Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Faired or unfaired that is the question!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

treesey200
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 29 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:49 - 05 Aug 2006    Post subject: Faired or unfaired that is the question! Reply with quote

well I thought i knew what bike I wanted after I passed my test but after a few days of riding around on a ER-5 I think I have changed my mind.
I was looking to buy a SV650 or a Honda Hornet 600 as my first "big Bike" I am not a huge fan of sports bikes they are really nice just not for me. The problem is now I have ridden an unfaired bike at speed and being bashed around by the wind I am wondering if I could cope with a naked bike on a long ride?
What does everyone else think? what would be a good alternative bike to the SV or hornet? What do you think of the Z750s? I was thinking about one of these am worried that it is a bit to powerful as a first bike.

Helen
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Gradog
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 17 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:01 - 05 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not surprising that after riding an ER-5 that you have concerns. I can see little that the ER has to commend it. (Sorry to all those that own one, but I stick by my comments).
Being a lady, I would have thought that weight and height of the bike were a bigger considerationthan your being able to handle the power. You don't have to wind the throttle right back, until your good and ready.
Maybe consider a half faired bike? The Triumph RS would be a reasonable starting place, quick, reliable, handles well and is low to the ground. There are loads of options out there but go with what feels right rather than looks.
____________________
Grey haired bikers don't get that way from pure luck. Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of the car window.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

_Will_
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:06 - 05 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time for another shameless plug methinks, Check the siggy, divvys a great first big bike, also have a z750s and its the sex may be a tad powerfull for a first biggun at 108bhp, but whatever bike HALF FAIRING FOR TEH WIN!!!!!!
Have you thought about the cbf600?
EDIT: the divvy was designed as a womans bike but dont tell anyone Shhh!
____________________
Past -Honda qr50 | 2004 Peugeot Tkr s 50|
| 1996 Yamaha XJ600s Diversion|
| 2005|Kawasaki Z750s | | 2006 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer |
|| 1999 Cbr1100xx Blackbird ||
||| 2000 Kawasaki Zx12R ||| (|2009 Street Triple R |) // 2004 Honda Hornet Streetfighter \\|=| 2000 BMW R1100S |=| ------ My Bikepics page ------
Suffering Bike Withdrawal.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Teaman
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:16 - 05 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends what youwant to do, If your just doing commutes and short runs you could get away with nakid bikes, if your an all weather rider and doing miles you might want to consider faired, its not just "Sports bikes" that have fairings, I certainly wouldnt class a gsxf a sports bike, more of a sports tourer thingy,
wind blast on naked bikes is a pain and semi faired bikes like the fazer are good for combating this but you suffer from wind blast on your legs.
I ride all weathers and do a fair few miles so choose a fully ffaired bike, Its very good for keeping the eliments off me but as Im tall I could do with a bigger screen,
I like naked bikes though, but I guess you have to work out what you want to do before deciding on a bike.
____________________
There is no point in ranting about someone stupid because there is nothing u can do about it. There is no cure for stupid.
Someone stupid does not realise they r stupid.stupidity is indistinguishable from malice U just have to accept that some people are thick as p1gsh1t and work around them.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Biker Boy
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 15 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:14 - 05 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

vee wrote:
Check the siggy, divvys a great first big bike


yeh, I totally agree with that. I went from my 125 DT to the XJ600N (96 model as well) after I'd passed my test (had to get it restricted though). But yeh, it is a great first big bike to get you used to larger bikes. I rode it on the M1 for about 250 miles at constant 80/90mph and it doesn't throw you around too much even without the screen. (The screen looks ugly anyway!)
____________________
"but like any bike it will comfortably see off anything on four wheels at the traffic light GP"
My Ninja Video!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:20 - 05 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faired for the win Thumbs Up
____________________
Current : MSX 125 Past : CBR 900RR Monkeybike : c50 LAC : ZXR750 H2 : FZR600 : ZX7R P3 : YW100 : TRX850: Trophy 900 T309 : GSXR 600 L0: Monkeybike : XJ6S Whosthedaddy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

_Will_
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:37 - 05 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did 300 miles a day for 5 days, 70-80mph with luggage and wind wasnt a problem, suprisingly keeps off the legs aswell to a certain extent out of the four bikes that went (2004 bmw r850r, 1988 pacific coast, 2002 motoguzzi cruiser thingy and mine) i by far had the, Fastest, most fuel efficient, practical bike and was comfy too. Mr. Green Thumbs Up Cool
____________________
Past -Honda qr50 | 2004 Peugeot Tkr s 50|
| 1996 Yamaha XJ600s Diversion|
| 2005|Kawasaki Z750s | | 2006 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer |
|| 1999 Cbr1100xx Blackbird ||
||| 2000 Kawasaki Zx12R ||| (|2009 Street Triple R |) // 2004 Honda Hornet Streetfighter \\|=| 2000 BMW R1100S |=| ------ My Bikepics page ------
Suffering Bike Withdrawal.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Marah
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:52 - 05 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally prefer naked bikes, however if you like faired bikes I would opt for that due to the comfort factor if you are planning on doing a fair bit of motorway riding. However 2 months since getting mine I find it getting easier to handle on the motorways.
____________________
Someone complimented me on my driving. They left a note on my windscreen, it said "Parking Fine" Very Happy
Old Bikes -1990 Yamaha DT50MX > 1988 Kawasaki KMX125 > 1991 Kawasaki KMX125 > 1981 Yamaha XS250SE > 2000 Suzuki Bandit 600 > 1999 Kawasaki ZX7R Ninja
Bike - 1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

yambabe
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:03 - 05 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just how far and fast are you planning on going? Shocked

I never found wind to be a problem up to about 65 on the 250. As I do a lot of motorway and a-road miles going to rallies and stuff, I fitted a little fly-screen just after I got it which deflected the wind just enough for me to be comfortable cruising at around 75.

Maybe you could think about something aftermarket if you don't really fancy a faired bike?
____________________
Sod falling in love, I wanna fall in chocolate. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Andy C
Tree Seeking Missile



Joined: 26 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:09 - 05 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used to think i would only ever own faired bikes. I thought my SV650s was an okey first bike, power is easier to handle when your not used to it but though suspension was a bit Thumbs Down

I think that an unfaired bike is probably more fun at lower speeds as on the SV i found myself going 100+ on A roads and not feeling the rush i got when i first got to 100mph.

Everyone is different and what works for me may not work for you. I reacon lots of testrides are the answer Thumbs Up
____________________
99 RS125 --> 02 SV650s --> 03 Speed Four --> 92 RXS100 --> 93 CB400sf --> 01 CB600f Hornet
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

T1Cybernetic
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 08 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:06 - 05 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy C wrote:

Everyone is different and what works for me may not work for you. I reacon lots of testrides are the answer Thumbs Up


My philosophy exactly Thumbs Up i have many, many test rides planned for the following weeks after i pass my test!
____________________
Signature removed by popular demand...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:45 - 05 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you have a barn door fairing they don't make all that much difference anyway.
Often the wind blast is directed more at your head, while drips from even the lightest rain run along the fairing onto your leg.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:50 - 05 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

that said if you get a naked bike and do motorway work all the time , buy shirts with bigger collars , your neck gets awfully big.
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dave_ZedDragen
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:53 - 05 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

another vote for taking as many test rides as possible Thumbs Up

I'm a Z1000 owner and dont really suffer from the windblast, its something you kinda get used too although the zero gravity screen ive fitted does help.

I wouldnt say a Z750s is too powerful a bike for a newbie. They are easy bikes to control and good fun its all down to the rider in question really and only you can decide that.

You may be thinking that un-faied bikes have too much winblast but keep in mind that the ER5 is incredibly basic and most other naked bikes that you'll step up to will have some consideration given to aerodynamics. The unfaired kawasaki zeds for example have the bikini fairing which whilst not giving great wind protection will certainly have better than the ER-5 and will deflect and reduce the full impast of the wind blast. Even the hornet now has a headlight that is shaped to push "some" of the wind up and over you.

If your concerned about the Z750s being too powerful then I wouldnt recommend the before mentioned Sprint RS as it is a litre bike and far more powerful.

Some possibilities of the usual suspect are:

Yamaha fazer- which comes in a half faired and unfaired (FZ6) version now

Honda hornet- only naked now but they did used to produce a half faired version

Honda CB600- unfaired and half faired and far better than they used to be

Honda VFR- fully faired and a possibility but with 750 and newer 800 engines it may be getting too powerful for you.

The good ol' Suzuki bandit- faired and unfaired versions available

Suzuki GSR 600- only unfaired

Suzuki SV 650- unfaired and half faired

Suzuki GS500- available in fully faired or unfaired

Kawasaki Z750 (unfaired) and the Kawasaki Z750s (half faired)

Kawasaki ER6f (unfaired) and Kawasaki ER6n (fully faired)

for info on some of these bikes try these links:

Zed's: https://www.z1000uk.proboards52.com/
fazer's: https://www.foc-u.co.uk/
hornet's: https://www.hondahornet.co.uk/
bandit's and sv's: https://www.bandit-sv-owners-club.co.uk/
____________________
Dave_ZedDragen - (2005)Z1000

https://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt306/zeddragen/zeddragensig-1.jpg
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

magpiemale
Traffic Copper



Joined: 04 Feb 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:56 - 05 Aug 2006    Post subject: what bike to have Reply with quote

well as with some of these peeps on here try a bikini bike (one with half a fairing) I myself do not like the R6's + cbr 600's as you drop it or damage it servicing it or the shop does then rather expensive ££££ to replace my nsr125 was £570 for top 2 and bottom 2 after the lugs etc came off plus the old ones were old.windblast !! well I was speaking to a friend who has a naked hornet and he says after being on a faired (valdero) that he doesnt bother him to much, it did at 1st but after you get used to it then you settle into it.me I prefer z750s which is being delivered in sept on 56 plate or you can try the bandit S as that is a good learner esp for a lady
magpiemale
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

queen of string
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:20 - 05 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a female biker just about to move from nekkid to faired. i do about 60 miles on the motorway a couple if times a week and anything over 80 is starting to get on my nerves. i dont really want a neck like a power lifter so am moving to a faired bike. I have recently been trying to decide what to get and have found that just at the moment the bike shops seem to be falling over them selves to be helpful and handing out test rides like sweets. Enjoy Smile
____________________
"Eat food, not edible, food-like items. Mostly plants."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

edd
Nearly there...



Joined: 06 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:28 - 06 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends what you personally can cope with. I find no problems at 110-120 on my zephyr which is completely unfaired, but I have a 19" collar, big arms and Im not fussy. Fairings can make a huge difference at high speed, the faster you go the more difference they make. The best plan for you is to do some test rides at speed and see what you feel like.
____________________
Bluespark Automotive - Diesel Tuning for Performance and Economy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage



Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:57 - 06 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit 600 with fairing is a nice bike. /shameless plug
____________________
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Teaman
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:22 - 06 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah but
Quote:
Jon B
Afraid of Mileage


er? Confused Very Happy
____________________
There is no point in ranting about someone stupid because there is nothing u can do about it. There is no cure for stupid.
Someone stupid does not realise they r stupid.stupidity is indistinguishable from malice U just have to accept that some people are thick as p1gsh1t and work around them.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

bazza
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:49 - 06 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faired. No contest. I've had 3 unfaired bikes and every one ended up causing pain/strain after an hour of riding over 60. Neck, arms and back all come under wind pressure/blast which just accumulates the longer your journey.

I'd never have another unfaired bike. Thumbs Down
____________________
"That's it. You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college."
'98 Ducati 750SS, '08 Suzuki GSX650F ©2004-2014, Bazza's Harmless Banter
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Sadie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:08 - 06 Aug 2006    Post subject: Re: Faired or unfaired that is the question! Reply with quote

treesey200 wrote:
What do you think of the Z750s? I was thinking about one of these am worried that it is a bit to powerful as a first bike.

Helen


I love it, but I've been riding 22 years. Personally, I don't think it would be a good first bike. They are a lot "twitchier" than they look.

Personally I prefer unfaired bikes to faired ones, and I do a lot of motorway travel, but it's down to personal preference.

BTW, you could do a lot worse than a 600 Bandit as a first big bike.

Thumbs Up
____________________
With experience comes age.


Last edited by Sadie on 11:58 - 07 Aug 2006; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kawakid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:58 - 07 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did 400 miles on an unfaired bike (well there is a screen) and it was okay.

Faired bikes look better, but unfaired bikes survive being dropped much better from my own experience Laughing Laughing
____________________
I've a twin and a 4.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

extreme3d
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:35 - 07 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried putting a flyscreen on your ER-5? It will make a huge difference as that small piece of plastic will transform a naked bike into a useable tool. You could still get that hornet then.

I would think long and hard about the Z750s. It just doesn't have any 'soul' what with a commuter style seat and grab rail arrangement, tall screen and worse a very sit-up-and-beg riding position - very like the faired bandit was and so a bit 'grandadish'. In fact any bike that has the combination of half fairing and high handlebars (as apposed to clip-ons) has that look.

Park it anywhere and it won't attract any attention like a nicely maintained hornet would. It's one of those bikes where the owner is left trying to explain to everyone that it really is better than it looks - something the bike should do for you........ and still people aren't convinced and are leave thinking 'well it looks comfy for commuting on' as they move on to look at that new R6 next to it. It also vibrates a lot so the mirrors are quite useless and the handlebars buzz - something not to be overlooked.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!



Joined: 12 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:20 - 07 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 600 Bandit with it's lil half fairing thing does brilliantly on motorways. (Why is 90mph so easy to cruise at?!)

I had a naked 250 for a while which I used for lots of motorway journeys. I still never had any problems, I just kinda tucked in behind the clocks and held it on the stop all way.

(revs were only half way up the range at full throttle in top).

I did add a small flyscreen to that bike which helped a lot on the motorway.
I've never noticed windblast on my legs with the bandit either.

Gaz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

phk6
Nearly there...



Joined: 24 Apr 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:23 - 07 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

if u want the powerranger look go for a fully faired bike and matching leathers

if u want the holligan look for for a naked and wear jeans and a leather jacket

go naked!
____________________
Current .. 2008 BMW R 1200 GS Adventure ..
Before .. 2003 Yamaha Fazer 1000 .. 2004 Kawazaki Z1000 .. 2003 Suzuki Sv1000s .. 1999 zx6r Track Bike .. 1999 CB 500 Cup ..
/Phil
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 60 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.12 Sec - Server Load: 3.02 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 142.41 Kb