saver/preparing to turn, keep your head and eyes up, and look where you want to go - easier said than done I know, but if you look at the kerb odds are that's where you'll head
Oh yeah, and use the foot brake to slow down/stop if you have to
Ouch. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| purple_peril_67 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 purple_peril_67 Two Stroke Sniffer

Joined: 28 May 2006 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 20:32 - 18 Jun 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
Cheers for all the good advice. Think you're right about a confidence boost being what I need because it's not easy going from being a confident, assertive and aware car-driver to being a nervous, wobbly new rider. Guess I'm just giving myself a hard time (and I never do that ) and I should listen to the people who've seen hundreds of new riders come through. They must get a good idea of who's going to be able to go the distance and they already know I've got a 'big' bike I'm working towards being able to ride before too long
APNess, I really feel for you. It's bad enough getting clouted down there when you're a girlie, so for a bloke, I should imagine the rest of that lesson was conducted quite carefully? All my bruises from the other day are a lovely shade of greenish purple now..quite pretty! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 20 years, 117 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|