Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


sore knees :/

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

purple_peril_67
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 28 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:56 - 16 Jun 2006    Post subject: sore knees :/ Reply with quote

Hi folks. I'm doing the DAS and my test is booked for July 7th and I keep wondering if it's too soon, as I only had my third 125 lesson yesterday and need another one before I can start on 500's.
I'm ok on some things, but not so hot on others..U-turns for example are still a bit iffy. Sometimes they go perfectly and sometimes not. Yesterday, there I was pootling along..did majority of turn, then saw the kerb coming up, panicked, lost concentration, hit kerb and dropped the bike. Can't even remember how I fell, but I did. However, why is it that the knee I fell on is fine, but it's the other one that hurts today, plus I wrenched my shoulder. Anyway, not moaning. I got straight back on and the rest of the lesson was great. Typically though, the perfect U-turn I did next, my instructor didn't see, as he was talking the other guy through his emergency stop!
Guess I just need a bit of reassurance that I'll be able to pass the test in three weeks time because I won't have had the opportunity to build up the hours of experience I know some riders have before they do theirs.
Thanks for listening Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

sunbear
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:13 - 16 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have come off 4 times, and its always the otherside of you that hurts Laughing Suppose its pulled muscles etc. Just try to keep calm and take your time. Good that you got straight back on the bike and rode well after dropping it Thumbs Up
____________________
Bikes had : BMW F650, suzuki tr50, gt125, SV400, GSXR600 SRAD. Honda CBR900RRP, CBR600FX, CBR1000F, VT600, Transalp 600, mtx125, nsr125r, CB500T, Yamaha fy50, tzr125, tdr125, XV535, Diversion 600, Fazer 600, TDM850 MK1 & MK2, Majesty 400, XV 1100. Cagiva mito evolution, Aprilia rs125, Piaggio x9 125. DNA 125 . Suzuki Bandit 600, GZ125 Marauder, RF600 , RF900RS2, Kawasaki ZZR400, ZX6R Ninja, ZZR600 . Ducati 750 Sport . Triumph Tiger 955i. CURRENT : 2004 Kawasaki Z750 and LOVIN IT !
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:19 - 16 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

All that pain will suddenly go when you straddle the 500cc machine for the 1st time Very Happy
____________________
Current : MSX 125 Past : CBR 900RR Monkeybike : c50 LAC : ZXR750 H2 : FZR600 : ZX7R P3 : YW100 : TRX850: Trophy 900 T309 : GSXR 600 L0: Monkeybike : XJ6S Whosthedaddy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

purple_peril_67
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 28 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:34 - 16 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys. I'm so looking forward to getting on the bigger bike as I've got a lovely xj600 waiting for me in the garage and she's getting itchy feet! Like my instructor said when I told him what I'd got..'so, no pressure then Smile' OOO I can't wait!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Keir
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Apr 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:37 - 16 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 days on a 125? How many days lessons do you have booked?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

suzi_bandit
Traffic Copper



Joined: 21 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:34 - 16 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my CBT around about this time last year. My plan was to take my DAS and not bother with a 125 but after doing the CBT I just wasn't sure what to do for the best. Anyways, what I ended up doing in order to boost my confidence was to hire a 125 for a day. It cost me £40 if I remember rightly and that was inclusive of insurance. It boosted my confidence no end and I only needed 2 lessons on a 500cc bike as a result. I sailed through my test with just a couple of minors. One of those I picked up before I even sat on the bike!
Basically, sometimes having little experience can be an advantage when taking your test because you haven't picked up loads of bad habits. It's kind of like you ride by the book, which is what they want to see when taking your test.
____________________
I want a big boys bike, preferably a Speed Triple. To date I have ?7:42p stashed away to put towards one. Need to get it in the bank & earning interest asap.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

purple_peril_67
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 28 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:01 - 17 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Suzi - love your public bio btw....couldn't agree more Smile. Yeah, I've considered hiring a bike for a day as the 2hr lessons never seem to be quite long enough and by the time my confidence is up it's usually time to head back to the centre Sad I do feel like I need more road hours, but when I told the instructor I was worried about passing he seemed to think I'd be fine. So, Confused of Durham writes 'what's a girl to do?'

Hi Keir, I've not had full days on the 125, just the normal 2hr lessons. I passed my CBT on a scooter cos I couldn't get my head round the gears, then had to go back for a gear conversion, so I'm still fairly new to how the gears work on a bike. Difficult to change to bike mode after being a car driver for 20yrs, but that definitely helps with road awareness as I'm not having any problems with that Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

suzi_bandit
Traffic Copper



Joined: 21 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:51 - 17 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

purple_peril_67 wrote:
Hi Suzi - love your public bio btw


Thank you kindly. I'm bursting at the seams with bad advice and will freely give you more Twisted Evil

The situation that you find yourself in is so very similar to the one I was in this time last year. I had all my road sense as a result of driving a car but I think maybe I had a slight advantage because I had been pillion on ex hubbys bike when I was married. I think some of his riding skills must have rubbed off on me.

It seems to me from your instructors reaction when you voiced your worries that a confidence boost is what you need. If you have the spare cash hiring a bike for the day may prove to be money well spent. It certainly worked for me and it would be nice to think it could work for you.

I see little point in hiring a 125 once you've started riding the 500 though. For me at least the smaller bike seemed like a toy compared to a larger bike. It's amazing how quickly you get used to the extra weight and bhp.

Whatever you decide to do I wish you all the best. Keep us posted as to how you progress Thumbs Up
____________________
I want a big boys bike, preferably a Speed Triple. To date I have ?7:42p stashed away to put towards one. Need to get it in the bank & earning interest asap.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

keyser soze
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 18 Apr 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:33 - 17 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

purple_peril_67 wrote:
Hi Suzi - love your public bio btw....couldn't agree more Smile



i second that very true statement Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

keyser soze
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 18 Apr 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:33 - 17 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

purple_peril_67 wrote:
Hi Suzi - love your public bio btw....couldn't agree more Smile



i second that very true statement Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

APNess
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 08 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:09 - 18 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did DAS with one of my mates. He almost dropped the bike on a U turn, whereas I (at the same time, further down the street) used the front brake to slow me down.

Except it was more of an 'immediate stop' style move.

I managed to grit my teeth and get the bike on the stand before rolling off and curling up into a ball, clutching what was left of my mashed privates - fuel tanks are quite hard things to slam into for certain soft things, even at low speeds!

About 10 mins later, got on, took it very easy for rest of lesson, still gasping and wheezing!

With regards the U Turn, when you are doing your life saver/preparing to turn, keep your head and eyes up, and look where you want to go - easier said than done I know, but if you look at the kerb odds are that's where you'll head Sad

Oh yeah, and use the foot brake to slow down/stop if you have to Sad

Ouch.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

purple_peril_67
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 28 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:32 - 18 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for all the good advice. Think you're right about a confidence boost being what I need because it's not easy going from being a confident, assertive and aware car-driver to being a nervous, wobbly new rider. Guess I'm just giving myself a hard time (and I never do that Rolling Eyes ) and I should listen to the people who've seen hundreds of new riders come through. They must get a good idea of who's going to be able to go the distance and they already know I've got a 'big' bike I'm working towards being able to ride before too long Very Happy

APNess, I really feel for you. It's bad enough getting clouted down there when you're a girlie, so for a bloke, I should imagine the rest of that lesson was conducted quite carefully? All my bruises from the other day are a lovely shade of greenish purple now..quite pretty!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 117 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 4.48 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 77.43 Kb