Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Backing up...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

bearwood.beckham
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 03 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:06 - 18 Jun 2006    Post subject: Backing up... Reply with quote

How do you back up files? I want to back up my music, pictures etc so that when I reset my comp back to factory settings I'll still have my files... Help appreciated..

Thanks
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Lawnie
Nearly there...



Joined: 23 Apr 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:32 - 18 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say 'reset your computer to factory settings', do you mean a format?

How much data do you have to back up? 30MB? 200MB? 1GB? 10GB? 150GB? Tell me and I will advise you on the best media to use.

When I back up my data, I simply copy and paste the files to an external harddisk, overwriting existing versions. Although this can be several GBs at a time, it doesn't take very long as the drive uses USB 2.0, with a ~480Mbps transfer bandwidth. It's just as easy with CDs, DVDs, JAZ disks, ZIP disks, USB pens, etc. However, I believe there are proper back up utilities you can use. I know Iomega have one, and maybe even Windows.

Hope this helps.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

djr
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Nov 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:39 - 18 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

assuming all your videos/porn/music/pictures (my document\my music, my pictures e.t.c) e.t.c are all within your machine logon, create a new local admin user, log on as said user, then goto c:\documents and settings\ and zip up the folder the folder that has the same name as your windows user, then open the zip file and delete the three ntuser files.

burn sed zip to dvd's e.t.c (use winrar instead of winzip and you'll be able to have it create several seperate zip files each the size of one dvd to make it easier e.t.c)

anyway - then once you've burnt them all to dvd reinstall windows, then once you've done that create a user with the same name as your original windows login, login as it, create another local administrator user, log out and log in as new user, then extract the zip/rar file into "c:\documents and settings\original user name" then log off and log on as original user name...

Job done... hope that helps Confused good night... me knackered Neutral
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Courageous T
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 08 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:49 - 18 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah good topic.
i reformatted the old pc yesterday which has two hard drives. i put all the music on the other hd which doesnt have windows is just storage, now ive reformatted it isnt recognizing the other hd in my computer ive tried finding hardware but cant seem to find it anywhere.
any suggestions?

cheers
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bearwood.beckham
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 03 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:58 - 18 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob84 wrote:
When you say 'reset your computer to factory settings', do you mean a format?

How much data do you have to back up? 30MB? 200MB? 1GB? 10GB? 150GB? Tell me and I will advise you on the best media to use.

When I back up my data, I simply copy and paste the files to an external harddisk, overwriting existing versions. Although this can be several GBs at a time, it doesn't take very long as the drive uses USB 2.0, with a ~480Mbps transfer bandwidth. It's just as easy with CDs, DVDs, JAZ disks, ZIP disks, USB pens, etc. However, I believe there are proper back up utilities you can use. I know Iomega have one, and maybe even Windows.

Hope this helps.


I need to back up a little under 5GB... I think the best bet is CD... Thanks for your reply Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

0ddball
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:36 - 18 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

5GB? Any self respecting perv has at least 50GB of porn!! Laughing


I find using external hard drives much easier. I use a couple of 400GB jobbies. One for main storage and the other as a backup.

Then, after a fresh factory reset i installed all my programs, drivers, codecs ect, made an image of the drive and stored it on one of the externals. It leaves the internal HD that windows is installed on uncluttered so it runs quicker and makes resetting a doddle.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

syl
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:09 - 18 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use dual server class hard drives (Western Digital RE) in a RAID 1 configuration to reduce the chance of problems however I still regularly backup to tape (which remains the best archive and backup medium). I store at least one recent backup offsite, in case the whole house goes up in flames. I back up 15GB which takes around an hour on my 40GB DDS4 drive, which you can pickup on EBay for £25 - £50.

If you need more storage, there is DAT 72, DAT 160, DLT, AIT or LTO.

For 5GB or less, you may as well just use DVD.
____________________
Current bike: Kawasaki Z750S
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Lawnie
Nearly there...



Joined: 23 Apr 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:50 - 18 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

bearwood.beckham wrote:

I need to back up a little under 5GB... I think the best bet is CD... Thanks for your reply Thumbs Up


You'll need about 8 CDs for that.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

djr
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Nov 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:04 - 18 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomofast wrote:
ah good topic.
i reformatted the old pc yesterday which has two hard drives. i put all the music on the other hd which doesnt have windows is just storage, now ive reformatted it isnt recognizing the other hd in my computer ive tried finding hardware but cant seem to find it anywhere.
any suggestions?

cheers


This will depend on type of hard drive, if it is sata then you will need to go and hunt for the correct drivers for your sata controller.

If it's ata:

Go into control panel, administrative tools, computer management, then down the left hand side you should have an option called disk management, in there look in the middle panel for the second disk, right click it and you may well have an option to "reinitalize disk" If so click it. If not add me to msn one evening/weekend and gimme remote desktop access to your pc and i'll sort it Smile.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 113 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.06 Sec - Server Load: 0.58 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 62.68 Kb