Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Sparks - 1 HSBC - 0

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot



Joined: 30 Aug 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:34 - 09 Aug 2006    Post subject: Sparks - 1 HSBC - 0 Reply with quote

Had a shit day at work today, tired and just crap day, come home pissed off and got letter from HSBC regarding the claim of all my past overdraft fees from the past 2 years, in the letter was some bullshit "comments" leaflet and the letter started off saying how the fees are justified and shit, so I thought I'd been fobbed off and would actually have to take them to court Crying or Very sad

But then I flicked over and it said "however we don't want to pay the court costs blah de blah so heres your £365 back"

Fuckin' result Cool Laughing Laughing Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

SilvaRizla
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 30 Apr 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:36 - 09 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAHA! I got the same letter on Saturday £2000.00 - woohoo
____________________
I'm Ivan Dobski the Meatsafe Murderer only I never done it, I only said that I done it so they'd take the truncheon out of my bottom
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rob-B
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 21 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:25 - 09 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one! Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

tribal_tiger
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:18 - 10 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've £990 waiting with HSBC. If this all goes through OK, I've moving onto the accounts I had in uni! Twisted Evil
____________________
How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could Chuck Norris?

All of it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Fortuna
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:27 - 10 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Natwest owe me a lot.
I've got back 300 from Coop so far.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:39 - 10 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's this you're claiming back? Bank charges or overdraft interest?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Groove
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:00 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why cant this happen to me Shocked Mad Evil or Very Mad
____________________
|| Past: 1991 Kawasaki ZXR 250 ~ 2003 Honda CBR 600 F Sport ~ 2004 Kawasaki ZX6R B1H 636 ~ 1999 Yamaha R1 ~ 1999 Kawasaki ZX6R J ~ 2004 Kawasaki ZX6R B1H 636 ~ 1998 Honda VTR1000F Firestorm ~ K1 GSXR 600 Track bike ~ K6 GSXR 1000 ~ 2006 Speed Triple 1050 || Current: 2005 R1 https://www.adrucore.co.uk
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

instigator
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:05 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Re: Sparks - 1 HSBC - 0 Reply with quote

Can't help it mate, sorry..:

Sparks! wrote:
Blah blah blah


= I'm a fuckwit that can't look after my finances!!


Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:07 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i really wish i cd be arsed to go through old statements totting up bank charges for going overdrawn, but I dont think it would be that much in my case.

I love the fact that you can make the banks pay back what they stole though.

The thing that does annoy me though is that if a court would decide that the charges were excessive, why are the bank still allowed to take peoples money ?

If someone was caught shoplifting and only some shops bothered to collar him, it wouldnt just be a case of making him give the stuff back and letting him go off to do more robbing. He would be cautioned and eventually charged, and if he did it enough times he would go to prison.

Someone should stop banks taking money in this way. It seems that in this country, that although individuals have to obey the law, companies dont.
____________________
colin1 is officially faster than god
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mrs Kickstart
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 06 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:08 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colin

When you open an account with any bank they have terms and condtions. Thease cover which services you can use for free and which incurr a charge,
In most cases the charges occur when YOU deciede to sped THEIR money becasue you have none. Now the banks charge you for this they can in some chases take action for theft (because YOU spent THEIR money)
Most charges can be avoid by asking for loans in advance and operting with in the rule.

Banks are businesses, not charities, not public services. Personal accounts are generally completely free and make very little for the banks.
If you do not like the services use a tin under the mattress.
Regards
Charlotte
____________________
Help fight the safety camera partnerships Twisted Evil -- www.pepipoo.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Jesus_Christ
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 25 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:23 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

They can still charge you fee's it's the amount that's the problem. The recommended limit is now around £12. In the past I've been charged £25 for a automatic letter!

Going through my old statements I've found charges of £65 with no explination!

The bank no longer charge me, but I'm still claiming back the massive charges I got in the past.
____________________
If you ate Stephen Hawking, would that count as one of your "five a day" portions?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mrs Kickstart
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 06 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:43 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Well you may think the amount is high (and to a point I agree) , but you still knew what it was before you incured it. The 65 quid if you did not know why not ask at the time ?

It not a charge you were forced to incurr or contract you were forced into.
But you want the benifits of cheques, cards, direct debits standing order etc etc etc.
Regards
Charlotte
____________________
Help fight the safety camera partnerships Twisted Evil -- www.pepipoo.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

kawakid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:14 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to note, when you get your money back.

The bank might cancel your account with themselves, which they are allowed to do.
____________________
I've a twin and a 4.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Jesus_Christ
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 25 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:19 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's about time i set up a joint account with the missus! Only been living together 5 years! Confused
____________________
If you ate Stephen Hawking, would that count as one of your "five a day" portions?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tarmacsurfer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:05 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mrs Kickstart wrote:
It not a charge you were forced to incurr or contract you were forced into.


Not often this happens, but sorry Charlotte, I totally disagree. In almost all aspects of financial management you are forced to have a basic bank account. Be it for wages, benefits or bill payment you are forced to have a functioning account with a recognised and accreddited financial institution. There have been numerous cases over the last few years where my financial situation has been unstable. In a few of these cases the bank in question has bounced a direct debit, then shown the account credited with more than enough to cover the debit. It was simply the DD arrived at 0002 and for some reason their system didn't update the credit until 0900. This bounce meaning I get charged £35 for an automatically printed letter telling me their system flagged up a breach of the overdraft. To put it bluntly, that is blatent profiteering.
____________________
I'm immortal. Well, so far.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ninja
Caption Abuser



Joined: 22 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:46 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

got my identical letter on tuesday, offering settlement on £700 of the £710 I claimed (!?) ... signed it and sent it off the next day ... waiting to see it hit the account now Thumbs Up
____________________
James
4 wheels transport the Body ... 2 wheels transport the SOUL
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Jesus_Christ
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 25 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:05 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninja wrote:
got my identical letter on tuesday, offering settlement on £700 of the £710 I claimed (!?) ... signed it and sent it off the next day ... waiting to see it hit the account now Thumbs Up


How far through the proces did you go before they sent you this letter. I've sent the fist letter, which will have been with them for 2 weeks on Tuesday, so I'm now getting the 2nd letter ready.

Did you have to threaten them with court before they caved?
____________________
If you ate Stephen Hawking, would that count as one of your "five a day" portions?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:17 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mrs Kickstart wrote:
Colin

When you open an account with any bank they have terms and condtions. Thease cover which services you can use for free and which incurr a charge,
In most cases the charges occur when YOU deciede to sped THEIR money becasue you have none. Now the banks charge you for this they can in some chases take action for theft (because YOU spent THEIR money)
Most charges can be avoid by asking for loans in advance and operting with in the rule.

Banks are businesses, not charities, not public services. Personal accounts are generally completely free and make very little for the banks.
If you do not like the services use a tin under the mattress.
Regards
Charlotte


banks can makle money off current accounts by only paying 0.1% interest, and selling people all sorts of crap they dont need

bank charges are only supposed to cover the banks costs.
penalty charges are illegal which is why they dont want to go to court

i like the service of having a bank account but that does not give them the right to flout the law and take peoples money (which is against the law)

if it wasnt against the law, they would be happy to go to court and wouldnt be paying out everyone who wants their money back

if someone goes overdrawn of whatever reason, they owe the bank some money. Maybe a fiver, the bank is not entitled to then slap on a £50 bank charge. Its illegal. They wont stop doing it but the courts can make them pay the money back.

The people who are hardest hit are people who dont have much money and/or are crap at handling their finances.

If all the banks have terms and conditions that imply they are entitled to take money off you, you dont really have much of a choice to go elsewhere. The only choice is to point out that its theft and claw the money back.

The problem is the banks think they are entitled to it. They arent, and the courts will tell them so, but I think they shouldnt be allowed to steal in the first place.
____________________
colin1 is officially faster than god
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:21 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninja wrote:
got my identical letter on tuesday, offering settlement on £700 of the £710 I claimed (!?) ... signed it and sent it off the next day ... waiting to see it hit the account now Thumbs Up


what !??

the cheating bastards are offering back less than they stole ?

i can see why you signed it, but i think ppl shd make a stand. all back or court

(even though I cant actually be arsed to go through my bank statements)

the funny thing is, they have stopped making the past few years of statements available online, and they have also started trying to persuade me to just have online statements instead of posted ones. This is a blatant attempt to stop people clawing back the money they are owed.
____________________
colin1 is officially faster than god
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:26 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have to look through any of your statements, you write to your bank getting them to do that. This is explained in all the links posted which detail how to get your money back.

Colin, it's really not stealing Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Jesus_Christ
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 25 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:27 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin1 wrote:

the funny thing is, they have stopped making the past few years of statements available online, and they have also started trying to persuade me to just have online statements instead of posted ones. This is a blatant attempt to stop people clawing back the money they are owed.


With HSBC I just pulled back the past 6 years of statements online.

Takes a while to go through them all, but all there!
____________________
If you ate Stephen Hawking, would that count as one of your "five a day" portions?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ninja
Caption Abuser



Joined: 22 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:12 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesus_Christ wrote:
colin1 wrote:

the funny thing is, they have stopped making the past few years of statements available online, and they have also started trying to persuade me to just have online statements instead of posted ones. This is a blatant attempt to stop people clawing back the money they are owed.


With HSBC I just pulled back the past 6 years of statements online.

Takes a while to go through them all, but all there!
Quote:
How far through the proces did you go before they sent you this letter. I've sent the fist letter, which will have been with them for 2 weeks on Tuesday, so I'm now getting the 2nd letter ready.

Did you have to threaten them with court before they caved?


I've only been online banking for 2 or 3 years now ... I checked on the advice of someone else who'd made a claim ... I actually have 6 years' worth of statements online! Shot in the foot for the bank methinks, but whatever ...

I sent an initial letter to my branch, a slightly modified one from those you can find on the various links being thrown about, but basically the same one. Gave them a stated 14 days to respond/ refund. on day 21 or 28 I got a letter asking for a breakdown of my total figure ... muppet, I should have included the list from the off! ... gave them the info and stated again, 14 days to respond/ refund ... on day 21, my cutoff for actually getting the Small Claim info together, I got the 'offer' letter from them.

I'd initially written to 'the manager' at my local branch, but everything since has been from a 'customer support centre' in the middle of the counrty somewhere ....

hope this helps

james
____________________
James
4 wheels transport the Body ... 2 wheels transport the SOUL
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Jesus_Christ
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 25 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:16 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I addressed mine to customer services but took it into the bank by hand and got my recipt. I'm about to send the 2nd letter to them. I've put full breakdowns of the charges so hopefully I'll hear back soon!
____________________
If you ate Stephen Hawking, would that count as one of your "five a day" portions?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:47 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
You don't have to look through any of your statements, you write to your bank getting them to do that. This is explained in all the links posted which detail how to get your money back.


cool

but the only link i have seen says you have to tot them up your self and ask for that amount

https://www.fool.co.uk/news/foolseyeview/2006/fev060504c.htm?source=ioowfeml0040004

what is this other link you speak of ?

oh and they are stealing even if they think terms and conditions entitle them to steal
____________________
colin1 is officially faster than god
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot



Joined: 30 Aug 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:33 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
You don't have to look through any of your statements, you write to your bank getting them to do that. This is explained in all the links posted which detail how to get your money back.

Colin, it's really not stealing Laughing


you do have to look though your own statements, the bank won't do it for you, you can write to them and they will send you the past 6 years worth of statements though, but that's all they will do.

Most of my charges incurred were simply because the bank put more charges on my account throwing me back over my limit.. if they didn't charge me then I wouldn't have gone over my limit and incurred another charge.. and so forth.. I can understand them wanting a fee for going over the limit but maybe they should take the fee money when you can afford it, rather than forcing you back over your limit.. I've been charged up to £125 at 1 time and I never even received a single letter from them, so what am I giving them £125 for?? it's cost them NOTHING whatsoever as they never sent me any letters (not even an automatic one) so this is blatant money making on their part...

I set up another bank account before starting this process so I don't really care if HSBC close my account, but why would they?? they will be losing out on interest fees and so forth which I'm happy to pay as service fees.. I am happy to pay interest to them if I use my overdraft, no problems there! they want my money so they won't close my account! Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 53 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.19 Sec - Server Load: 0.69 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 134.12 Kb