|
|
| Author |
Message |
| bearwood.beckham |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 bearwood.beckham Renault 5 Driver

Joined: 03 May 2006 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Lawnie |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Lawnie Nearly there...

Joined: 23 Apr 2006 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 00:32 - 18 Jun 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
When you say 'reset your computer to factory settings', do you mean a format?
How much data do you have to back up? 30MB? 200MB? 1GB? 10GB? 150GB? Tell me and I will advise you on the best media to use.
When I back up my data, I simply copy and paste the files to an external harddisk, overwriting existing versions. Although this can be several GBs at a time, it doesn't take very long as the drive uses USB 2.0, with a ~480Mbps transfer bandwidth. It's just as easy with CDs, DVDs, JAZ disks, ZIP disks, USB pens, etc. However, I believe there are proper back up utilities you can use. I know Iomega have one, and maybe even Windows.
Hope this helps. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| djr |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 djr World Chat Champion
Joined: 09 Nov 2003 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 01:39 - 18 Jun 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
assuming all your videos/porn/music/pictures (my document\my music, my pictures e.t.c) e.t.c are all within your machine logon, create a new local admin user, log on as said user, then goto c:\documents and settings\ and zip up the folder the folder that has the same name as your windows user, then open the zip file and delete the three ntuser files.
burn sed zip to dvd's e.t.c (use winrar instead of winzip and you'll be able to have it create several seperate zip files each the size of one dvd to make it easier e.t.c)
anyway - then once you've burnt them all to dvd reinstall windows, then once you've done that create a user with the same name as your original windows login, login as it, create another local administrator user, log out and log in as new user, then extract the zip/rar file into "c:\documents and settings\original user name" then log off and log on as original user name...
Job done... hope that helps good night... me knackered  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Courageous T |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Courageous T Scooby Slapper
Joined: 08 Mar 2005 Karma : 
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| bearwood.beckham |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 bearwood.beckham Renault 5 Driver

Joined: 03 May 2006 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 01:58 - 18 Jun 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
| Rob84 wrote: | When you say 'reset your computer to factory settings', do you mean a format?
How much data do you have to back up? 30MB? 200MB? 1GB? 10GB? 150GB? Tell me and I will advise you on the best media to use.
When I back up my data, I simply copy and paste the files to an external harddisk, overwriting existing versions. Although this can be several GBs at a time, it doesn't take very long as the drive uses USB 2.0, with a ~480Mbps transfer bandwidth. It's just as easy with CDs, DVDs, JAZ disks, ZIP disks, USB pens, etc. However, I believe there are proper back up utilities you can use. I know Iomega have one, and maybe even Windows.
Hope this helps. |
I need to back up a little under 5GB... I think the best bet is CD... Thanks for your reply  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| 0ddball |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 0ddball World Chat Champion

Joined: 15 Jul 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 02:36 - 18 Jun 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
5GB? Any self respecting perv has at least 50GB of porn!!
I find using external hard drives much easier. I use a couple of 400GB jobbies. One for main storage and the other as a backup.
Then, after a fresh factory reset i installed all my programs, drivers, codecs ect, made an image of the drive and stored it on one of the externals. It leaves the internal HD that windows is installed on uncluttered so it runs quicker and makes resetting a doddle. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| syl |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 syl World Chat Champion

Joined: 05 Dec 2005 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 03:09 - 18 Jun 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
I use dual server class hard drives (Western Digital RE) in a RAID 1 configuration to reduce the chance of problems however I still regularly backup to tape (which remains the best archive and backup medium). I store at least one recent backup offsite, in case the whole house goes up in flames. I back up 15GB which takes around an hour on my 40GB DDS4 drive, which you can pickup on EBay for £25 - £50.
If you need more storage, there is DAT 72, DAT 160, DLT, AIT or LTO.
For 5GB or less, you may as well just use DVD. ____________________ Current bike: Kawasaki Z750S |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Lawnie |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Lawnie Nearly there...

Joined: 23 Apr 2006 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| djr |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 djr World Chat Champion
Joined: 09 Nov 2003 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 20 years, 114 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|