Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


My Riding Assessment

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:26 - 14 Aug 2006    Post subject: My Riding Assessment Reply with quote

After booking my DAS for the 24th of this month, I was told to come in on Saturday 12th for 2 hour assessment/lesson on my 125 so he could see where I'm up to before he puts me on the 500.

Pulled into Graingers School of Motorcycling, Warrington at 9:00am in the morning, after spending the previous night in the GF's car trying to find the buggering place, it was concealed down the only road/path we didn't go down ("Am I fuck getting my car through there").

The instructors were nice, ended up sitting at one of the tables with them smoking a couple of cigs and having a chat about bikes in general, waiting for a few lads to show up who were having CBT's that day. It was in a smallish garage/warehouse, with lines of ER5's, GN125's and scooters. The bikes looked in decent condition and seemed like a cosy little place to be spending the best part of a week around in a fortnights time.

After waiting for a while, some of the lads showed up and me and the main instructor set off for a 2 hour ride around Warrington. I'll never get used to those intercoms, my left ear was hurting for the entire ride.

I was kind of nervous pulling out of the test centre, as I'm not fond of people watching me ride at the best of times. I found I was much more aware of my speed, and felt less safe with someone following me.

Took the bike up to what I thought was 30, and looked down, "Damn, 40"... changed down a gear and carried on, aware that I will have to be checking my speed now I'm gearing up to take my full test.

As I swung round the first roundabout after looking and signalling, I hear the words "That was excellent" coming through my earpiece... I was starting to relax and get used to having someone scutinise my every move.

After riding through more 30 zones, speedbump areas, and roundabouts he took me on an NSL Single Carriageway, I acclerated and progressed up through the gears gently, trying not to hammer it as much as I usually would...

We went through a few more 30 zones, and then pulled up in a quiet road for a smoke and a chat...

He told me my riding was excellent, and he had no problem putting me on the 500. He said I need to work on my road position, observation and gear when pulling into junctions from a main road, and that I need to ride LEFT of centre for my test (But he said where I was on the road was a position I should use in the real world). He told me to practise these things over the coming weeks, as he would rather teach me how to ride the bike above test standard and not have to worry about ironing out the basics with me.

I was then asked to do a U Turn, which I totally fucked up. I should've practiced this. I think having my tankbag on made me a bit nervous of putting the bars to the lock.

He then went through the technique of turning, and after 2 or 3 goes I managed to do them almost perfectly, I had to bring my right leg backwards a bit to stop the bars knocking my legs though, as soon as he was getting his lid on and getting back onto his z750 I did a couple of really good turns... "Hope you bloody saw them!" I said as I swung my bike round back in front of him and got ready to move off for some more practice.

After noticing a marked improvement in my riding already, we rode back to the training centre, where we had another smoke (My lungs!) and chatted about the day.

All in all an excellent day, I had a 2 hour ride after that by myself to a mates house to look at his dad's 24,000 miler GS500E, he let me ride it forwards into his garage Very Happy

I'm really looking forward to the DAS now, I learnt a lot just in that assessment.

If you got here, you deserve a medal, sorry for boring you all Wink

Toby
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

matt_uk
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:35 - 14 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

everyone is nervous at the begining of any kind of test/lesson and do not ride to your full potential until you get like 10 mins into it, and start riding perfectly

good luck with the das, hope you pass Thumbs Up
____________________
- - - BIKE - - - Passed CBT : 21/07/06 - - - Currently : Riding a 2001 Aprilia rs125 (SOLD)
- - - CAR - - - Passed Theory 20/07/06 - - - Lessons, Test on 15th Jan 08... Passed 2 minors
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:51 - 14 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ta,

Bit confused about speed bumps, I was looking in mirrors/lifesaver to take them through the middle of the road on the white line if it was safe, or I'd take the left hand gap if it was unsafe, or ride over them... My instructor said something but I couldn't hear it?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rit
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 24 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:11 - 14 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you got here, you deserve a medal, sorry for boring you all


Yeah, was a bit boring but readable..... Wink

Nice to hear you was starting to relax. Thats gotta be 50% of probs being on edge I recon.

Good luck later on Thumbs Up
____________________
You watching this rubbish?
Naaaa, switch over, Neighbours is on in a minute!
www.ritzbitz.co.uk
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

BanditBitch
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 04:44 - 14 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you'll nail the DAS Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 05:00 - 14 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my CBT about 6 weeks before my DAS.

The DAS was a 4 day course:

Arrow Return to riding (125cc)
Arrow DAS day 1 (125cc)
Arrow DAS day 2 (500cc)
Arrow Test

I was a little unsure of the return to riding part, but its a good measure of how you are going to perform later on in the test.

Unlike you, I had never riden a bike except the CBT.

Its designed to assess your basic understanding, skills and knowledge of riding as well as a refresher. The instructors may at this stage believe that the 4 day course may not be appropriate and suggest more lessons or may suggest that you riding is superb and you're ready for 'D day'.

Good luck Thumbs Up
____________________
Current : MSX 125 Past : CBR 900RR Monkeybike : c50 LAC : ZXR750 H2 : FZR600 : ZX7R P3 : YW100 : TRX850: Trophy 900 T309 : GSXR 600 L0: Monkeybike : XJ6S Whosthedaddy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 05:12 - 14 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i did my DAS, they let me turn up early for lessons and use the er5 in the car park to practise u turns

ask your instructor if you can do this too, as it gives you a lot more time to get it right

i think its probably easier on a 500 than a 125, once you get the hang of it to be honest

i found it good to keep the revs constant at a bit above idle, and slip the clutch to control speed. a bit of back brake is good too

the bike is more balanced when the engine is revving a bit
____________________
colin1 is officially faster than god
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ram_doom
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Mar 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:52 - 14 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Memories! Mr. Green Nice one Toby, you'll find the 500 is easier to ride. Especially with regards to holding a decent road position Thumbs Up
____________________
TL1000s, KDX200
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:04 - 14 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good day out.
I spent a total of 7 hours on the bike on Saturday, 3 of them on an assessed ride. Didn't really get much feedback other than 'that was alright'. Guess that's a good thing Very Happy as I'd have been told if really bad.

Be aware that you'll be training to pass the test. Although this guy sounds like he can show you how to ride on the road once that hurdle is overcome.

Best of luck Thumbs Up
____________________
...and the whirlwind is in the thorn trees, it's hard for thee to kick against the pricks...
Gibbs, what did Duckie look like when he was younger? Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:06 - 14 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

map wrote:
Sounds like a good day out.
I spent a total of 7 hours on the bike on Saturday, 3 of them on an assessed ride. Didn't really get much feedback other than 'that was alright'. Guess that's a good thing Very Happy as I'd have been told if really bad.

Be aware that you'll be training to pass the test. Although this guy sounds like he can show you how to ride on the road once that hurdle is overcome.

Best of luck Thumbs Up


Yeah I've heard from other people that he teaches you a lot lot more than you need to pass the test... Think you get invited to rideouts etc with them after you've passed too
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

yambabe
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:17 - 14 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heehee, told you you'd get on OK with Malc Toby!

Wait til you start the DAS, not only will your lungs collapse from the amount of smoke but your bladder will explode due to the influx of tea....... Laughing

Incidentally, re the speedbump thing, he always taught me to go around the inside of them, and if you move back out afterwards don't forget your lifesaver!
____________________
Sod falling in love, I wanna fall in chocolate. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

cestrian
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:03 - 14 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that boring. Sounds like he did a decent job of calming your nerves.

Good luck with your DAS.

g)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Marah
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:03 - 14 Aug 2006    Post subject: Re: My Riding Assessment Reply with quote

Toby R wrote:
I need to ride LEFT of centre for my test


How times have changed, when I learned it was always right of centre.

As for U turns, I find resting my foot on the back brake can help with control at really low speeds. Try it in a straight line first to get used to it.

Good luck Thumbs Up
____________________
Someone complimented me on my driving. They left a note on my windscreen, it said "Parking Fine" Very Happy
Old Bikes -1990 Yamaha DT50MX > 1988 Kawasaki KMX125 > 1991 Kawasaki KMX125 > 1981 Yamaha XS250SE > 2000 Suzuki Bandit 600 > 1999 Kawasaki ZX7R Ninja
Bike - 1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:31 - 14 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was just nerves, and my tankbag, as I can usually turn the bike full lock in complete circles for ages...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 56 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 1.13 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 87.67 Kb