Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Would it put you off?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

ZZR Girl
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 31 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:39 - 09 Aug 2006    Post subject: Would it put you off? Reply with quote

I always nod to other bikes. I do it automatically as a matter of habit. A few times now, I've nodded to a group of two riders, one being an L-plater with a bigger bike behind, and it occurred to me today that they are probably out on their test or having a lesson.

If you were on your test and another biker nodded at you, would it put you off or make you feel reassured?
____________________
Keep it shiny!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

gemma1675
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 20 Mar 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:43 - 09 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had other bikers nod to me when I was training and it didn't put me off at all, I loved it. During the test I didn't notice any but I was so focussed (stressed!!) Shocked I doubt I would have noticed anyway if someone did nod at me!
____________________
Suzuki SV650S K5

Nobody puts baby in a corner
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

T1z3R
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:47 - 09 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

wouldn't bother me either...had a few nods, even from coppers, when out on lessons.
____________________
duck my sick!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

21chappers
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 15 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:54 - 09 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive noticed that pretty much no one ever nods at me when im on my bike. whether its because im still a learner i dont know but when i nod at someone they just carry on
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:11 - 09 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would spur me on, reminding me of one of the many great things about biking Very Happy


I always nod at learners and people on their test. Often they don't nod back - I remember how difficult it was to concentrate, but the instructor nearly always does Thumbs Up
____________________
Avast! Pirates ahoy!
I did Cadwell! Very Happy
www.bikepics.com/members/bella
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

sunbear
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:21 - 09 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I nod at everyone too. Apart from scooters Neutral Most of them are chav 16 year olds Neutral
____________________
Bikes had : BMW F650, suzuki tr50, gt125, SV400, GSXR600 SRAD. Honda CBR900RRP, CBR600FX, CBR1000F, VT600, Transalp 600, mtx125, nsr125r, CB500T, Yamaha fy50, tzr125, tdr125, XV535, Diversion 600, Fazer 600, TDM850 MK1 & MK2, Majesty 400, XV 1100. Cagiva mito evolution, Aprilia rs125, Piaggio x9 125. DNA 125 . Suzuki Bandit 600, GZ125 Marauder, RF600 , RF900RS2, Kawasaki ZZR400, ZX6R Ninja, ZZR600 . Ducati 750 Sport . Triumph Tiger 955i. CURRENT : 2004 Kawasaki Z750 and LOVIN IT !
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

FreshAL
Sir Crashalot



Joined: 04 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:34 - 09 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

sunbear wrote:
I nod at everyone too. Apart from scooters Neutral Most of them are chav 16 year olds Neutral


I'll nod to just about anyone on two wheels.

Chavs wearing motocross lids perched on the back of their heads and string vests get ignored.

I don't think I'd nod to anyone on 'L's being followed by a big white pan, in case they were on test and it was a distraction. Not sure, it's never happened.

I've passed my old instructor a couple of times, and always given him a big cheery wave. I went to see him after I'd got my first bike and say thanks, but I've changed my bike 3 times since then, so he's probably got no idea who I am, but hopefully it makes him smile anyway.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:46 - 09 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learners are like rabbits caught in the headlights of a car. The examiner is more likely to nod at you.
____________________
Current : MSX 125 Past : CBR 900RR Monkeybike : c50 LAC : ZXR750 H2 : FZR600 : ZX7R P3 : YW100 : TRX850: Trophy 900 T309 : GSXR 600 L0: Monkeybike : XJ6S Whosthedaddy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dark
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:22 - 09 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I nod at them and normally get a nod back from the examiner
____________________
My Bikes in order:- Yamaha RXS100 / Suzuki X7 250 / Yamaha RD350LC / Kawasaki
KR1S 250 / Kawasaki ZXR750 H2 / Honda C50 / Kawasaki ZX7R P5 / Kawasaki ZX10R / Suzuki GSXR 400 / Honda CBR1100 Blackbird & Yamaha FZR 600
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ZZR Girl
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 31 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:56 - 09 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's good that your replies have all been that it wouldn't put you off if you were doing your test and got nodded at. I had been thinking that if the majority said it WOULD put them off, I would have to try to curtail my nodding!
____________________
Keep it shiny!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jazz_UK
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 06 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:50 - 09 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I am planning to take my test in the next few months and would appreciate a nod or 2 while doing my test. It may help me relax!

Unfortunatley I have taken to raising my hand (not quite a wave) rather than nodding (must be a cruiser thing), so would probably be marked down if I done that during my test.

Jazz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pernig
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:10 - 09 Aug 2006    Post subject: Re: Would it put you off? Reply with quote

ZZR Girl wrote:
I always nod to other bikes. I do it automatically as a matter of habit. A few times now, I've nodded to a group of two riders, one being an L-plater with a bigger bike behind, and it occurred to me today that they are probably out on their test or having a lesson.

If you were on your test and another biker nodded at you, would it put you off or make you feel reassured?


I got nods on my lessons a few times, it was great and it reminds you to keep going, even if you've just fell off doing a u-turn or stalled 10 times coming out of the lights. Which reminds me, when I passed my test my instructor had to go and look for another student's licence, leaving me at the test centre to make my own way back once I'd finished the test. As I rode back on my own I passed another training school through town and the instructor nodded at me, I felt like I was an instructor it was great!
____________________
H100 Breaking for spares
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ZZR Girl
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 31 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:15 - 09 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jazz_UK wrote:


I would appreciate a nod or 2 while doing my test...
........must be a cruiser thing



Don't hold your breath for a nod if you're on a cruiser Laughing Only joking, Jazz. If you waved or nodded at me, I'd give you one back, although I would be so shocked to have had a cruiser nod me that it would be me who was put off!

Good luck with your test though and hope you get loads of nods Thumbs Up
____________________
Keep it shiny!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

zenith10
Nova Slayer



Joined: 25 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:17 - 09 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive heard about this biker nodding thing but ive been out on the roads yesterday and today except from my test these have been the first times but ive not had a nod yet id love a biker to nod at me edit probably because im an l-plate noob on a 50 scooter
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Jebus
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 10 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:20 - 09 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think most "big bike little bike" rides are either tests if they got day glo stuff on or mabye they are the big bike is just "looking after" a mate or relitive on the little bike to give them a bit more confidence on the roads
____________________
2nd time around Smile CBT: 8/9/11
125 Varadero
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

gazza695
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 27 Apr 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:43 - 09 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i only had one guy nod at me when doing my DAS but it made my day, i just realised that he knew i was learning and was going to become a biker and gave me a nod, i was made up.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Jackyboy
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 24 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:45 - 09 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i found that on my Sr125 anyone I nodded to nodded back, and 50% of bikers(not scooters/peds) i passed nodded to me without me nodding first.
I think its more of a clothing thing as well, I always wear a leather jacket, regardless of the heat, and i think that other bikers appreciate that while i may be on an L plate, i've got a head screwed on to my shoulders. i've been out once in a tshirt and i got ignored all the way.
Since I got the GT i've noticed a big increase in the amount of people nodding me.
____________________
Insurance Beehatch Supremo- Direct any grumbles about repudiated claims my way
Yamaha SR125 - Scrapped 13/06/2006. Hyosung GT125R - Totalled 18/11/2006.
Honda VFR400R NC30 - Totalled 09/02/2007. CBR600F - currently in 1 piece...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

AcIdBuRnZ
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Jul 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:58 - 10 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBH, I'm kinda fed up with the nodding thing Confused
____________________
Past: Honda NSR125R >> Kawasaki ER-5a2 >> Kawasaki ZZR-600e1 >> Suzuki GSXR-750Y >> Honda VTR 1000 Firestorm
"Chickity China the Chinese Chicken..."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kam
Crazy Courier



Joined: 03 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:58 - 10 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd take it as a sort of "good luck" thing, unless they were nodding to the instructor who they might have known/got lessons off
____________________
Proud owner of a Honda CG 2005 model with 1005 Miles on the clock - Bought on 19/12/2005 Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:00 - 10 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

AcIdBuRnZ wrote:
TBH, I'm kinda fed up with the nodding thing Confused


Try a high 5 next time Wink
____________________
Current : MSX 125 Past : CBR 900RR Monkeybike : c50 LAC : ZXR750 H2 : FZR600 : ZX7R P3 : YW100 : TRX850: Trophy 900 T309 : GSXR 600 L0: Monkeybike : XJ6S Whosthedaddy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:19 - 10 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wouldn't put me off.

I managed to ignore the old man who started directing me into the space when doing my car test reverse park years ago, a nod wouldn't even enter my radar.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Louise
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:41 - 10 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe if someone nodded at me id be well chuffed Thumbs Up

But, they dont Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:51 - 10 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise wrote:
hehe if someone nodded at me id be well chuffed Thumbs Up

But, they dont Laughing


If you could ride around without a lid, then all the boys would be nodding Embarassed
____________________
Current : MSX 125 Past : CBR 900RR Monkeybike : c50 LAC : ZXR750 H2 : FZR600 : ZX7R P3 : YW100 : TRX850: Trophy 900 T309 : GSXR 600 L0: Monkeybike : XJ6S Whosthedaddy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

BanditBitch
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:36 - 10 Aug 2006    Post subject: Re: Would it put you off? Reply with quote

ZZR Girl wrote:
I always nod to other bikes. I do it automatically as a matter of habit. A few times now, I've nodded to a group of two riders, one being an L-plater with a bigger bike behind, and it occurred to me today that they are probably out on their test or having a lesson.

If you were on your test and another biker nodded at you, would it put you off or make you feel reassured?


I can answer that with first hand experience now Very Happy I had 2 nods on my test today, and it didnt put me off in the slightest.... and yes its quite reassuring and nice. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Louise
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:14 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone nodded to me last night Thumbs Up I was attempting to filter. I managed a few cars then gave up and he nodded as I pulled over.
Well he/she cant tell with the lids on Rolling Eyes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 55 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 1.1 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 130.5 Kb